Page 1 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 10:28 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
Bad. Really bad. I never remembered to brush my teeth with any regularity. I still forget too often. If I can ever learn good habits and afford it, I'll probably end up wiht a mouth full of implants.

I am forced to remember or my teeth will decay faster if I start vomitting again. Right now I drink a lot of sodas and citric juices which cause the acid reflux but I can't stop drinking them. I quit drinking pop for a year and lost 45 lbs. But it made me drink more orange juice that caused me to have worse acid reflux. No matter what I do to better myself something else that is bad pops up.

Seph
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jun 2011, 10:39 pm

I have bad teeth. It's an area I sometimes actually blame my parents. They were a touch negligent. I remember going to the dentist once as a kid and talking to my brother, we should have gone more. I never really picked up the habits to brush and my parents didn't know it. I aslo stim with soda. I constantly have one to drink. I probably go through about half a dozen in a day. The carbonation is acidic and it constantly wears down my teeth.

One of these days I'm going to go out and get myself dental implants. They're soo expensive though.

Jediscraps
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 11:04 pm

I have decent teeth and I've been told to smile because I have a nice one. My mom would often not tell me about appointments until the day they happened or just before the appointment. But I'd go until I was about 17 and I got so mad and didn't go and she never made another one for me.
So I didn't go for a very long time. I had trouble making appts and that sort of thing back then as well.
Then I finally went but had help from a social worker but it didn't turn out that bad. Then I had another long gap but not as long as the first one. Now I am going to try and go at least once a year.
I recently went and there was a problem with their billing, it so contorted, I spent a total of about 36 hours thinking and also trying to write out a letter and figure out their bills, and messed up way they charged me. I couldn't stop thinking about and it was hard for me to figure out the paper work and bills and charges (and over-charges and where they came from to prove it). It took me a while to wrap my mind around it all. My sister thought the billing was messed up too and she was going to rewrite my letter but decided not to because she knew all the time I spent on it.
I didn't want to call them or see them in person because I don't understand sometimes when people explain things in person and I can just go along with things. I think better by myself. I might come across as slow, yet I've been told I'm pretty intelligent actually, with a bell curve drawn to show me where I might be, but some things can give me difficulty.
They didn't even apologize. This was a huge bill when I really owed less than 100 dollars.

The dentist is hard to go to, I don't like it all, but I want to keep my teeth and don't want to deal with constant phsyical pain.
I do like that they give me sunglasses and I'd also like ear plugs but that's probably not possible since I have to hear them.

Last edited by Jediscraps on 08 Jun 2011, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 11:11 pm

This is an interesting question because I have horrible teeth and relatively good teeth at the same time. One one side, I only brush about twice a week, and I only floss when something gets stuck between my teeth. I should brush more often, but I just don't see a need to. On the other, I haven't been to a dentist in 16 years and while they certainly aren't pretty, my teeth feel fine. It's ironic, but I think a major reason why is that my teeth are very crooked. Because nothing gets stuck in between my teeth for long, nothing has the chance to turn into cavities. That's just my theory though. As an aside, when I was a child, without fail every time I went to the dentist, I had a cavity that needed filled. Since then, for more than a decade and a half I haven't. I'm pretty sure that dentists do unnecessary work on children. Just a thought.

bergie
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jun 2011, 1:00 am

I had really bad teeth (went 10 years without seeing a dentist and "irregular" brushing habits). So I had to spend like $4000 last year getting them fixed and I HATE the dentist so it was miserable.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 1:17 am

I can't stand eating anything in the morning unless I brush...

My dad loves the dentist he used to take me there every month... I had no choice but to brush :p

Tao
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jun 2011, 3:08 am

I don't have a problem with dentists, probably cause my mum always made it out to be like a special treat to get to go there. I actually used to quite like going to the dentist I had as a kid. He retired when I was 25 or so and I didn't manage to go to another dentist till I was suffering some horrible root canal infection when I was 30. I have a horror of the thought of having teeth pulled out so since then I've paid small fortunes for root canal treatment on about five different teeth when the dentist kept saying to just get them pulled. When I brush my teeth I always floss and rinse too, and the actual brushing routine takes me about ten minutes. I like the feeling of having my gums scrubbed, so I always use a firm toothbrush. I renew it every month cause I wear them down so fast.

So no, I don't have a problem with dentists, but hairdressers bring me out in a fit of the squirmy shudders. I cut my own hair till I was 28 and I still hate having to let someone else do it.

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2011, 4:42 am

Adequately healthy teeth, but not film star quality.

One has crown due to a climbing accident, it's neighbour is discoloured because it was traumatised (I so wanted to say 'but I've never heard it crying' when the dentist told me) in the same accident.

I didn't see a dentist for twenty years and convinced myself that I was losing a lower incisor. Turns out they were perfectly healthy but really needed a clean. The stuff which was flaking off was tarter not enamel.

If you're in the UK ignore the NHS - NHS dentistry is a disaster and the private sector is not massively expensive. I paid £80 for the examination, x-rays and about half an hours worth of scraping and polishing.

Grete
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 5:03 am

I have fine teeth with no cavities (knocking on wood).

I really don't exaggerate brushing my teeth in the morning, I don't see the point. I just clean it quickly so that I have fresh breath.
On the other hand, I'm obsessive about evening cleaning. I brush them thoroughly, then floss, brush thoroughly again and finally use a good mouthwash.
And that works for me.

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jun 2011, 5:17 am

Good teeth, and i'm pretty obsessed with that. Time ago i had trouble with gengivas because my energetic brush. I had to re-learn to brush my teeth. I hate to fell my teeth dirty.
Lately i had cavities. I hadn't them during my first '20.

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 5:38 am

Good teeth since I started using electric toothbrushes with 2 minute timers, really good those.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 6:11 am

My teeth aren't great. British teeth aren't known for their blinding whiteness anyway, but I've been pretty negligent over the years. I would go for days when I was a teenager without brushing. I have only been to the dentist twice as an adult, both times were emergencies. I had a very bad experience when I was 11 after smashing my front two teeth when I fell over. The treatment I had for that left me completely terrified of dentists, to the point of throwing up and having crying fits before being dragged along by my mother.

Plus I developed really bad teeth grinding as a side effect of effexor, which I was on for 4 years. I would wake up with my jaws clenched tightly and my teeth grinding away. I still grind my teeth quite often, without noticing, I only realise when my jaws start to ache.

Anyway, I have a few teeth missing. Fortunately at the back of my mouth so not noticeable yet. Still, its not great.

crouton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 9:28 am

I have good teeth, in spite of my fear of used toothpaste. :P No fillings at all to this day. :wink:

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

09 Jun 2011, 10:13 am

My teeth are always white. I've only had two cavities (very tiny ones I've never had to have filled) my entire life. I brush my teeth every day, in the morning. Yeah, I know how dentists say that you should brush twice a day (once in the morning and also at bed time) but I never brush before bed. Too lazy :lol: .

n3rdgir1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jun 2011, 10:27 am

My teeth are good. They're a bit yellow, but I'm turning thirty soon and I've never had a cavity. I tend to be a morning brusher, and just brush one time a day. My sense of smell issues are stronger than my oral anti-brushing issue. The taste/smell of morning breath is too much for me.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 10:32 am

I never thought of this as a sensory thing. But I hate brushing my teeth soon after eating because the toothpaste tastes really nasty and there are still food particles floating around that get mixed up with the toothpaste. So I have to wait but then I forget.