Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

05 Jul 2011, 7:18 pm

The mosquitos are out, and biting.
I also feel crawling things on me when there is really nothing there.
Would this be considered another sensory issue?

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 7:44 pm

I don't think so. If there's nothing there that's a hallucination induced by an increased state of awareness (assuming that you know you're going to get bit by mosquitoes). The actual medical term is called Formication and is quite common. As long as you're not visually hallucinating mosquitoes, I'd say it's nothing to worry about.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

05 Jul 2011, 7:57 pm

If for any reason you're worried about mosquitoes biting, spray on some bug repellent with Deet in it.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 8:05 pm

SyphonFilter wrote:
If for any reason you're worried about mosquitoes biting, spray on some bug repellent with Deet in it.

Surely you must be joking. Have you actually tried that stuff? It doesn't work anymore, they've evolved. They like DEET now.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

05 Jul 2011, 8:10 pm

SammichEater wrote:
SyphonFilter wrote:

Surely you must be joking. Have you actually tried that stuff? It doesn't work anymore, they've evolved. They like DEET now.

No, I'm serious. Every time I go camping where many mosquitoes are during the summer, I use repellent with DEET, and I don't get bit. No bites, man. No bites.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 8:14 pm

SyphonFilter wrote:
No, I'm serious. Every time I go camping where many mosquitoes are during the summer, I use repellent with DEET, and I don't get bit. No bites, man. No bites.

Well, I'm glad it works for you. When I was out camping a few weeks ago, I used half a can of DEET, there was a breeze, and I sat next to the fire, and I still got bit hundreds of times. And it wasn't just me getting bit after applying repellant. We all were. They must have evolved.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

05 Jul 2011, 9:15 pm

I've alrady gotten a bunch of nasty bites. Gotta love summer.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 1:02 am

I get bit by thing. the one thing I do to try to control them in the House is the only spiders I let live is the daddy longlegs spider because they just set up in the corner out of the way. the other Spiders I do kill.

Arian
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jul 2011, 4:06 am

Ok, I'm obsessed. The moment I saw the title of this, I interpreted it as a thread about the DeHavilland Mosquito Mk IV fighter-bomber from WWII. Which was a very cool plane.

... I'll get my coat... ;)

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 4:16 am

Oregon has mosquitoes?

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 4:54 am

Here, in Scotland, we have the dreaded midge. I got a few bites at the weekend and one looks horrendous - I think it's infected. Might need to go to doc.

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 5:00 am

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
Here, in Scotland, we have the dreaded midge. I got a few bites at the weekend and one looks horrendous - I think it's infected. Might need to go to doc.

I've never heard of a midge before. Here in Melbourne, we don't get mosquitoes unless it's Summer I think, in which for some unbeknown reason they start flying near our home :?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

06 Jul 2011, 5:02 am

SammichEater wrote:
SyphonFilter wrote:

Well, I'm glad it works for you. When I was out camping a few weeks ago, I used half a can of DEET, there was a breeze, and I sat next to the fire, and I still got bit hundreds of times. And it wasn't just me getting bit after applying repellant. We all were. They must have evolved.

Some breeds have evolved an immunity, but others have not. Don't worry, though - continued use will ensure that they're all immune eventually.

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 5:13 am

Does your country sell any mosquito repellant roll-ons that contain "Citronella"? I find that they can reduce the incidence of mosquitoes stinging you.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 10:59 am

Amajanshi wrote:
Oregon has mosquitoes?

Lots of them, unfortunately. Mostly in the valley and the gorge.