Page 3 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Bluefins
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 6:50 pm

YellowBanana wrote:
But yet, I'm still finding it difficult to do - I don't know what it is. Even with good intentions, I just end up giving them a cursory, quick, brush which does nothing useful at all. I never considered it to be a sensory issue, but perhaps it is. I really don't know. I just can't seem to do it.

Check out this: http://archive.autistics.org/library/inertia.html

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 7:02 pm

I actually have pretty good teeth.
I have no fillings, all my own teeth

Considering that I haven't seen a dentist for 10 years (NHS and I'm fee exempt, thus no dentist available), that I was a smoker for 12 years or so, that I suck my thumb, and because of a. sensory issues, b. sensitivity to SLS's and c. acid reflux as I kid I barely brushed and as an adult I only brush my teeth once daily, and not very well in all honesty :oops:

I do have a gap between my top front two teeth but this has been filled-in cosmetically so you can't see it, I have a bit of a receding gum line at the front bottom of my teeth due to gum problems two years ago from smoking, but again, considering all the above that's really not too bad. I still have constant dreams about losing my teeth and cosmetic dentistry would be high on my list if I won the lotto!

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

XLCR
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jun 2011, 8:02 pm

All previously mentioned applies to me too. I never brushed or flossed for years. The end result was tooth loss, major peridonitis, abcesses and root canal infection. I started with crooked teeth and soft enamel, so the after all of that they were pretty gruesome, I looked like a homeless person living on dumpster food.

However, after a nasty 4-hour operation to cut open my gums and scrape out the infection out, and then sew them up again, and years of root canals, crowns, implants, bridges, and plasticoating, and two years of braces to fix the crooked parts, I now have absolutely beautiful teeth, and all it cost was countless painful hours in a dentist's chair and about $12,000 cash.

Take my advice, take care of your teeth. Save yourselves the pain and money.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 1:46 am

I think my teeth are good. They aren't perfect. I hated having them brushed as a kid so mom had to sit on me. I was like two then. It may have been sensory issues but then i must have gotten used to it because mom didn't have to sit on me anymore.

I try and brush them at least once a day now but I know it's supposed to be done twice a day. When I was in school, it was a lot easier because I always brushed before school and then at bed time. Then on work days I brushed before work and then I remember I would keep forgetting when I wasn't working. I try and remember to do it before bed time. This thread reminded me to do it so I did just now.

I have had cavities before. I have even had a filling and it broke off when I was 22 and I had a huge hole for a while and it never hurt. That's because that tooth was dead. Now it might need to be pulled. I have had a root canal done in there and then I was getting puss above that tooth in my gum and I had to keep popping it. Now the puss doesn't come back anymore.

But I have other fillings on my teeth from when I was 22. The cap I have on my tooth from the root canal is still there. I have been told it can fall off within the next year or any day and it's still there. I just don't want to pay big money for some special cap since my health insurance wouldn't cover it. then when it got infected again because of the puss, the insurance wouldn't cover it again for the root canal so I didn't want to pay any big bucks for that tooth, not even to get it pulled.

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 2:42 am

My teeth are not great. I eat a lot of chili, drink a lot of tea and coffee, and smoke cigarettes. I wore braces when I was young but they are still misaligned. They look like they are having a fight and none of them are winning. I am from the UK though.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 7:10 pm

Bad, but they've taken the abuse.

I pretty much brush my teeth every day now, but when I had a 1.5 year period when I never brushed my teeth. (I think I was 10 or 11).

I don't worry about it too much though.

Everybody needs to stop worrying so much about teeth.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 8:32 pm

I have bad teeth. I brush but mainly once a day. Sometimes I forget a day. I floss as well at least most of the time when I remember. I get lots of cavities. Last time I had 2 cavities filled. It was painful. I hate going to the dentist. Luckily since I went recently, I don't have to see him for the next 6 months. I get cavities almost every single time I see the dentist. My brother has even worse teeth than me. Once he had 30 cavities because he didn't brush for get this...... 4 years! Once I had an abscess tooth and that was one of the worst pains I have ever experienced. What's worse is that it got so bad that I ended up in the hospital for 2 days. Then I had an exciting root canal. How fun. My face swelled up. I looked like I was in pain the entire time and I was.

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2011, 8:16 pm

I would say my teeth are pretty good. I brush twice a day and the past two times I've gone to the dentist, I've had no cavities. I think its because I've stopped drinking sugar-filled sodas for two years!!

My sister, OTOH, has way more cavities than me and she's an NT!

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 8:33 pm

My mother would have to fight me about brushing my teeth as a kid. The toothpaste burned the inside of my mouth, my tounge and lips. My mom said it's becuase my mouth was so dirty. She said everyone thought toothpaste tasted bad but it didn't burn her mouth. I rember I once used dial to brush my teeth and it did not burn the least bit.

The toothpaste made me feel like I was going to throw up. I use baking soda now and nothing else. I'm always getting asked how I get my teeth so white. They'd probably be whiter if I actually brushed every day. I just can't remember too.

My mom tries to get me to use toothpaste now and then but it's not worth getting nautious over. I think I'll let my teeth turn green and rot out of my head before I use toothpaste again. I'm sure my breath is horrible, but if it prevents people from getting too close to me, I'll go to great legenths to ensure I have horrible breath.

If I needed braces as a kid, I would probably have just pulled them off.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

13 Aug 2011, 10:17 pm

I've always had good teeth. It was kind of forced on me by my dad to brush after meals and snacks. I dropped it down to twice a day, so my sensory issues don't get me in a bad mood.
I also have braces right now.

Christopherwillson
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 9:36 am

i have pretty good teeth but they aren't really white white anymore.. when i was young i didn't get the purpose of it and didn't care about my looks at all.. i should whiten them actually.

Aspie score: 182-200

Don't know what to say.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 10:05 am

My teeth are good. I go to the dentist every six months.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 10:09 am

Oddly, out of all my siblings, I have perfectly straight teeth while my siblings needed braces. But at the same time, yeah, didn't brush my teeth too often. They're all still there, but yeah. One thing for me that helped was I didn't like toothpaste, so I switched to baking soda or peroxide, and I occasionally go on binges of home whitening with just holding 3% peroxide in my mouth.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 10:14 am

I brush my teeth often and they're healthy, but sensitive. I use only soft toothbrushes and special toothpastes.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 7:54 pm

I have genetic hypodontia of my upper lateral incisors, removed bony impacted wisdom teeth, and one impacted upper canine tooth, and genetic dental pitting.

When "birth-marks" became recently again irritated from something, the statistical connection between my epilepsy, shagreen patches, teeth, and Asperger's Syndrome more strongly pointed to Tuberous Sclerosis Syndrome (TSS) as the more central source for many of the impairments.

I brush and floss my teeth regularly, but my last dental visit was in early 1977 through a charity program that charged back to Medicaid. Between 1977 and 1987, income and university disqualified coverage, and after 1987, no available dentists accepted SSI Medicaid, and just today (Sep. 17, 2011), I received a California Medicaid letter stating that the "program is sending you this letter to tell you that it no longer covers dental, chiropractic and podiatry benefits for adults."

By federal law, I think Medicaid still mandates dental coverage for genetic dental disorders, but the "proof" of genetic disorders is expensive, and then, Medicaid pays denists so little, they didn't/haven't offered/accepted services under Medicaid anyway. More dentists did participate in "Dentists Without Borders" than did accept Medicaid, so Catch-22 with the borders too.

Tadzio

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Sep 2011, 10:17 pm

I have good teeth. I brush my teeth 2x a day (once in the morning and once more in the night before I go to bed).