Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dancinonwater
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jul 2011, 12:04 pm

I am having a lot of trouble with sarcasm. Of course, it is often that I do not know when people are being sarcastic, but I also have a lot of trouble with knowing when it is ok to be sarcastic. I attempt to use sarcasm, you know, in order to fit in and not seem so strange and overly rational to people, but I always seem to use it at the wrong times. Does anyone have some tips?

Thanks a lot!

catlover02
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jul 2011, 12:20 pm

I have a lot of trouble with sarcasm too, so I understand what you're talking about. I do NOT know when someone is being sarcastic or not, so we're in the same boat. :(

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 12:53 pm

Same here. Usually, I give serious answers to sarcastic remarks only to be told, "I was KIDDING!" Then I become very embarrased and withdraw. I don't like people who always do this to me. It makes me feel bullied, even though I know (in most cases) they weren't trying to be mean on purpose.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 1:06 pm

I have gotten better as detecting sarcasm and I use it all the time but I have no idea when it's hurtful. It's been pointed out to me and sometimes I don't even know I am being sarcastic. I just have a sense of humor.

When someone says something is great when really it's not, they are being sarcastic. Like with the computer freezing up or getting stuck in traffic or when a store is out of something or when something breaks.

If someone asks you if you can be more annoying or if something can get any worse or if you can be louder or more rude or more obnoxious, they are being sarcastic. If someone asks you if you can be even more messier, they are being sarcastic.

But of course if you are in a noisy situation and you are talking and someone asks you if you can talk louder, they are not being sarcastic.

MyDogSasha
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jul 2011, 1:30 pm

kouzoku wrote:
Same here. Usually, I give serious answers to sarcastic remarks only to be told, "I was KIDDING!" Then I become very embarrased and withdraw. I don't like people who always do this to me. It makes me feel bullied, even though I know (in most cases) they weren't trying to be mean on purpose.

same...they yell at me that there kidding but sometimes i do get it or i just ignore it mostly if im not sure....like not say anything

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 1:33 pm

In a communications class, I once told the professor how I disliked the way young people end every sentence with a rising intonation that makes it sound like they are asking a question. He was trying to illustrate to the rest of the class by talking to me in that way. I actually thought he was asking questions after we had JUST discussed it. I was SO embarrassed. I want to hide just thinking about it.

ForestRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jul 2011, 1:46 pm

I'm not too great with sarcasm myself even though I've improved a lot- I got upset over sarcasm way too many times as a child. I've learned to recognise it now, most times, which is good.

I'll try and think of tips but they might not be so great. When somebody is using sarcasm, they tend to really emphasise parts of what they're saying. They might say it in a voice which is unusual or fake for them.

If they raise their eyebrows or clap their hands slowly as they're saying it, "Well done!" They are almost definitely being sarcastic.

It helps to think about the context- again, if you knock something over and somebody says to you "Oh, well done!" They are being sarcastic, because they wouldn't exactly congratulate you for knocking something over. Sometimes sarcasm is obvious if you just think about the context.

Certain parts of the sentence are emphasised, e.g. "Yes, because I'm really going to go out in the pouring rain just to get you some milk."

If you're still at all unsure whether somebody is being sarcastic or not, it's probably best just to avoid commenting and smile or change the subject.

I suppose it's important to make sure other people know when you're being sarcastic, too. I think it's best not to use sarcasm too much because people will get annoyed with it. When I use sarcasm I tend to really emphasise what I'm saying and roll my eyes/clap hands (but not overly, just subtly!) and laugh a little or shake your head. Put on a slightly fake voice and emphasise what you're saying but be careful not to go over the top.

Overall it's pretty complicated and thinking about it I can see why someone would get annoyed by too much sarcasm! It's also best not to use it too much because sarcasm is generally at the expense of someone else and can make them feel put down or as if they're being made fun of. Their reaction, if they feel like that, will most likely be to move away, look at you weirdly or act defensively.

That's my experience- from observing people being sarcastic/talking to my Mum about it and just practise...correct me if I'm wrong! :P

Again, try not to use sarcasm too much just to fit in. Too much sarcasm tends to put people off. It's okay in really obvious situations, for instance if somebody on the TV says something really ridiculous or the instructions on a booklet are pointless, "Do not eat" on a tin of chalk. "Yeah, because I'm reallygoing to start eating chalk for dinner!" *raises eyebrows.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 2:17 pm

I don't really care for sarcasm. I refuse to use it, because I don't like it being used on me.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 2:24 pm

dancinonwater wrote:
I am having a lot of trouble with sarcasm. Of course, it is often that I do not know when people are being sarcastic, but I also have a lot of trouble with knowing when it is ok to be sarcastic. I attempt to use sarcasm, you know, in order to fit in and not seem so strange and overly rational to people, but I always seem to use it at the wrong times. Does anyone have some tips?

Thanks a lot!

First you have to discern when someone is dissatisfied or doesn't like something. Like, let's say a long line inside at the bank. Let's say you have a friend or family member with you because it's easier to be sarcastic with people you know than with strangers. When you notice your companion(s) looking bored or unhappy with waiting that's when you say something like, "I had nothing else planned for today. Might as well spend it in this line!" That's just an intro to sarcasm. You can work on wittiness after you get the basics down.
Let's say you are watching a movie with a friend and it's really lame. You notice your friend isn't really digging the movie either, that's when you can make a sarcastic comment about something in the movie like, "Gee, I never saw that before," or "That's an original plot."
Sarcasm should, ideally, happen when the person you are with doesn't like something, then you won't annoy them by putting down something they like.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 2:31 pm

An example of when sarcasm can go wrong from Father Ted. Father Jessup is meant to be the most sarcastic priest ever and he confuses Mrs. Doyle!

Mrs. Doyle: Shall I make the beds in the spare room?
Father Jessup: [sarcastic] No, we'll sleep outside in a ditch!
Mrs. Doyle: OK so... would you like a cup of tea?
Father Jessup: [sarcastic] No, We'd rather die of thirst.
Mrs. Doyle: [uncertain] Ok so...
Father Ted: [quiet] Mrs. Doyle, I think Father Jessup might have been being a bit... sarcastic...
Mrs. Doyle: Really? Were you being sarcastic, Father Jessup?
Father Jessup: [still sarcastic] No, we'd like to die of thirst.
Mrs. Doyle: [looks confusedly at Father Ted]
Father Ted: [quiet] Mrs. Doyle, I know it's a bit confusing, but the trick is to do the opposite to what Father Jessup says.
Mrs. Doyle: [very uncertain] So, you really... do... want a cup of tea?
Father Jessup: [exasperated] Yes! [reaches out for the cup]
Mrs. Doyle: [takes the cup away, and looks very pleased with herself thinking she has understood correctly]

Later on Father Jack traps him in his dirty underwear hamper and when he asks to be let out Mrs Doyle thinks he's being sarcastic!

ForestRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jul 2011, 2:52 pm

Jellybean wrote:
An example of when sarcasm can go wrong from Father Ted. Father Jessup is meant to be the most sarcastic priest ever and he confuses Mrs. Doyle!

Mrs. Doyle: Shall I make the beds in the spare room?
Father Jessup: [sarcastic] No, we'll sleep outside in a ditch!
Mrs. Doyle: OK so... would you like a cup of tea?
Father Jessup: [sarcastic] No, We'd rather die of thirst.
Mrs. Doyle: [uncertain] Ok so...
Father Ted: [quiet] Mrs. Doyle, I think Father Jessup might have been being a bit... sarcastic...
Mrs. Doyle: Really? Were you being sarcastic, Father Jessup?
Father Jessup: [still sarcastic] No, we'd like to die of thirst.
Mrs. Doyle: [looks confusedly at Father Ted]
Father Ted: [quiet] Mrs. Doyle, I know it's a bit confusing, but the trick is to do the opposite to what Father Jessup says.
Mrs. Doyle: [very uncertain] So, you really... do... want a cup of tea?
Father Jessup: [exasperated] Yes! [reaches out for the cup]
Mrs. Doyle: [takes the cup away, and looks very pleased with herself thinking she has understood correctly]

Later on Father Jack traps him in his dirty underwear hamper and when he asks to be let out Mrs Doyle thinks he's being sarcastic!

This made me laugh :D A great example of why you shouldn't use sarcasm too much! It reminds me a bit of The Boy Who Cried Wolf, but with sarcasm instead of making up things!

MissWiggy
Raven
Raven

10 Jul 2011, 3:01 pm

I quite like sarcasm and I think I have always been good with it but I think if the other person keeps being sarcastic for a long period, I start to get confused and think they are being serious, and maybe start getting defensive... then they have to remind me that they are just kidding.
I think I can manage it in small doses in friendly banter and some friends think I can be quite funny at times (when I do make conversation!)

I can understand how frustrating it might be if you don't get sarcasm though... it's like learning a foreign language and being unable to get the nuances.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 4:51 pm

I use sarcasm all the time. Sometimes, I use it at inappropriate times. Most of the time, my inappropriate facial expressions and voice tone make my sarcastic remarks very hard to detect. On top of that, I usually don't understand sarcasm, even more when it comes from people I trust.
Nonetheless, I appreciate sarcasm.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 7:29 pm

dancinonwater wrote:

Thanks a lot!

Sarcasm and sardonic wit are as natural to me as is breathing. It is just the way I am.

ruveyn

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

10 Jul 2011, 11:50 pm

Normally I catch sarcasm head on, but it's hard to tell with my sister because she always sounds like a snivelling b***h. :lol: :roll:

BillyIdolFan217
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2011, 12:35 am

I'm bad at understanding sarcasm and even jokes most of the time! People have to tell me they're joking!