Body temperature affected by emotional state?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 1:27 pm

leejosepho wrote:
aghogday wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
aghogday wrote:
... diagnosed with vaso vagal presyncope from a tilt table test ...

I have a gravity-inversion "tilt table" I use for relieving back pain (decompression of spine), and I am curious as to relationships between the symptoms of your diagnosis and the tilt table. I use mine sparingly for fear of too much blood rushing into my head, but could you describe a bit more about that test you had?

A tilt table test is done in a cardiology lab. It tilts you between supine and the standing position and keeps you there in that position for a period of time to see how it affects your blood pressure and heart rate. My blood pressure went down to 60/40. My problem is I don't faint the way that most do when their blood pressure drops this low, I retain a horrible feeling of semi-consciousness.

At age 60, if you have never felt faint, chances are you may not have it, and may be feeling the cold as a natural part of the aging process.

The cold I feel definitely goes beyond natural, but I think it is largely stress-related like already mentioned ... and yet I do have P.A.D. (peripheral arterial disease) and sometimes experience faintness, and the TV commercials say P.A.D. includes poor blood supply to the brain. My only real fainting spell was a few months ago when I passed out while a nurse was setting up my IV for a nuclear stress test, and that was definitely not because of any fear of needles. I was sitting at the time, and I told the nurse I thought I was going to faint ... and I did. At that particular time, however, I had already been far beyond "stress overload" for several months.

I will probably not mess with my BP cuff while I am actually on my tilt-table, but I will take readings immediately before and after to see whether there might be any difference.

Just a suggestion. I'm not sure if your tilt-table will tilt you forward, but if it does and you are planning on tilting yourself forward instead of backward, I suggest you have someone there present to tilt you back down in the supine position, if you faint in the tilted forward position. I'm thinking your tilt table probably won't do that, but just thought I would throw it in just in case.

Peripheral Arterial Disease could definitely cause cold extremities, from reduced blood flow, to those extremities.

The body's response to stress among individuals is about as varied as the body is. Some people get hot, tingly, numb, heart racing, sweaty, hyper, nervous, cold, faint, angry, sad, stomach problems, violent, passive, hungry, lack of appetite, bowel problems, gag reflex, throwing up, headaches, pain, excitement, exhaustion, tension, closing down, melting down, emotional distress, extreme emotions, emotional numbness, anxiety, anxiety attacks, panic attacks, manic, depressed, crying, shaking, trembling, screaming, the list goes on and on. And some people get it all. Arghhhh.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 2:54 pm

The warmer it is, the more irritable I become. I hate high temperatures with a passion, I wish it were winter forever sometimes :\
When I become agitated I always go red faced. :| Its really annoying.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 3:17 pm

ScientistOfSound wrote:
The warmer it is, the more irritable I become. I hate high temperatures with a passion, I wish it were winter forever sometimes :\
When I become agitated I always go red faced. :| Its really annoying.

Interesting, I used to always get flushed and hot when agitated; right about the time it changed from hot to cold, it no longer happened, but I guess that makes sense, because the blood was no longer rushing to my head, from the adrenaline response.

As much as I didn't like the fact that my face got red, after it no longer happened I missed the feeling that accompanied the rush of adrenaline.