Neuropsych eval -> High Perf. IQ, Avg Verbal IQ? -> AS

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

tenementfu
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jun 2011, 6:06 pm

I had a Neuropsych Eval. I scored 120+ on the performance part of the test and barely 100+ on the verbal.

I won't have the summary of the eval until next week.

In the meantime, can someone help me make sense of those scores? I mean, the discrepancy between the performance & verbal IQs indicate that something's going on, but I was under the impression that Aspergeans and Autists and even ADHDers would score the other way around: high on verbal, low on performance.

Can someone help me make sense of my scores? Could it mean that I have ADHD rather than Asperger's?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 6:25 pm

tenementfu wrote:
I had a Neuropsych Eval. I scored 120+ on the performance part of the test and barely 100+ on the verbal.

I won't have the summary of the eval until next week.

In the meantime, can someone help me make sense of those scores? I mean, the discrepancy between the performance & verbal IQs indicate that something's going on, but I was under the impression that Aspergeans and Autists and even ADHDers would score the other way around: high on verbal, low on performance.

Can someone help me make sense of my scores? Could it mean that I have ADHD rather than Asperger's?

The subjects Hans Asperger described had high verbal IQ's though I don't believe he mentioned much about their performance IQ except for noting his subjects seemed above average in intelligence.

AS is often indistinguishable for NVLD in which subjects have scatter such that they have high verbal IQ's and low performance IQ's. It was often thought that AS was distinguished from HFA in that the strengths and weakness were flipped. Someone with HFA would have been expected to have low verbal IQ's and high performance IQ.s However a recent study using a version of the WAIS-III on adults with AS and adults with HFA found that the adults with AS did not have higher than usual verbal IQ's but did have higher performance IQ's than the HFA group.

I think this shift is due to the fluidity of the way AS has been defined and diagnosed throughout the years, and inconsistency in diagnostic methods between clinicians.

At this time I do not think reliable verbal and performance IQ profiles can be drawn from the current pool of those diagnosed with AS as I do not think the current pool of test subjects have been diagnosed by any consistent means or standards.

Personally I prefer to adhere to the observations of Hans Asperger on the matter, which was similar to that of NVLD. I look forward to advances in brain imaging to clear the current mess up.

tenementfu
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jun 2011, 7:12 pm

That's interesting, but how does it relate to my performance >> verbal?

I mean in my case that would indicate the opposite of NVLD, wouldn't it?

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 8:10 pm

Yeah it does seem a bit odd. I also took an IQ test and my verbal was over twenty points higher than the rest of the components.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 8:11 pm

You could have non verbal disorder also.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 8:49 pm

tenementfu wrote:
That's interesting, but how does it relate to my performance >> verbal?

I mean in my case that would indicate the opposite of NVLD, wouldn't it?

People on the autism spectrum are more likely to have a discrepancy going either direction (i.e. VIQ > PIQ or VIQ < PIQ). VIQ to PIQ ratio is not a reliable diagnostic criterion for AS or autism.

tenementfu
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jun 2011, 8:51 pm

thewrll wrote:
You could have non verbal disorder also.

I did well on the non-verbal part so how can you say I could have non-verbal disorder?

Dae
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jun 2011, 8:56 pm

Hi there. Had your testing originated from WAIS (Weschler Adult Intelligence Scale as opposed to the 1960 form of Lewis Terman's Stanford-Binet Scales...yes, there are some 'experts' still out there using Stanford-Binet)? If from WAIS, Wikipedia lays it all out for ya. I'm wondering if your score of 100 was on the 'PSI' (Processing Speed Index) - I had scored a 99 on that piece of it all though my 'POI' (Perceptual Organization Index) was 125. I'm still working with my tester too, to get a better understanding of all the significances/implications. But, so far, we've determined for my individual case that I do dramatically 'better' verbally when I'm doing the speaking (possibly because of any prescripting I may have done beforehand) and dramatically 'worse' when being spoken to -- I'm narrowing this distinction down even further that 'verbalities' (ha!) originating from those 'less'-educated are more likely to be stumbling blocks for me...A real disadvantage when those are the ones in charge of disseminating instructions. :? Very glad to see these postings here.

Dae

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 9:09 pm

There are a lot of visual thinking people with AS on this site. If you are a visual-spatial learner, you will score a higher PIQ than VIQ. I test something like 110 VIQ vs. 130 PIQ.

tenementfu
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jun 2011, 5:24 pm

marshall wrote:
There are a lot of visual thinking people with AS on this site. If you are a visual-spatial learner, you will score a higher PIQ than VIQ. I test something like 110 VIQ vs. 130 PIQ.

Well you beat me on everything.

And your diagnosis was AS?

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 12:22 am

tenementfu wrote:
marshall wrote:

Well you beat me on everything.

And your diagnosis was AS?

No. I was diagnosed PDD-NOS when I was 5 years old. The IQ test is more recent.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 1:47 am

The Performance>Verbal gap is more common among those with classic autism than with Asperger's because one of the differences between the two is that a speech delay disqualifies from diagnosis with Asperger's. So of course you are more likely to have a lower verbal IQ if you had a speech delay, and more likely to be diagnosed with classical autism.

But IQ scatters of all sorts are very common on the spectrum.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 1:55 am

Callista wrote:
The Performance>Verbal gap is more common among those with classic autism than with Asperger's because one of the differences between the two is that a speech delay disqualifies from diagnosis with Asperger's. So of course you are more likely to have a lower verbal IQ if you had a speech delay, and more likely to be diagnosed with classical autism.

But IQ scatters of all sorts are very common on the spectrum.

Going by that paradigm I'm most likely HFA without a speech delay.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

12 Jun 2011, 2:14 am

I was diagnosed with a major disreprency between my verbal IQ score and my nonverbal IQ score
Verbal was 60
Non-verbal was 135
of course I was much younger then and had much intervention since....I now score 120 on the verbal but still higher on the non-verbal