Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 6:10 am

From experience, an extrovert with poor social skills can become a shy person, whom people assume is an introvert. There are extrovert Aspies out there and I've met a couple. I'm a natural extrovert. I must be, it was obvious until I was 7yrs and that part of me is still there, but trapped. I became aware that others were laughing at me and I was bullied a lot. I became painfully shy, for 25 years. After my daughter was born, I decided I had to overcome this, for her sake, but I still have some tendencies to be shy in groups. I feel that if I wasn't as high functioning as I am, I would not have been so aware of the reactions of others, and would have continued with my extroversion. Being a shy extrovert is a rubbish combination and I'm dreading it happening to my daughter.

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2011, 3:30 pm

Supernova008 wrote:
Could someone tell me what an extroverted Autistic behaves/is like? I always thought they are more or less mutually exclusive.

An extroverted autistic has a large desire to (and does) interact with other people. Like most people on the autism spectrum, they can still be socially awkward and/or say the randomest things without thinking.

Wooster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2011, 7:49 pm

Yeah, I've come to realise that if I'm not actually extroverted then I'm at least certainly not introverted - once I'm in a social situation I have no automatic urge to hide away and if anything always have to exercise restraint. Unfortunately I still often get more involved than I should - things usually inevitably go wrong - and the overall experience can quite often leave me feeling not very good - especially when strangers are involved. And I always fizz out and feel wrecked no matter how good or bad it's going.

In the supermarket the other day I had trouble finding lemon juice - it ended up being in the "Sauces" isle - I mean, what the heck is with THAT! So I said my piece to all and sundry around me about how freakin dumb it is to put lemon JUICE in the SAUCES isle rather than the JUICES isle!! ! I expected everyone to agree, but in fact I think it came THAT close to cops being called. I really don't know what's wrong with people.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 5:55 am

Social impairment and social inclination are 2 different things. So yes, you can be extroverted and autistic.

The 2 students that I have/have had that I know for certain are autistic are both chatty little extroverts.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 6:51 pm

Yes depressive aspie, their are no limits to what can be achieved when your depressive so much so that I used to be the "life of the party" I used to get invited to said parties in my 20 s now non depressive and well packaged :) I'd feel like an A + grade moron if I tried to attempt said strange activities. :P

Also there's a member near me who's an eager beaver :wink: and I had him worked out being social./wanting to meet new people had become his AS special interest, so yes when an aspie has a special interest their are no limits to what can be achieved. :wink:

Sadly I don't have any (only semi special) and their of no productive use , eg kicking ar#se in Dirt 3 , some reviewers have said it was a 'challenging" game I say they where perhaps noobs even on the harder setting I only found it moderately hard , actually thats a bit of a concerning trend that games are getting easier and easier over the years or am I in fact getting more hardcore ? :roll: :roll: :roll:

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 6:55 pm

Surfman wrote:
I am naturally very extroverted but have been bullied into submission since birth.

However to make life easier for me with NT's, I believe STFU to be the best policy for me

+ 1

Especially so when it comes to "jokes" I 've found I'm about as funny to them as they are to me .

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 4:38 am

I have one introverted autistic son and one extroverted autistic son. How about I just give some examples of how they talk?

I asked them once to tell me something good about themselves.

Introverted son: After a long silence, "I can bend my thumb back." :)

Extroverted son: Let me see. I am pretty smart, and very nice, quite reasonable, and rather decent looking, perhaps more than decent looking. I'm polite and try to not hurt people's feelings, though I sometimes can't help it. My friends think I'm funny. I'm good at Math, French, computers, art...etc. I don't follow stupid trends and do stupid things other kids do... (it went on for several more minutes but I couldn't remember the rest.) :D

If I point out a beautiful sunset or something and tell them to look at it:

Introverted son looks at it.

Extraverted son say "That looks stunning. It's all orange and purple, no, magenta and streaky. Hey where's my camera? How about your camera? What is that bright blob on the side? UFO? (Starts instant imagination of UFO story or a series of quotes and jokes related to UFO.) Oh it's a sun dog? What is that and how that works?"

Basically if your family keep telling you to say something, you're introverted. If they keep telling you to shut up, you're extroverted. Most people are in the middle of course, but you can compare the number of speak up requests to the shut up requests to decide. :)

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 7:50 am

y-pod wrote:
I have one introverted autistic son and one extroverted autistic son. How about I just give some examples of how they talk?

Extroverted son: Let me see. I am pretty smart, and very nice, quite reasonable, and rather decent looking, perhaps more than decent looking. I'm polite and try to not hurt people's feelings, though I sometimes can't help it. My friends think I'm funny. I'm good at Math, French, computers, art...etc. I don't follow stupid trends and do stupid things other kids do... (it went on for several more minutes but I couldn't remember the rest.) :D

Extraverted son say "That looks stunning. It's all orange and purple, no, magenta and streaky. Hey where's my camera? How about your camera? What is that bright blob on the side? UFO? (Starts instant imagination of UFO story or a series of quotes and jokes related to UFO.) Oh it's a sun dog? What is that and how that works?"

Basically if your family keep telling you to say something, you're introverted. If they keep telling you to shut up, you're extroverted. Most people are in the middle of course, but you can compare the number of speak up requests to the shut up requests to decide. :)

That was really interesting and nice to read! :)

Charloz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Oct 2014, 7:59 am

Supernova008 wrote:
Could someone tell me what an extroverted Autistic behaves/is like? I always thought they are more or less mutually exclusive.

I am an extroverted aspie, feel free to ask me anything you like.

In real life I am a joker, typically all smiles and the center point of attention at certain gatherings. I speak my mind, I have a loud voice and an even louder laugh and I can put people at ease and break the ice in first conversations with my sense of humor. At the same time, my autism prevents me from actually making friends beyond that first good impression. I tend to be well liked, but few people get to know what I am truly like. I have few friends.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 6:04 pm

y-pod wrote:

Great description, hilarious actually.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 6:09 pm

Charloz wrote:

In real life I am a joker, ..., I have a loud voice and an even louder laugh and I can put people at ease and break the ice in first conversations with my sense of humor. .
Don't take this the wrong way. I have no intentions of being mean here. I am just stating a fact to prove a difference in introvert and extrovert Aspies. By your description, I could not even be in the same room with you, not even for a moment and I could never be your friend. I don't mean that as a personal attack, I mean it because it would be physically impossible for me to sustain the presence of someone with that kind of personality.

Wreck It Ralph

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 6:17 pm

Phonic wrote:
extroverted autistics want friends but can't have em, introverted autistics don't want friends as much.

That's me.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 6:38 pm

vickygleitz wrote:
Phonic wrote:
extroverted autistics want friends but can't have em, introverted autistics don't want friends as much.

That's me.
Which one?

Wreck It Ralph

Charloz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Oct 2014, 2:18 am

skibum wrote:
Charloz wrote:

In real life I am a joker, ..., I have a loud voice and an even louder laugh and I can put people at ease and break the ice in first conversations with my sense of humor. .
Don't take this the wrong way. I have no intentions of being mean here. I am just stating a fact to prove a difference in introvert and extrovert Aspies. By your description, I could not even be in the same room with you, not even for a moment and I could never be your friend. I don't mean that as a personal attack, I mean it because it would be physically impossible for me to sustain the presence of someone with that kind of personality.

It's alright. To be fair, a lot of people must not want to be my friend, and I really don't want to be the friend to many. I can adapt myself to my surroundings and be more quiet and calm if the situation and the group I am with would demand it. But around boisterous and loud people I will be as boisterous and loud as any of them. In a group of quiet people, I may try to break the tension by cracking a joke or try and make people laugh, because too much silence also makes me uncomfortable.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 2:57 am

I'm not exactly an aspie, but I am do have health problems that can make me look and feel aspie-ish. I look quite introverted to most people, but that's because I've dealt with a lot of trauma and I get frustrated with most people. I notice that my depression gets worse when I spend too much time alone. I also notice that my energy level drops a lot.

It also drops when I'm around frustrating people or I'm having a bad day. If I'm having a good day or I'm around the right people I get energized by socializing and act like a typical extrovert. I also notice that my conversations become more back and forth. It's a nice feeling, but it's hard to find.

I also notice that I tend to talk excessively if I find the conversation boring and I'm not too worried about making a good impression. It's a bad habit of mine and it's part of the reason I avoid people my age. I think most people forget what I blab about, but I think people my age would gossip about all the stupid stuff I say.

Benthedemon007
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2016, 3:43 pm

Just imagine an introvert aspie, with bad social skills, rigidity, etc. Now imagine they have a desire to make friends and talk to people, except they get rejected a lot. That's what it's like to be an extroverted aspie.