Situations that NTs and Aspies would perceive differently?

Page 4 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

PersephoneX
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2012, 11:24 am

Mdyar wrote:
ediself wrote:
Hum....did you guys pay attention to the last paragraph? here:
Quote:
Impaired moral judgment is associated with distinct neural systems, including the right temporal parietal junction4. Gabrieli says his group is working on an imaging study focusing on which brain regions are active in these individuals while they are engaged in moral reasoning.

They'd better work quickly: Frith predicts that the utility of the new test may be limited. "I have no doubt that the Asperger's community will get hold of the test, study it, and learn the scenarios," she says.

So, of course, I had to get mad about THAT, too....
Do they think we study their tests just so we can CHEAT on them?? what an NT thing to say really.......

It'l corrupt their study, edi.

There is plenty to be mad about these days. I've been on the receiving end of prejudices because of preconceived notions of "normalcy" in interactions. Given enough time here, people get to see where you are coming from, and it breaks down the moral judgement, but the difference is polarizing here non the less. The more non- heterogeneous, the more the division: " Black people are just people , and white people are or can do, or would do the same if given the same impoverished conditions, but I'm OK over here and they are OK way over there; I'm glad I'm white."

It's an inevitable dynamic.

What a paranoid fascist. I think we need to medicate her. lol

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 11:29 am

PersephoneX wrote:
fraac wrote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mcgurk+effect+autism&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t

Nonautistics fail at spotting the McGurk Effect. It's interpreted by nonautistics as an autistic failing.

Persephone: https://sfari.org/news-and-opinion/news ... -in-autism

My moral reasoning is the same as that of an NT. I did not think she was to blame.

Same. I mean it's pretty damn obvious, you can't blame someone for an accident like that. Anyway the article was written was rather condescendingly (if that's the right word) and was annoying to read.

PersephoneX
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2012, 11:41 am

Nexus wrote:
PersephoneX wrote:
fraac wrote:

Nonautistics fail at spotting the McGurk Effect. It's interpreted by nonautistics as an autistic failing.

My moral reasoning is the same as that of an NT. I did not think she was to blame.

Same. I mean it's pretty damn obvious, you can't blame someone for an accident like that. Anyway the article was written was rather condescendingly (if that's the right word) and was annoying to read.

Agreed. I pass "emotional intelligence tests" at 88%. I know that I am different and I am quite ok with being different, but I find I am not ok with ignorant generalizations made by someone trying to define us all by a few. I also don't even think these tests are done properly and without PREJUDICE.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 11:41 am

PersephoneX wrote:
Mdyar wrote:
ediself wrote:
Quote:
Impaired moral judgment is associated with distinct neural systems, including the right temporal parietal junction4. Gabrieli says his group is working on an imaging study focusing on which brain regions are active in these individuals while they are engaged in moral reasoning.

They'd better work quickly: Frith predicts that the utility of the new test may be limited. "I have no doubt that the Asperger's community will get hold of the test, study it, and learn the scenarios," she says.

Do they think we study their tests just so we can CHEAT on them?? what an NT thing to say really.......

There is plenty to be mad about these days. I've been on the receiving end of prejudices because of preconceived notions of "normalcy" in interactions. Given enough time here, people get to see where you are coming from, and it breaks down the moral judgement, but the difference is polarizing here non the less. The more non- heterogeneous, the more the division: " Black people are just people , and white people are or can do, or would do the same if given the same impoverished conditions, but I'm OK over here and they are OK way over there; I'm glad I'm white."

Naa, she's likable, like most here.

I see the misanthropy in many comments on the board, and I know the feeling, but if you can look at it from another perspective, 'objectively,' lessens the blow. It shows the dynamic as intrinsic, and in stone-- there is nothing you or anyone is going to do, to change this.

You could bog the rest of your life about injustices and it will not create an overall paradigm shift.

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2012, 11:47 am

rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
Supernova008 wrote:
there was this video posted on these forums recently where shapes moved around and NTs and Aspies would maybe view it differently. I'm wondering if there is something with a similar aim (not necessarily similar execution).
I'm the one who posted that: Social Attribution Task , but yeah there are some other things you can try. There are the ever popular lottery questions: You have a 90% chance of loosing, do you buy the ticket? You have a 10% chance of winning, do you buy the ticket? An aspie would likely answer no to both questions. An NT would answer no and yes, respectively.

Then there's this:

Free cup case

ImageImage

The autistic brain picks out the smaller letters first, while the NT brain will process the bigger letters first. You can see the bigger letters, but you need to think about it more. It's a Gestalt grouping.

It seemed simpler in my head, but when I actually said them out loud, I had a much easier time with the smaller letters than the larger ones.

And who would say yes to the 10% chance of winning? too low if you ask me...

AQ: 36

PersephoneX
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2012, 3:04 pm

fraac wrote:

Thank You Fraac. I also looked at the McGurk effect and I did perceive the words as changing because the way the lips were moving.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 3:06 pm

iceveela wrote:
[And who would say yes to the 10% chance of winning? too low if you ask me...

I would say yes to the 10% chance of winning (and also the 90% chance of losing). In fact pretty much every lottery and raffle I've ever entered had much worse odds than that. Oddly enough, even though the question is (half) framed as "you have a 90% chance of losing, do you buy a ticket?" I'm willing to bet that literally everybody who answered "no" has bought a ticket with much lower odds than that, unless they've never bought a lottery or raffle ticket at all. The only way to bump things up to 10% of winning (90% of losing) odds is to have tons of teensy little prizes.

I do think it's interesting how the researchers asking these framing questions found that AS people were less susceptible to framing bias than NT people. I know that I am susceptible to framing bias so I try to get around that when confronted with these situations in real life by framing the question both ways in my mind and seeing how I perceive it.

PersephoneX
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2012, 3:11 pm

Mdyar wrote:
PersephoneX wrote:
Mdyar wrote:
ediself wrote:
Quote:

Naa, she's likable, like most here.

I see the misanthropy in many comments on the board, and I know the feeling, but if you can look at it from another perspective, 'objectively,' lessens the blow. It shows the dynamic as intrinsic, and in stone-- there is nothing you or anyone is going to do, to change this.

You could bog the rest of your life about injustices and it will not create an overall paradigm shift.

I have never heard of her before today. I was making a joke regarding Frith's quote because she thinks we want to "learn the scenarios" of her tests.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 4:00 pm

The drink scenario and the extra dollar...

It was intentional because in order to obtain the drink he wanted Joe had to make a decision, or determine, to spend an additional dollar. The fact that he made the decision quickly and that he seems to have had the extra money to pay for it maybe masks the fact that he had to make that decision.

Would people view that scenario differently if Joe only had enough money on him to buy the drink at the old price? He would then have had either to choose a cheaper drink or somehow get an extra dollar to pay for the one he wanted.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 5:46 pm

Mdyar wrote:
ediself wrote:
Quote:

Are you saying we should drop advocacy altogether and go live in huts? I'm not a zen master, I have trouble just "accepting unfairness", I know what you mean though and I'm not stupid enough not to see you're right, but I'm still driven to try....at least to keep the balance balanced.....if there is only one voice talking about us and it's not ours, there's no hope.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 5:57 pm

Marcia wrote:
The drink scenario and the extra dollar...

It was intentional because in order to obtain the drink he wanted Joe had to make a decision, or determine, to spend an additional dollar. The fact that he made the decision quickly and that he seems to have had the extra money to pay for it maybe masks the fact that he had to make that decision.

Would people view that scenario differently if Joe only had enough money on him to buy the drink at the old price? He would then have had either to choose a cheaper drink or somehow get an extra dollar to pay for the one he wanted.

I would say, for autistics, the fact he decided quickly and had enough money means he had no decision, rather than masks a decision.

If he bought the largest drink he could afford I would say that involved no extra intention. If he left for more cash that would be intentional. Good question, btw!

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 7:28 pm

ediself wrote:
Are you saying we should drop advocacy altogether and go live in huts? I'm not a zen master, I have trouble just "accepting unfairness", I know what you mean though and I'm not stupid enough not to see you're right, but I'm still driven to try....at least to keep the balance balanced.....if there is only one voice talking about us and it's not ours, there's no hope.

No.
That's cool on advocacy.

I know of a couple who lost their son to a drunk driver, He was run' over while ridding his bike. Witnesses said driver stopped, kicked over the body in a roll., looked at it, and then drove off to sit on his front porch with his beer can in his hand. The police found him there in that state, and he asked them before they said could say a single thing, " is he dead?" He worked for the county as an employee, and he wa sentenced to 6 months in jail. So, the mother joins MAD (mothers against drunk drivers), and her advocacy got the better of her -- it made her MAD, and instead of healing, it festered a sore. She had to walk away.

So I guess it is individualized, and you have to see if things get the better of you.. I always believe education or knowledge is the best medicine to alleviate these problems, but if hate or anger is the motive, then one should step aside.. (not saying that's you.)

Fragmented
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2012, 8:00 pm

Saw the small letters, noticed that it formed a letter, and went through trying to find a pattern to the small letters comprising the big letters. HH, SH, HL, LH, SS, HS. Seems at first like they're trying to shhh people in a very disjointed and abstract way. >.>

As for the free cup, it's not intentional, he just wants the biggest size, if that's the collector cup, that's purely incidental, the goal is a big cup. Same response to both, it's just so he can get the biggest size, no matter the cost.

In the Lottery case, obviously not, the odds aren't in your favor no matter what spin you put on it.

Also, for the love of God, you're Aspies, spell LOSING right, it's bad enough when NTs do it. I hold y'all to a higher standard of spelling. >.<

Aspie Score: 170 of 200
NT Score: 37 of 200

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 8:23 pm

I have another two similar, but different scenarios which I have experienced.

Every so often my son and I eat at Pizza Hut. We always order the same meals. When we started doing this and for a long time my son's meal was free and I only paid for the adult meal. The children's menu features characters from a film and is also a colouring/puzzle book to keep.

We arrive one day to be told that the theme of the children's menu has changed and it now features characters from a different film. We take the menus and order our usual meals, for which I pay the usual price.

We arrive another day to be told that the "children eat free" deal is now finished and I will have to pay for both our meals. We order our usual meals and I pay more than I have in the past for the same meals, which we went there to eat.

Thoughts?

PersephoneX
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2012, 11:22 am

I would like to add that since posting the "Cup" and "Extra Dollar" test on my Facebook that my NT friends have chosen the same answers as we did for the same reasons. Some even think that he intentionally got the cup for free. So far, no one has answered these questions in the ascribed "neurotypical" way, which leads me to believe that this and the other formentioned tests are not correct measures.

I have an ethical problem with these tests. It seems that these types of so called "research" are biased with the intention of making us seem less intelligent or less human than NTs. It's a prejudicial attempt at profiling. None of us have the same brain, just like the NTs do not have the same brain. The dangers of these are many, but here are three that stand out:

1. It gives NT people an incorrect view of our aptitudes and humanity. I can't imagine anything more humanity stripping than to have NTs thinking that we would blame someone for an accident, for example. Imagine an employer finding out that his employee has AS and then reading this on the internet. He would think his employee had bad judgement which could cause problems later on.

If there were any Aspies that actually failed the sugar/poison test, I'm betting it was more an issue of semantics. A better way to conduct this test would be to not get hung up on semantics. Show a video, for example, and then ask if the person who gave her the poison sugar should be punished.

2. It's bad for an Aspie's self esteem to think that the world has such a low opinion of who we are, however misguided. I feel sad and angry and I am not misanthropic. ( That's BS, my darling...lol) I actually have good self esteem, but with so many people already depressed, do they really need to see crap like this?

3. God help the poor parents who read things like this after having a newly diagnosed child. Imagine how much anxiety and despair this can cause thinking that their children have been reduced to non human robots.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 12:39 pm

It's obvious that many researchers have a low opinion of autistic perception, usually assumed rather than stated. That's why I always like to email them. I'm always very engaging and they're just not. You can't easily fight prejudice like that. But the science will prove us out in the end. That's what science does, it's Borgishly relentless.