Unemployment is one joke after another.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 1:03 pm

Warning: This is a mini-rant.

I've been unemployed for three and a half years with no support to help me back into work.

During this time I've had the job centre knowingly force me to apply for jobs I'm unable to do and then force me off benefits for doing so, forced me onto ESA which I was denied as they make no allowances in medical assessments for neurological conditions, told me I'm 'mentally incapable' of working because I'm aspie as well as various other insults, been forced to sit in a room packed with people for thirteen weeks while being prevented from applying for work, and been forced to leave college.

Currently I'm being forced to apply for retail work - any job is better than non job, but no retail job has enough hours, so once again the job centre are essentially forcing me to apply for work I'm unable to do. I finally have a disability adviser, he's less use than other advisers, but I got him to send me for support and I was sent to Remploy - the ONLY support available to help disabled people back into work. Remploy aren't great but they do at least acknowledge difficulties so aren't as disrespectful as the job centre - however today I was told government have made changes so Remploy now offer less support and we're put into one of three groups; call centre, retail or cleaning - is this all they think disabled people are capable of?!

Is it REALLY so hard for them to understand that I'm not some lazy and/or stupid scrounger?
Society cannot be pro-unemployment but we've gone too far the other way, employers don't want to hire unemployed people as they view us as lazy and/or stupid, thus you get rising rates of long-term unemployed, now throw disability into the mix...it feels like I'll never get another job and as such my life is on hold. Surely it makes more sense not to kick people off benefits, but to try to help them so they can get back into work and help fuel the economy, if there are barriers to work help get rid of these barriers; tackle prejudice towards disabilities and unemployment, and provide training or studying opportunities to help give people more chance of finding work.

Why is the government so determined to make it HARDER for us to get back into work?! :cry: :evil:

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 1:26 pm

Bloodheart wrote:

Why is the government so determined to make it HARDER for us to get back into work?! :cry: :evil:

the high politicians (probably civil servants too) are bankrolled by powerful business people, and its these people that actually favour unemployment as it consolidates their power;

unemployment puts downward pressure on wages = bigger profits, but also creating unpleasant conditions for the unemployed keeps workers scared, creating downward pressure on working conditions = bigger profits.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 1:46 pm

Yeah. The Asperger's workforce center I was referred to seems to feature cleaning jobs as its mainstay.

Euggggh. I personally cannot take doing the same thing over and over with no larger creative purpose.

I feel like such centers need to learn more about Asperger's and what people with it are capable of doing.

Madao
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jun 2011, 4:15 pm

Bloodheart wrote:
however today I was told government have made changes so Remploy now offer less support and we're put into one of three groups; call centre, retail or cleaning - is this all they think disabled people are capable of?!

It's really an insult to our intelligence when they think those are the only jobs we are capable of doing. I've been through employment services were they thought the only jobs I could do were either janitorial, mail sorting, or flipping burgers. They completely disregard my college education and skills. :I

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 4:42 pm

Madao wrote:
Bloodheart wrote:
however today I was told government have made changes so Remploy now offer less support and we're put into one of three groups; call centre, retail or cleaning - is this all they think disabled people are capable of?!

It's really an insult to our intelligence when they think those are the only jobs we are capable of doing. I've been through employment services were they thought the only jobs I could do were either janitorial, mail sorting, or flipping burgers. They completely disregard my college education and skills. :I

Despite studying English and Maths at college the job centre once sent me to a language and literacy centre.
They were, in all seriousness, teaching 2 + 2...lucky they gave me a test on the first day so that saved me some time as they told me to get out of there - I hold the record there for highest test results and completing the test in the fastest time :cheers:

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 6:31 pm

When I worked at the hospital my boss suspected that I had autism and would only asign me the most menial cleaning jobs and when those ran out he reluctantly assigned me wheelchair repair jobs. My boss thought that I was a total ret*d but what he did not realize is that as far as computer science and artificial intelligence is concerned it is not the fastest computer that is the most intelligent but rather the computer that has the most connections.

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jun 2011, 10:09 am

How do you write up a resume without sounding too desperate or too demanding?

No luck finding any work experience relating to your field of study. Most job applications probably get deleted without even being read. Are these jobs your applying for even legitimate?

I do not want to accept any job that I do not want to do. I want a job relating to my study or something I may be interested and not quit within a week. I have walked out on a number of different places that were menial jobs that were not for me.

I have tried making stuff up on my resume but I do not have any references to back up my claims. I so hate it when recruiters ask for references.

Being forced to take any job is nonsense. I do not want to do cleaning, factory, retail or call centre jobs.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 7:47 pm

When I made up a resume I put all of my inventions on my resume. Since they were my inventions I did not need references to back up my claim. I was hired and for 2 years I was constantly told that I lied on my resume but I got 2 years work with good pay.

mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jun 2011, 2:36 am

I was out of work for about a year as well. Went to job centers and got less help then you, after sitting in a room for three hours hearing how the programs work and the others that showed up asking how this is going to change their free money. When I asked for their help they were to shocked to help. These places do not understand their is different levels of autism.

As for cheating on your resume. Use family as References just change who they are. For my first job ( was 15) I put my moms best friend as my boss for five months computer repair and was let go because because of a new rule needing to be 18. Or if you don't trust family/ family friends do it your self. I spent a year working as a reading tutor to this poor old mans grandkid because he ruined his lungs smoking. (Was me on a pre paid cell using a type and talk app)

danum
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2011, 10:11 am

I'm 49 and never had a job and receive no help whatsoever from the jobcentre. They sendme on courses which are totally unsuitable for me because they are meant to get long-term unemployed people back into work. I explain to them that I've never had a job and need a lot support in actually getting my first job. They don't understand the difference and the many problems that I'm facing.