Situations that NTs and Aspies would perceive differently?

Page 5 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 12:39 pm

It's obvious that many researchers have a low opinion of autistic perception, usually assumed rather than stated. That's why I always like to email them. I'm always very engaging and they're just not. You can't easily fight prejudice like that. But the science will prove us out in the end. That's what science does, it's Borgishly relentless.

PersephoneX
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2012, 12:47 pm

fraac wrote:
It's obvious that many researchers have a low opinion of autistic perception, usually assumed rather than stated. That's why I always like to email them. I'm always very engaging and they're just not. You can't easily fight prejudice like that. But the science will prove us out in the end. That's what science does, it's Borgishly relentless.

We need a legal advocate who could demand proof/challenge these so called tests or an Aspie scientist who could conduct the same tests and publish any opposing results. Anything that has been falsified can be subject to a class action lawsuit. Why should we stand for discrimination?

PersephoneX
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2012, 12:50 pm

“Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to actually get the facts.” - E.B. White

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 1:02 pm

Don't worry about it. The science will get there in the end.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 2:10 pm

PersephoneX wrote:
So far, no one has answered these questions in the ascribed "neurotypical" way, which leads me to believe that this and the other formentioned tests are not correct measures.

I think all it measures is how easily people are taken in by corporate promotional sales tactics.

PersephoneX
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2012, 2:12 pm

dianthus wrote:
PersephoneX wrote:
So far, no one has answered these questions in the ascribed "neurotypical" way, which leads me to believe that this and the other formentioned tests are not correct measures.

I think all it measures is how easily people are taken in by corporate promotional sales tactics.

LOL :P Truly.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 11:34 pm

Just watched a documental recently, and it had a section about the McGurk effect. Am I the only one who doesn't hear any difference at all, no matter what articulation the video shows?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 1:11 pm

My wife and I once received a letter accusing us of being communists and fascists. I thought that this was a neutral oxymoron, but my NT partner was quite offended.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 1:51 pm

The right answer to the cup poser is...

He did NOT intentionally get the commemorative cup.
But that he DID intentionally pay the extra dollar.

Dont know if thats the "NT" answer.
But it is the right answer...I think.

The Panda Cafe chain of fast Chinese food offers tempting looking shrimp and walnut. I will point to it, and they will inform me that its "two dollars extra". Usually I refuse and pick a standard price entree instead. But sometime I will spring for it. Pay the extra dollar or two to experince the shrimp and walnut thing. I make an instant cost/benifit analysis based on my mood at the moment, and sometimes I intentionally pay the extra money to get the dish I want.

Likewise the customer in the story is bottomlessly thirsty. So its worth it for him to pay extra money to get the bigger drink size. So he intentionally pays the extra dollar to get the extra liquid because of the same kind of cost/benifit snap decision I make above at the Panda Cafe.

In contrast the commemorative design on the cup is immaterial to his need for liquid. So his aquisition of that kind of cup was accidental, and unintentional. Its the biggest cup, and if thats the only kinda cup they have, fine, but I dont care.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 9:35 pm

PersephoneX wrote:
“Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to actually get the facts.” - E.B. White

_________________________________________________________________________________

everyone has prejudices.

sometimes you have to make decisions based on incomplete data.

sometimes you think you have all the facts but you do not.

sometimes what you think is a fact is just someone's factually inaccurate opinion.

so have to notice pattern recognition. the pattern applies to some other things. but the pattern does not apply to everything. you have to correctly decide when the pattern applies and when the pattern does not apply.