Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Supernova008
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jun 2011, 3:27 pm

Could someone tell me what an extroverted Autistic behaves/is like? I always thought they are more or less mutually exclusive.

OldFashioned
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 3:31 pm

I don't think there are extrovert aspies but I sometimes have something similar so to speak. At times I can loose all my shyness and do the craziest stuff ever and speak in front of 300 people telling them that grass is red. Then 1 hour later I will usually feel shamed and regret it... I sometimes say random stuff to random people too.

arko5
Raven
Raven

02 Jun 2011, 4:54 pm

I think an extroverted aspie would be like any other extrovert, just with poor social skills (i.e. only talking about their special interests). To be honest it might be a blessing to be introverted, if you're on the autistic spectrum, the lack of desire to be around people and difficulty being around people can kindof co-exist. It would be harder to really want to make friends, try constantly, yet be persistently rebuffed. (saying this I do appreciate that many aspies desire friends, there's a social skills forum after all, but perhaps it's not as intense a desire as a true extrovert would feel)

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 4:55 pm

Seeking out interactions despite you can't handle them well. Being comfortable around a limited number of people you like or know well. Feeling alone if you can't talk to people for long. The need to share your experiences or your interests with someone. Of course, there are limits to these activities.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 4:59 pm

I am sort of like that I act weird and don't make eye contact and stim but im shy half of the time.

roseblood
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2011, 5:20 pm

I know diagnosed and obviously autistic siblings who are very extroverted. They talk loudly and they talk a lot, even when it's not appropriate. They seem to have some degree of learning disability too, with language, and you can tell from their entire demeanor and body language when they talk that they're autistic, so extroversion and introversion aren't any indication of the severity of the autism. I'm much more introverted than them, and no one would ever mistake me for being more autistic than them.

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jun 2011, 5:55 pm

OJani wrote:
Seeking out interactions despite you can't handle them well. Being comfortable around a limited number of people you like or know well. Feeling alone if you can't talk to people for long. The need to share your experiences or your interests with someone. Of course, there are limits to these activities.

This! (i was extroverted)

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 6:38 pm

I am naturally very extroverted but have been bullied into submission since birth.

However to make life easier for me with NT's, I believe STFU to be the best policy for me

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 6:46 pm

extroverted autistics want friends but can't have em, introverted autistics don't want friends as much.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 6:50 pm

arko5 wrote:
I think an extroverted aspie would be like any other extrovert, just with poor social skills (i.e. only talking about their special interests). To be honest it might be a blessing to be introverted, if you're on the autistic spectrum, the lack of desire to be around people and difficulty being around people can kindof co-exist. It would be harder to really want to make friends, try constantly, yet be persistently rebuffed. (saying this I do appreciate that many aspies desire friends, there's a social skills forum after all, but perhaps it's not as intense a desire as a true extrovert would feel)

Absolutely. It must really suck to be an extroverted aspie. Obviously I must be somewhat extroverted because I'm on this website right now, but I'm still probably more introverted than 99% of the world population.

Wooster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2011, 7:27 pm

oldfashioned - I can be like that too.

Phonic hits the nail pretty well I think.

In broad terms I think AS people are like anyone else - there are nice AS people and AS people who are a**holes (I would think / hope that a place like WP doesn't appeal to the latter) - and of course there will be those who are introverted and those who are extroverted.

Panic
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jun 2011, 7:40 pm

I can easily spot an extroverted aspie, they usually are the target of bullying from NTs, they are openly bullied and every ones does their part, its like the movie Powder, or Forest Gump.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 7:49 pm

I would possibly consider myself to be an extroverted aspie.

I do enjoy social situations - I'm neither anti-social nor do I feel drained in social situations as some people on the spectrum can, I get bored and feel isolated when I don't get regular social interaction, even if I don't 'get' how to join-in with others I just like being around them, and I want to make friends even if I'm socially awkward. Most of my friends would tell you I'm talkative, fun, confident and enthusiastic (among some other less favourable labels such as bossy, loud and opinionated), and I like to share experiences. I am also capable of odd busts of unexpected behaviour whether for attention or to encourage others.

I'm still socially awkward, some of my busts of wacky behaviour are ill-advised, some of my behaviour can make me seem strange (being quiet in many situations, very loud and chatty in others), and there will still always be occasions when I have the classic fight or flight reaction to a new situation, environment or person, there are some things I cannot do, and I sometimes struggle to start talking to begin with...but once I do get talking, it's a different matter :)

I am opposed to the idea that all extroverted aspies must be rejected when trying to make friends, it sounds like a very sad existence and I believe I have seen such an example in the past...the person I'm thinking of does stand-up comedy, dances when he goes out, invites himself to parties, and latches onto groups when he's out, he has no idea how people mock/pitty him, thankfully. I'd say I function in such a way that I don't bother people or make myself a target...I'm aspie, but I can be extroverted without being a sad case.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Last edited by Bloodheart on 02 Jun 2011, 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 7:58 pm

Bloodheart wrote:

I do enjoy social situations - I'm neither anti-social nor do I feel drained in social situations as some people on the spectrum can, I get bored and feel isolated when I don't get regular social interaction, even if I don't 'get' how to join-in with others I just like being around them, and I want to make friends even if I'm socially awkward. Most of my friends would tell you I'm talkative, fun, confident and enthusiastic (among some other less favourable labels such as bossy, loud and opinionated), and I like to share experiences. I am also capable of odd busts of wacky or unexpected behaviour for attention or to encourage others to lighten-up or try to enjoy themselves.

I'm still socially awkward, some of my busts of wacky behaviour are ill-advised, some of my behaviour can make me seem strange (being quiet in many situations, very loud and chatty in others), and there will still always be occasions when I have the classic fight or flight reaction to a new situation, environment or person, there are some things I cannot do, and I sometimes struggle to start talking to begin with...but once I do get talking, it's a different matter :)

this is like how i am too except i also have a wicked sense of humor. most of my bad attention seeking is in inapropriate jokes.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 8:03 pm

aspie48 wrote:
Bloodheart wrote:

I do enjoy social situations - I'm neither anti-social nor do I feel drained in social situations as some people on the spectrum can, I get bored and feel isolated when I don't get regular social interaction, even if I don't 'get' how to join-in with others I just like being around them, and I want to make friends even if I'm socially awkward. Most of my friends would tell you I'm talkative, fun, confident and enthusiastic (among some other less favourable labels such as bossy, loud and opinionated), and I like to share experiences. I am also capable of odd busts of wacky or unexpected behaviour for attention or to encourage others to lighten-up or try to enjoy themselves.

this is like how i am too except i also have a wicked sense of humor. most of my bad attention seeking is in inapropriate jokes.

Could be worse, a lot of my attention seeking involved taking off my clothing...

...some bad streaking experiences, but also some good, and in turn some constructive attention seeking in the form of nude modelling. Now I know better than to take my clothes off, no one needs to see THAT...talk about inappropriate :P

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Wooster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2011, 8:06 pm

There's nothing wrong with taking one's clothes off - but doing it at a funeral probably wouldn't go over too well...

Last edited by Wooster on 03 Jun 2011, 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.