Situations that NTs and Aspies would perceive differently?

Page 1 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Supernova008
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jun 2011, 6:41 am

The title didn't fit my whole inquiry, so I will post it here.
I am wondering if there is some simulation, game, situation, or whatever on the internet or somewhere else that has to be solved, looked at or whatever, and NTs and Aspies would do it differently. I realize this might sound a bit muddled, but as an example, there was this video posted on these forums recently where shapes moved around and NTs and Aspies would maybe view it differently. I'm wondering if there is something with a similar aim (not necessarily similar execution). Maybe a text or problem or whatever that an average NT would solve differently from an average Aspie?

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 7:41 am

I've never come across such a thing, but then I don't spend a lot of time looking.

The concept of 'average' - whether applied to aspies or to NTs - is a bit daunting too.

The principal differences I'd expect could be found between the two groups, none of which are easy to track in an online function, are in eye movements and time to response. The latter, principally in expression changes in response to stimuli. By the time you've added languaging and response to verbal questions to the mix, you've lost the point of difference.

Oh yes, there are the responses themselves. Forgot about those. Sorry...

Good luck, though. Keep us informed.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 11:32 am

Supernova008 wrote:
there was this video posted on these forums recently where shapes moved around and NTs and Aspies would maybe view it differently. I'm wondering if there is something with a similar aim (not necessarily similar execution).
I'm the one who posted that: Social Attribution Task , but yeah there are some other things you can try. There are the ever popular lottery questions: You have a 90% chance of loosing, do you buy the ticket? You have a 10% chance of winning, do you buy the ticket? An aspie would likely answer no to both questions. An NT would answer no and yes, respectively.

Then there's this:

Free cup case

ImageImage

The autistic brain picks out the smaller letters first, while the NT brain will process the bigger letters first. You can see the bigger letters, but you need to think about it more. It's a Gestalt grouping.

AspieOrNot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jun 2011, 12:32 pm

rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
Supernova008 wrote:
there was this video posted on these forums recently where shapes moved around and NTs and Aspies would maybe view it differently. I'm wondering if there is something with a similar aim (not necessarily similar execution).
I'm the one who posted that: Social Attribution Task , but yeah there are some other things you can try. There are the ever popular lottery questions: You have a 90% chance of loosing, do you buy the ticket? You have a 10% chance of winning, do you buy the ticket? An aspie would likely answer no to both questions. An NT would answer no and yes, respectively.

Then there's this:

Free cup case

ImageImage

The autistic brain picks out the smaller letters first, while the NT brain will process the bigger letters first. You can see the bigger letters, but you need to think about it more. It's a Gestalt grouping.

I said no to both, to the cup case, meh, I've messed it up as I read the conclusion first and I think I have picked up smaller letters first. At first, the big ones didn't seem letters to me, just random figures made of letters.

I actually highly doubt my Aspieness, but this...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 12:42 pm

I saw both at the same time - I knew that each big letter was made up of small letters.

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jun 2011, 12:51 pm

To me is happened a strange thing:
First letter i noticed is H, second S, third L, fourth L, five S, sixth both.

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 5:07 pm

Anything ceremonial. Like the National Anthem. Most NTs love that kinda stuff, but I just find it a bore.

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jun 2011, 6:37 pm

Interesting with the different-sized letters. I definitely saw the small ones before I even noticed that there were big ones.

I've read about that test before, but have only seen it in contexts that explain it and since I saw it right after its explanation I couldn't tell what my natural reaction to it was. But this time I saw the test without thinking what it was about first, and I definitely saw the small letters before I saw the big ones.

Now convinced that I'm a bit autistic, but still unsure if I'd qualify for a diagnosis, since it causes me few problems. Apparently people who are familiar with the autism spectrum can readily spot that I'm a bit autistic, though.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 11:11 pm

Can someone (maybe an NT) explain why paying the extra dollar was intentional? I can't get my head around this.

Wooster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jun 2011, 11:38 pm

The OP question is something I've pondered too since getting into all this - such a method of assessment - rather than relying on professional opinions of idiots - would make me a lot happier about the whole thing.

As soon as I saw the picture I thought oh - shapes made up of letters - but deliberately turned away from it to read the whole thing from top - I answered no to both lottery questions - and had read it thru a few times before I got what it was all about - wierd - then when i looked again at the picture I realised the shapes were very letter like too but couldn't figure out what overall picture it was meant to be - in the end I gave up and read the description.

Another tick in the box for me too it would seem.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 11:56 pm

ocdgirl123 wrote:
Can someone (maybe an NT) explain why paying the extra dollar was intentional? I can't get my head around this.
If you scroll down in that free cup link, there's a word document that you can download that explains it. Just click on "Zalla and Machery ms" I can't figure it out either, but that paper is the best chance that either of us have.

My first reaction from those vignettes was "well how am I supposed to know? I don't know this guy and I don't know how much he values his dollar." He used the statement "I don't care," so I associated that statement with an unintentional action. It seems to make sense. If you don't care about paying more money, then chances are the action wasn't intentional. I think what it comes down to is how much you assume the guy values the dollar. This was something I got from that word document:
Quote:
to understand that getting a free cup is not intentional—one does not need to ascribe a purely instrumental desire to the agent. Thus, we would not expect people with and without Asperger Syndrome to disagree on the intentional nature of getting a free cup. By contrast, to understand the sequence of events described in the extra-dollar case correctly—particularly, to understand that paying an extra-dollar is intentional—one needs to ascribe a purely instrumental desire to the agent.

Quote:
One judges that paying an extra-dollar is intentional because one has represented this action as the object of a purely instrumental desire, while one judges that getting a free cup is not intentional because this action is not instrumental and one has not represented it as the object of any desire.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 Jun 2011, 12:15 am

rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
Supernova008 wrote:

Then there's this:

Free cup case

ImageImage

Hmm, not intentional to both of the free cup scenarios.

I see the smaller letters easily but the larger letters take more effort.

I'm pretty impulsive, so I might buy the lottery tickets.

Wooster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2011, 4:55 am

I didn't realise the free cup thing was a link - was wondering what people were talking about. I just took a look and my first reaction is that he made it clear it didn't matter what it cost - the extra dollar didn't matter as far as getting the drink so no it wasn't intentional - just consequential - indeed just as getting the special cup in the first example was simply a consequence of getting the biggest drink.

Thinking about it for a little while I CAN see how knowing that's what it would probably cost and going ahead with getting the drink could be described as intentionally paying (it's not exactly voluntary tho) - so I guess I'd have to answer YES.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 11:29 am

rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
This was something I got from that word document:
Quote:
to understand that getting a free cup is not intentional—one does not need to ascribe a purely instrumental desire to the agent. Thus, we would not expect people with and without Asperger Syndrome to disagree on the intentional nature of getting a free cup. By contrast, to understand the sequence of events described in the extra-dollar case correctly—particularly, to understand that paying an extra-dollar is intentional—one needs to ascribe a purely instrumental desire to the agent.

Quote:
One judges that paying an extra-dollar is intentional because one has represented this action as the object of a purely instrumental desire, while one judges that getting a free cup is not intentional because this action is not instrumental and one has not represented it as the object of any desire.

Still makes no sense. Do they explain what they mean by "instrumental desire" in ordinary English? The question seems dependent on how you choose to define "intent" in both cases.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 11:46 am

Wooster wrote:
I didn't realise the free cup thing was a link - was wondering what people were talking about. I just took a look and my first reaction is that he made it clear it didn't matter what it cost - the extra dollar didn't matter as far as getting the drink so no it wasn't intentional - just consequential - indeed just as getting the special cup in the first example was simply a consequence of getting the biggest drink.

Thinking about it for a little while I CAN see how knowing that's what it would probably cost and going ahead with getting the drink could be described as intentionally paying (it's not exactly voluntary tho) - so I guess I'd have to answer YES.

I still don't see how the second case is any more intentional. It's not like they were offering the largest size without having to pay the extra dollar in which case he would be intentionally stupid. :lol: But clearly he was so thirsty that the lack of desire to pay an extra dollar was inconsequential in comparison to his desire to quench his thirst.

AspieOrNot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jun 2011, 11:54 am

Has anyone got similar pictures or situations which NTs and Aspies would percieve differently? I find them interesting.