Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

immortalwarrior
Raven
Raven

28 Aug 2006, 4:35 pm

ok i think i told you guys i just started school almost 2 weeks ago. Im enrolled in 3 classes Computer Gaming Design Swimming, and Midi Composition. I have a total of 6 units. The homework in Computer gaming is real difficult and a b***h to do especially if you dont have a modern day computer i have an old piece of s**t computer. So i have to do my homework at home. Thing is ive never been able to maintain a good grade average with more than one class. I took 14 units at one time which was 4 or 5 classes and i failed 3 of them and almost was expelled. So im thinking of dropping my wednessday midi class because i dont think i can concentrate on more than one academic class. Im extremly stressed i have a learning disability :cry: it makes me feel inferior that i cant do as well as others. I feel bad about dropping this class but its just something that i feel i have to do because its very stressful having a gaming class and a midi class on top of it. :/

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2006, 5:37 pm

dude your ahead of most aspies, wo just drop out and get pissed off with life.
you seem to be aware of your limutations which is surrisingly insightfull given your level of frustration.
you seem to know what to do . and what u need to do to achieve at least a pass.....i faile dfirst year uni but i went back and adapted.
you seem to be going well, just trist your judgement, but it is also good to get anynmous advice.

immortalwarrior
Raven
Raven

28 Aug 2006, 5:53 pm

well your certainly better off than i am im going to a community city college your going to Uni Uni is a huge deal plus thats the hardest of them all

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2006, 5:58 pm

ok i went to uni and graduated 10 years ago. i dunno what community college is but dud eif it is too tough, talk to your lecturers or a friend, i never did and i dropped out and repested my first year.
just know that you are finding it difficult to cope.
i didnt post to compare to you, im trying to help and i see that you aware of what you can and cant do and im saying that thi sis good

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2006, 6:02 pm

I agree with donkey, just do what you have to do to pass and get the degree. Take fewer classes, take them pass/fail if that is an option (I did that with 1 class in college). But don't drop out or put it off... the longer you wait, the harder it is to go back and get the degree.

appassionata
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Aug 2006, 8:05 am

Hello

Sorry you're stressed.

Although I'm an old Mummy now, I do remember what hard work Uni. was. I don't know about the American education system, or what problems you're having with your course. However, I'd say:

* speak to your tutor about the difficulties you're having. They should be able to give you extra help or suggest some more effective study techniques. It's their job to help you.

* be very goal orientated. Take modules that you know you're good at to maximize your chance of success (even if they are not the most interesting)

* make effective use of the available resources, such as the library & internet. It's unlikely that the work set is completely new/original - someone, somewhere will have done something like it before

Good luck.