Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Koko23
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jun 2011, 10:22 pm

I'm curious if girls here have anything like this, and if so, what specifically?

My father rocks. I rock when I'm trying to focus but struggling (it happened a lot when I was sitting in lectures in college and my friends would tease... until I stopped going that is).

So here it is: tape. I guess I have a tactile fascination with sticky things. As a child, I used to "stick on things", which meant rolling a piece of tape around in my fingers, passing it from one finger to the next. I'd do this for hours, it would always calm me down.

Today, I often keep tape in my bag or in my pocket so I have access to it in an emergency.

I've never heard of anyone with this particular issue, despite all my internet searches.

Anybody else find comfort in strange behaviors like this?

MyriaJean
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jun 2011, 5:32 am

I rock side-to-side (not back-and-forth). I used to spin in circles if I had to stand too long, even in high school. I knit because it's soothing and socially acceptable :D

snpeden
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Aug 2011, 7:24 pm

I have always done this! As far back as I can remember I've sought sticky things to fidget with. Tape, sticky lint rollers, that rubber cement stuff you find on packaging...I catch myself peeling labels from gatorade bottles and "sticking to them". And it does tend to make me feel better and calmer, I tend to space out while doing this. Indescribably glad to find someone who does this same thing.

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 12:13 pm

I love the sticky feeling of tape, though I don't use it as a calming tool. More often I'll flick my middle fingernail off the underside of my thumbnail.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 10:59 pm

I used to click pens, but when it became clear that it was disturbing to people I started wagging pens back and forth or tapping the other hand with the pen instead. I do rock sometimes, but only when I'm alone; rather than 'comforting,' I would say that it feels 'comfortable,' as if that's what my body wants to do naturally.

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2011, 9:38 pm

I like having ice cubes with me whenever I go out. Also I rock whenever stressed out. These things help me when I get overwhelmed

Melpomene
Raven
Raven

23 Aug 2011, 4:35 am

I run my fingernails across my lower lip. If the skin on the side of my thumb is rough, that will do too. I honestly don't have the faintest clue why I do it, but it's comforting nonetheless.

Wikiwoo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Aug 2011, 5:23 pm

I play with my rings, specifically, I turn them over and over and over. If I don't have any rings on, or take one off that I have had on for a long time it takes me weeks to stop searching for it to turn when I need something to do. It has always been like that, I have always worn rings. Now that I am married it makes it easier, I always have a ring on to turn!

n3v3rm0r3
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Aug 2011, 2:18 am

I've rocked myself from side to side and back and forth (depending if I'm sitting or laying down) for as long as I can remember. I do it alone or in public, I just don't care what others think of it. I find it soothing. I also play solitaire or Yahtzee by myself. I particularly like Yahtzee, rolling the dice over and over is very calming for me. Lastly I like to rub my feet together, almost like wringing ones hands.

Gail_And_Anja-SD_Team
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Aug 2011, 7:52 pm

that sounds very much like what i do. as a baby, i discovered taking apart the edges of the carpet, and keeping a handful of it hidden in my bed, where, to go to sleep, it was my trusty thumb and brushing the rough glued part of the carpet yarn around my lips. now, i make my own 'yarn' by buying the batting usually sewn into baby quilts, which i cut into long strips. i handspin the strips into yarn, which curls into tight loops. at that stage, i tie them together, and dribble FrayCheck (its a product for sewers to stop frizzling in buttonholes, hems and such) over all the yarn, soaking it in it. when it dries, its nice and scratchy, i can wind the yarn around my fingers, hold it tightly or brush it around my lips when im tense, tired, etc. been doing variations of this for almost 40 years (im 51), and it helps a lot.

a service dog is better, but my Anja died last year, and i havent been able to replace her, so i've been much tenser since then.

Melpomene wrote:
I run my fingernails across my lower lip. If the skin on the side of my thumb is rough, that will do too. I honestly don't have the faintest clue why I do it, but it's comforting nonetheless.

CeciliaAnn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Sep 2011, 12:46 pm

Standing on one foot, constant manual stimulation, wearing my winter coat indoors or out-of-season. Making animal noises.

"Misery's fun, I'm kissing everyone... I gotta hold my tongue." - The Breeders

Gail_And_Anja-SD_Team
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Sep 2011, 6:38 pm

hm, thats interesting about you and your coat. our son used to be an incredible pain in the patooki about wearing his parka when it would get cold here in Kansas, then not want to take it off when the weather got warm. his current clothing screwup is insisting on wearing longsleeved dark buttoned shirts, black cowboy hat (at least we live in the right area those are common!^_^) and black jeans and shoes. and no, he isnt a goth, emo or whatever the current reason kids wear dark clothes....he's 20, and doesnt socalise with anyone outside the county library or the producers of a Shakespeare play tht is going to be put on soon, where he is to be a busker wandering through the crowd, doing physical Keatonesq comedy skits. i really worry about him having heatstroke from all that dark clothing soaking up the heat.

CeciliaAnn wrote:
Standing on one foot, constant manual stimulation, wearing my winter coat indoors or out-of-season. Making animal noises.