Are you good at making accents , vocies, copying people

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 12:08 pm

I'm working on mimicking British accents. I've gotten a lot better at it than I used to be, especially considering that my favorite TV shows are from the UK.

gaz1990
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Dec 2011, 5:56 pm

not quite sure if it applies in the same way, but I do tend to copy other people's behaviours and voice style, subconciously, in order to make it look like there's nothing wrong with me. I only realise it afterwards. For example, I'll try to copy the way Jason statham speaks, as people in the films seem to be afraid of him. When I was little, I used to copy Rowan Atkinson as Mr Bean, speaking exactly like him, copying his movements and making my family laugh so hard because it was so well done. The problem comes when I act like the overly confident people I see in films and real life, I act like them for a bit so it looks like I have no issues, then something will happen, I'll realise I;m still the same autistic caring person, I'll be unable to act like other people any more, my cover is blown and I end up looking weird because everyone believes I'm such a tough guy, then when it becomes apparent I;m not, they think I;m exceptionally weak and annoying for pretending.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 6:13 pm

I'm pretty good at doing accents - mostly British ones. :)

I've found that I can also do voices pretty well, too...I mostly do vocal impressions of cartoon characters, like:

Goliath from Davy and Goliath

Ed from Ed, Edd, and Eddy

Mater, Luigi, and Fillmore from Cars

Tigger from Winnie the Pooh

Ira from Where the Wild Things Are

I can also do voices for certain South Park chars, like Butters, Cartman, and Mr. Mackey. :)
I can also impersonate Napoleon Dynamite pretty well, too....I'm currently at work on refining my voice to be able to do a suitable Sterling Holloway impression, too....but I have mixed feelings about trying to touch that. :oops: Not just anyone can be a Sterling Holloway soundalike.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Last edited by LtlPinkCoupe on 16 Dec 2011, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 6:15 pm

aspardon wrote:
I fidn I am almost as good as impersonatign as the dudes that are on tv doing it.

I wodner if this is due to aspergers. I feel as akid I alwas had no vocie, I used to copy the sayings and vocie of the coolest kid and my best freind in school. This worked well for me.

I also find I can copy any celberity or nationality and make their voice identical without even much effort. Eg. I was in Thiland and I learn some Thai words by copying them and the Thai people say I was so good I sound liek Thai person. Whereas other people even if they say the thia words the dont use the proper accent and phrasing etc off the words.

I wonder if aspergers enables you to learn and pick up and copy the voices in a way for example you would imagine a parrott or a robot lol?

Or can you not do this?

Yes. I can do this. LoL.

TheSunAlsoRises

lilbuddah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2011, 6:17 pm

I'm not so good at imitating specific people I see, all people look and sound more or less alike to me, I'm pretty good with cultural accents though, I switch around between Russian, German, South African, American and a few others mid conversation all of the time. For fun since my normal voice is just that.

MindWithoutWalls
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 6:24 pm

I'm terrible at mimicking accents and terrible at understanding people who speak with strong ones. I can replicate tone of voice well, stressing words in the right places, and I strongly prefer to when repeating another's words. Otherwise, I feel I'm not quoting properly. But I hate to be generally loud just because the person I'm quoting was, so I usually tone it way down.

I used to quote people more, but I switched to a preference for paraphrasing when a friend of mine made a big deal over the fact that I could recall such long exchanges with others so accurately. I got self-conscious about it because she'd pointed it out, so I didn't want to do it anymore. I guess I was worried it made me seem weird. Now I don't think I could do it as well as I used to, because I'm unpracticed after so many years. It's probably been a couple of decades.

Loitering is encouraged at The Wayshelter: http://wayshelter.com

AlastorX
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Dec 2011, 6:28 pm

I am very good in both accents and imitations.
And I was copying people I thought were kinda cool, but it wasn't conscious, it just happened.

jayroo79
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Dec 2011, 8:12 pm

I'm great with accents, I also have the ability to sound like I have no accent. Such as the news casters one would hear on television. I'm not sure how I am when it comes to imitating others. I have been told that I have a very soothing voice.

"Power is the reason that we all are fighting for, control your body, your soul and heart. Yes- some of us who surrender are like lambs to the slaughter; get the power & try harder to reach the next stage."
-SMT III

Maje
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 8:17 pm

I had theater lessons starting with 27 or something. I was a natural talent, what about that :) But I was too old for the traditional way, so I just took it as a compliment. Really, the teacher made extra lessons with me, and when I finished she only said OK. Its ok...
I think I can imitate whatever I want.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 10:04 pm

No. The only exception is "Charlie bit me and that really hurt" but I practicaly have to talk through my nose to do that. I could never fake accents or other people's voices. I can't even make up gibberish. Basicaly, language is not my first language.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 10:41 pm

Maje wrote:
I had theater lessons starting with 27 or something. I was a natural talent, what about that :) But I was too old for the traditional way, so I just took it as a compliment. Really, the teacher made extra lessons with me, and when I finished she only said OK. Its ok...
I think I can imitate whatever I want.

I'm pretty much in this category from the sound of a new born baby to animal noises.

TheSunAlsoRises

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 3:31 am

Yes, it is actually one of my biggest flagships and ways of socializing. Everyone finds it funny when I do, and at one point or another, when I am on a party, someone urges me to do it because people like it. I can speak almost all german dialects on a level equal or close to native speaker, and I my default dialect when speaking english is British, but I can (thanks to the internet, I know it for for sure) convincingly pass as American and Australian. I also like to speak with "foreign" accents, like Indian, French and Japanese. What amazes me myself is the fact that I never had to practice it. I've heard someone talk like that for about 10 minutes, then I could replicate it.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 4:32 am

I've been told I'm good at it, but I don't know if I really count, because in recent years I've been studying linguistics, as part of my university education, so I do lots of work with accents and pronunciation, I even take notes for other classes in International Phonetic Alphabet, as practice, and have become quite good at it, at least with English and German.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 5:18 am

Oui, monsieur. Folks can't tell if it's me barking or a dog. :lol:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 5:24 am

What makes you think it's related to AS? NTs do this all the time! (Well, at least that's what I experience). My NT cousin used to always put on an accent when he was a kid, and it used to make us laugh. Also my brother and his mates copy how this person they know speaks. This person has a wobbly sort of voice, and my brother and his mates do his voice and think it's hilarious.

I'm quite good at doing the American accent - once me and my mate pretended to be American whilst doing a whole shopping in the supermarket. It was really funny and I was good (so was my friend).

But otherwise, I am no good with accents generally.

Mattithyahu
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Apr 2012, 9:43 am

I've always been able to copy voices with great accuracy, both voluntarily and not. Whenever I involuntarily mimic a foreign person's voice the nearest local adult pulls me aside and tells me its not "nice." Of course later the xeno would ask if I'm from his/her country. The only dialect I have not been able to pick up is that which is spoken in New Jersey, which happens to be where I live.