Do most people with autism have Learning Difficulties?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 1:54 pm

i don't as far as i know i have been in OT classes and social skills but never had problems with schoolwork. idk really depend what u define as a ld in learning social cues and such i am ld but not in doing things which have explicit instructions.

Meow1971
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jun 2011, 2:39 pm

When I was in elementary school I was constantly a conundrum for the teachers because my handwriting was so bad they felt I was severely mentally challenged... except for the fact that I could read, talk and test at high levels. eventually they decided I was just not trying hard enough with my handwriting.

So, apparently, bad handwriting was supposed to indicate Learning Disabilities or laziness.

I am still bitter. Idiots.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 2:44 pm

I have Dyspraxia. I was quite good at school, academically..so it was only a 'learning difficulty' when I had to do PE or craft.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 2:56 pm

I have a rather paradoxical issue with math. There are times when it comes really easy - almost instantaneous understanding and other times when it seems completely opaque and impossible for me to penetrate. It seems to be related less with the concepts than the symbolic representations of the concepts. Math is essentially a string of symbols referring to some abstraction. I get all tangled up in the symbols, but the abstractions seem really easy.

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jun 2011, 5:42 pm

I have no problem at reading and writing (10 years ago I was able to write english words i listened without knowing english language, and I can read decently norwegian). But this is the only thing don't give me difficult. Unless i had tutor in school i was an average student compared to others, but after i had a lot of difficult lo understand teachers. My mom and techers said most of time i misunderstood them. Plus teachers though i didn't listened them because i didn't watched them. I was the worst in class.

There is a single episode that has annoyed me: My teacher has asked me a question, i've ansvered CORRECTLY and the teacher ignored my answer because i used unappropriate language (I didn't used bad words). In that moment i was thinking in pictures and i was describling what i was 'seeing'. I had no time for think the correct word.

I went in normal schools. Special school was two hours far from my city.

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -