Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

YourMother
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 3:47 pm

There seems to be a general belief in Western society today that child-rape is "the worst crime one is possible to commit" or "the worst thing one can possibly do" etcetera, but as far as I'm concerned, rape is rape. It is THE WORST commonly occurring thing that can be done to someone, and the victim's age doesn't really make it any more/less bad. Discuss.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 4:02 pm

I'm not into classifying crimes as 'worst' or 'second worst' or whatever, by category.

Child rape is horrific. However, I think the paedophile is like an ultimate tabloid bogeyman, at least in my country. Working class people get much more into a lynch-mob mentality about child molesters than they do about war criminals. They even sort of admire gang leaders.

I think the reason that child rape is seen as the worst crime is because it provides a sort of grotesque theatre when the rapist is put in front of the media. Also, people who have children feel less safe because it's a natural instinct of parents to be on guard against threats like that. There's no instinctive protectiveness against war criminals and gang leaders. If I had children, I know I'd worry about it more than would be necessary.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 4:04 pm

I think age is relevant - the earlier the rape the fewer defenses against the world and the less understanding one has acquired.

And - while I cannot but agree it is right up there - I am not convinced that it is the absolute worst one can do to another.

YourMother
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 4:27 pm

Philologos wrote:
And - while I cannot but agree it is right up there - I am not convinced that it is the absolute worst one can do to another.

Yeah, that's why I said "... commonly occurring...". I'm sure some people can think of some really grim stuff... :huh:

P.S. I'm not saying I'm completely pure and innocent, I'm just saying that "I wonder what the worst thing someone could ever do to someone else is" Is not the sort of thing I like to spend my time dwelling upon...

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 4:35 pm

YourMother wrote:
There seems to be a general belief in Western society today that child-rape is "the worst crime one is possible to commit" or "the worst thing one can possibly do" etcetera, but as far as I'm concerned, rape is rape. It is THE WORST commonly occurring thing that can be done to someone, and the victim's age doesn't really make it any more/less bad. Discuss.
By axiomatic rule of at least the western culture. Any crime is worse when done against a kid.

Even stealing candy is a rather low profile crime unless you steal candy from a baby, if that's the case that's a way of saying that you have no boundaries.

I guess the reason is that children are innocent. It is probably also in our instincts to feel more sympathy towards children. Anyway, I agree that pragmatically speaking rape is a terrible crime equally as bad as child rape. But that doesn't change I would probably hate a child rapist more, I cannot help it.

Quote:
- I am not convinced that it is the absolute worst one can do to another.
I have never experienced rape nor torture. But I imagine rape is terrible simply for the fact that it is a trauma that will ruin for you something that is not only supposed to be a pleasure but is also part of your biological functions.

jat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2011, 5:25 pm

In the case of child rape, in addition to the emotional trauma, and the physical harm that can occur as part of any assault, there can be severe internal damage. It depends on the age and size of the child. It is not uncommon (although not routine either) for a child victim to require surgery to repair damage inflicted during a rape. The physical damage to the child is at least part of the reason that some people are as horrified as they are by child rape.

Any assault on people who are, by definition, vulnerable and least able to defend themselves, is seen as particularly horrific. Hence, assaults against children, the elderly, and the physically disabled are all viewed as particularly heinous.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 5:30 pm

It is really bad but I think it pales in comparison to murder.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 5:33 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
I'm not into classifying crimes as 'worst' or 'second worst' or whatever, by category.

Child rape is horrific. However, I think the paedophile is like an ultimate tabloid bogeyman, at least in my country. Working class people get much more into a lynch-mob mentality about child molesters than they do about war criminals. They even sort of admire gang leaders.

I think the reason that child rape is seen as the worst crime is because it provides a sort of grotesque theatre when the rapist is put in front of the media. Also, people who have children feel less safe because it's a natural instinct of parents to be on guard against threats like that. There's no instinctive protectiveness against war criminals and gang leaders. If I had children, I know I'd worry about it more than would be necessary.

Also the fact that rape/pedophilia, while not as bad as say murder, is a lot more common. so it's more of a real fear, though I know what you mean, it's definitely kind of a witch-hunt type thing.

the sheer hatred the topic brings up from normal people is pretty disturbing, it's almost like, if you don't have a violent reaction of wanting to gut and torture the pedo's, people assume you are one of them! 8O

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 5:38 pm

YourMother wrote:
Philologos wrote:

Yeah, that's why I said "... commonly occurring...". I'm sure some people can think of some really grim stuff... :huh:

P.S. I'm not saying I'm completely pure and innocent, I'm just saying that "I wonder what the worst thing someone could ever do to someone else is" Is not the sort of thing I like to spend my time dwelling upon...

Sorry - my eyes - missed the commonly occurring. At least one would hope the really bad stuff is not that common here and now.

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 5:46 pm

donnie_darko wrote:

The victim does not remember they were murdered. In my opinion, rape is the worst you can do.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 5:51 pm

Assuming no afterlife, no ghosts.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 5:53 pm

HerrGrimm wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:

The victim does not remember they were murdered. In my opinion, rape is the worst you can do.

Their family and friends remember. You can recover from rape. Not from murder.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 5:56 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
if you don't have a violent reaction of wanting to gut and torture the pedo's, people assume you are one of them! 8O

Yes, which also means it's impossible for any people who have those sorts of feelings to get help from the health service. If they try to get help for their problems they'll suffer severe harassment, property damage, physical assaults, intimidation, etc. Basically it's a green light to all the local thugs.

So instead of being able to treat paedophiles before they become a problem these cries for help are ignored, resulting in more kids being abused.

Last edited by Tequila on 03 Jun 2011, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 6:00 pm

The reason why rape can't be as bad as murder is because if that were true, logic would follow we should euthanize rape victims, because their life was not worth living anymore.

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 6:03 pm

donnie_darko wrote:

No offense, but you make it sound like rape recovery is simple. It is not.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 6:06 pm

HerrGrimm wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:

No offense, but you make it sound like rape recovery is simple. It is not.

Of course it's not simple/easy, it's a long road, but unlike murder, it is possible. Do you think we should euthanize rape victims the same way we turn off life support for the elderly who are suffering?