My family doesn't respect me

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you feel accepted and respected by your immediate family?
Yes 27%  27%  [ 11 ]
No 73%  73%  [ 30 ]
Total votes : 41

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 12:04 am

I don't feel accepted or respected by my family. I never really did. My dad always thought that I was slow and my mum always silenced me about my special interests. My dad made me feel stupid and my mum made me feel unwanted. My sister dated me by saying sarcastic things about The 60s. I didn't like the 90s. My sister and I clashed, because of that. The only person who understood me, was my aunt on my dad's side of the family and she passed away almost 4 years ago.

thfy
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Nov 2011, 2:05 am

My acceptance within my immediate family varies from family member to family member -- I'm not generally respected per se, in the sense of inspiring admiration or esteem, but other than my sister and my mother (and I don't know if I should count my mother, she has schizophrenia and her reactions to many things are kind of irrelevant), I do feel accepted. My father is amazing about everything except the Asperger's, and he tries even on that.

I don't know. It really depends on the person.

I think the definition of "respect" intended here is in the sense of taking someone seriously... Which I've almost never had anywhere for any of my 'issues'. Personally? I don't open up about mental health issues. It is a surefire way not to have people giggle at them. :roll: If I feel like opening up, I write, draw, or open up some skin in a more literal sense. If you try explaining a psychological issue to an NT -- or a paranoid schizophrenic, for that matter -- it will backfire.

Even with the "best" intentions, they'll immediately want to know if you're serious, and will try to illicit the worst response they can as soon as they learn about it. Or they won't believe you at all.

TabrisAngel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2011, 3:17 am

My family doesn't respect my needs at all, quite frankly I've been steamrolled over by everyone. Both of my sisters have boyfriends and are happy with them. I'm gay, and my dad doesn't accept my homosexuality. On at least one occasion, I've been castigated for being single and a nerd. Everyone else in the family has no hobbies, watch the local college football game every saturday, listen to popular musicians, and are basically happy. I have plenty of hobbies I want to do, and I'm spend most of the time I'm home from college watching my sister's 15-month old toddler. To add insult to injury, nobody cares about my interests at all or that I even exist (aside from my role as a workhorse taking care of needed household chores or babysitting). I find it strange that I have more free time and more freedom when I am at college doing homework or listening to music than when I get home and decide to get on my laptop here.

All said, my family doesn't respect me and I don't like or respect my family.