Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 8:36 pm

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20077 ... ight-cops/

Thanks O'Bama!

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 3:27 pm

I hate to say this, but private corporations have no obligation to abide by some things in the Constitution. Comcast has been throttling users' bandwidth for years. It is against the rules to use filesharing software like BitTorrent on Comcast. Google no longer allows searches for it either. And in the end, the US Govt has an obligation to uphold copyright law. "Free music" really doesn't work in the real world. The youth have been coddled, expecting music for free.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 3:52 pm

pezar wrote:
I hate to say this, but private corporations have no obligation to abide by some things in the Constitution. Comcast has been throttling users' bandwidth for years. It is against the rules to use filesharing software like BitTorrent on Comcast. Google no longer allows searches for it either. And in the end, the US Govt has an obligation to uphold copyright law. "Free music" really doesn't work in the real world. The youth have been coddled, expecting music for free.

I the Real world all music is free. It is a new thing even to think about paying for it.
Radio, public concerts, house parties busking, minstrels etc
it takes more structure to try to make people pay.
It will remain free.

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 4:04 pm

pezar wrote:
Google no longer allows searches for it either.

Just insert the word "torrent" in your Google search, and voila. It works--I just checked.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 4:23 pm

there are bands today that choose to publish their music for free and rely on donations and merchandise, still more than enough, in some cases even moe than when affiliated with a label.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 4:37 pm

pezar wrote:
I hate to say this, but private corporations have no obligation to abide by some things in the Constitution. Comcast has been throttling users' bandwidth for years. It is against the rules to use filesharing software like BitTorrent on Comcast. Google no longer allows searches for it either.

To hell with the constitution. This BS puts the openness of the internet at risk. This is about the internet becoming a one-directional piece of crap like cable.
Quote:
And in the end, the US Govt has an obligation to uphold copyright law.

Yes, it does. And it already fullfills that obligation. No more measures are needed, and in fact the DMCA was itself way more than enough as it also kills fair use. Any more ideas to keep protecting copyright infrigement are more about authoritarism than protecting right owners.

There is also an OBLIGATION from copyright holders for them to catch and denounce copyright infringement of their works. It is even a common sense thing, because there are so many works out there that if you are hosting a site or a ISP , you really have no idea if a work is copyright infringement or not.

What we have here is copyright holders expecting other people (including google, and the US government) to do their work. They are the freeloaders this time.

What this will cause is ISPs block things they think is infringement. Even when the infrigement is actually fair use, for example. Or what if you use torrents to transport things that are legal to share?

Copyright holders should stop being lazy, stop thinking that other people should do their jobs. And be the ones who deal with pirates through court.

Quote:
"Free music" really doesn't work in the real world. The youth have been coddled, expecting music for free.
Straw man.

The copyright law already existed. The copyright holders already had the ability to stop the pirates. They are being lazy and in their lazyness they are destroying the freedom of the internet. Which has nothing to do with free content.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 6:29 pm

Arrrrrggghhhhhh!
I think I'm staying home 11/6/2012.