Andersen was gay 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Andersen was bisexual 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
Andersen was asexual 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 2:42 am

There is some speculation that the child writer of 19-th century, Hans Christian Andersen, was gay. At the same time, however, there were at least two women he fell in love with, both of whom rejected him. In light of this, it is quite possible he was straight (although, of course, there are also gay ppl who pretend to fall in love with opposite gender in order to gain acceptance); or he could have been bisexual, which would allow him to fall in love with women and men at the same time, explaining "evidence" in both directions. He could have also been asexual since he remained virgin throughout his life; but then again it can simply be due to the fact that sex outside marriage was taboo in 19th century and he was never able to marry successfully. What is your opinion on this?

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 3:37 am

Why does it matter?
He's dead.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

25 Jun 2011, 9:25 pm

Where's the 'Don't Care' option?

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 6:44 pm

SyphonFilter wrote:

Well I am sure you would be interested in finding out about other aspects of his life, as evidenced by the popularity of the museums about famous people, including Anderson. So why suppress your interest in case of the topic about his sexual orientation, simply because it is not politically correct to care about it?

jastay3
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jul 2011, 2:39 am

Because it is politically correct to care about it and extremely tiresome.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 2:43 am

Roman wrote:
SyphonFilter wrote:

Well I am sure you would be interested in finding out about other aspects of his life, as evidenced by the popularity of the museums about famous people, including Anderson. So why suppress your interest in case of the topic about his sexual orientation, simply because it is not politically correct to care about it?

Political correctness has very little to do with it. what his sexual orientation might have been is irrelevant.

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 3:50 pm

Roman wrote:
SyphonFilter wrote:

Weather or not he was gay or straight is totally irrelevant to and does not affect the content of his writings, so what's the significance of knowing? If it doesn't change the field in which a person excelled at, than it's unimportant, IMHO.