I need help from parents of adolescents with AS!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

OnTheSpectrum
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jun 2011, 9:01 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm relatively new to this site as I only recently found out about it. My brother has AS and although I am not diagnosed, I am very much like him! I am studying psychology at university and I am specializing in AS, as it is very close to my heart. I'm currently doing a research project looking at "the experience of social anxiety in adolescents with Asperger syndrome".

The research involves both AS and NT adolescents completing a 15 minute online questionnaire. The questionnaire is completely anonymous in that no names are taken and therefore answers provided cannot be traced back to the individual, and only aggregate data will be reported. The questions are about things like self-esteem and percieved social competence/acceptance. By undertaking this research I hope to identify some of the key factors that contribute to social anxiety in these adolescents, to better inform social anxiety interventions and decrease the risk for developing depression.

If there are any parents on here who have an adolescent with AS who think they would like to participate, please send me a private message! The consent procedure involves both you and your child signing a consent form, which will need to be sent back to me as a scanned document via email. I can then send you the link to the questionnaire for your child to complete. I would greatly appreciate your assistance, as due to the hassle of the consent procedure I am having difficulty finding parents who are willing to help!

Thanks everyone!

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 9:50 pm

My husband is an adult Aspie and our daughter is only 11 years-old. Sorry I cannot help.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 8:12 am

You should get permission from Alex Plank first before trying to find people for a study. You can send him an email or a message.

OnTheSpectrum
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jun 2011, 6:01 pm

liloleme wrote:
You should get permission from Alex Plank first before trying to find people for a study. You can send him an email or a message.

Thanks, Alex has now approved my post.