Page 1 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 3:02 pm

Today, my wife's car was ransacked and some of our possessions stolen. I want to obliterate the universe. Does anyone think that theft is acceptable?

you_are_what_you_is
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 3:05 pm

Yes, sometimes.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 3:08 pm

Is there a possibility that the perps were deserving, desperate, destitute, and starving?

Is there a probability that the perps were noble freedom fighters and that you are either one of the oppressors they are combatting OR one of the downtrodden they are fighting to free?

If not, it is likely that it was simply theft and contrary to the laws of God and man.

Unless it was a hate crime or the cry for help of a loony.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 3:38 pm

Philologos wrote:
Is there a possibility that the perps were deserving, desperate, destitute, and starving?

I wouldn't know. Though I doubt that they would be any more deserving, desperate, destitute, or starving than myself.

Philologos wrote:
Is there a probability that the perps were noble freedom fighters and that you are either one of the oppressors they are combatting OR one of the downtrodden they are fighting to free?

No, there's no probability of them being noble, nor "freedom fighters", ransacking an old Chevy would be a really stupid method of fighting to free anyone, but perhaps I should start the business of oppressing. Sounds fun.

Philologos wrote:
If not, it is likely that it was simply theft and contrary to the laws of God and man.

Yeah, that's most likely what it was.

Philologos wrote:
Unless it was a hate crime or the cry for help of a loony.

Whoever they were they probably were morons given that what they took were some foreign coins I had gotten my wife, taking them out of the container and leaving the container, as well as opening an envelope with a father's day card that my wife hadn't sent yet and essentially leaving their fingerprints everywhere. They may be loonies, but I think it's more of an act to get cash than a cry for help. Perhaps I should leave a few surprises for them so that they will be crying for help if they ever try doing it again.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 3:41 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Today, my wife's car was ransacked and some of our possessions stolen. I want to obliterate the universe. Does anyone think that theft is acceptable?

Only when the government does it. Then it is called taxation.

ruveyn

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 3:43 pm

you_are_what_you_is wrote:
Yes, sometimes.

It is never acceptable and it can not be excused. To take something that required the life and energy to acquire or make, the life and energy of another human is akin to murder.

Anyone caught and convicted of theft should be compelled to make good what he stole and if that is not possible then life imprisonment. For example Bernie Madoff.

ruveyn

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 3:44 pm

ruveyn wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Only when the government does it. Then it is called taxation.

ruveyn

Yeah, it's not quite the same. Not here at least.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 3:44 pm

I'm sorry to hear about that and no- not acceptable.

I could spin out a movie-ready scenario where somebody had to do that (it's in a lot of movies) but what happened to your stuff was a plain and simple crime.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 3:52 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Yes, sometimes.

It is never acceptable and it can not be excused. To take something that required the life and energy to acquire or make, the life and energy of another human is akin to murder.

That's very interesting. What are we but energy and matter? Steal of my energy, and you steal from the construct I call 'I'

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 4:05 pm

Obliterate the universe? Why how much were the possessions worth?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 4:07 pm

Moog wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Yes, sometimes.

That's very interesting. What are we but energy and matter? Steal of my energy, and you steal from the construct I call 'I'

I notice that often people use very simplistic terminology to describe things of extreme complexity. Like saying, "Jane threw a paper airplane at Mark and Mark caught the paper airplane". If a person were to attempt to construct a robot to perform the task of recognizing a paper airplane, computing the trajectory while it's flying, and intercepting with an appendage with grasping apparatus, and snatching the paper airplane out of the air along its trajectory, such would be quite a feat of programming. Completely possible nowadays, but still quite detailed even for something so seemingly simple. However, using physical concepts as energy and matter in a simplistic form also occurs. If you enter a room with air conditioning, you could say that "your thermal energy is being stolen", but that's not quite right now, is it? Things are a lot more complicated than us being merely "matter and energy".

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 4:09 pm

Two wrongs don't make a right.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 4:10 pm

pree10shun wrote:
Obliterate the universe? Why how much were the possessions worth?

I was using hyperbole, but if you must know, about $15 as far as we could determine for certain. They might have stolen some paperwork from our bank as well, but it's uncertain. Either way, I often make overstatements as a matter of my own method of communication.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 4:11 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Yes, sometimes.

Anyone caught and convicted of theft should be compelled to make good what he stole and if that is not possible then life imprisonment. For example Bernie Madoff.

ruveyn

well everything you own is based on that of tohers and in some cases by causation is the same as stealing, nothing is that simple when dealing with humans.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 4:12 pm

dionysian wrote:
Two wrongs don't make a right.

Three lefts make a right though, and I consider lefts to be wrong, so three wrongs make a right, isn't that right? :P

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 4:13 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Moog wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Yes, sometimes.

I notice that often people use very simplistic terminology to describe things of extreme complexity. Like saying, "Jane threw a paper airplane at Mark and Mark caught the paper airplane". If a person were to attempt to construct a robot to perform the task of recognizing a paper airplane, computing the trajectory while it's flying, and intercepting with an appendage with grasping apparatus, and snatching the paper airplane out of the air along its trajectory, such would be quite a feat of programming. Completely possible nowadays, but still quite detailed even for something so seemingly simple. However, using physical concepts as energy and matter in a simplistic form also occurs. If you enter a room with air conditioning, you could say that "your thermal energy is being stolen", but that's not quite right now, is it? Things are a lot more complicated than us being merely "matter and energy".

Not really, cos I can't do anything about my thermal energy dissipating, and besides, if it didn't I'd die of overheating. You could say that the universe is stealing your thermal energy, but there's no lawyer would take that case. :lol:

There's a big difference between shedding 'my' matter and energy naturally, and having someone take a chunk of it against my will.

I don't think anyone considers air conditioning as a form of stealing. Maybe we should try and convince people they are having their thermal energy stolen in workplaces and business premises. I can see humour in that.

Last edited by Moog on 17 Jun 2011, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.