How can I tell if a man with AS is interested?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 9:31 am

CrinklyCrustacean wrote:
spongy wrote:
Now seriously you dont have to ask him about his feelings towards you but asking him to hang out with you(couple activities are a plus)eventually sends the right idea.
Ever heard of the word coffee/insert beverage of choice here Ive been told that asking him to have one with you can be quite helpfull.

This reminds me of the scene in The Big Bang Theory where a girl at the university offers to buy Sheldon a pizza for supper and makes it clear (though indirect) that she is asking him on a date. Sheldon agrees, Leonard says, "Sheldon, do you know what just happened?" and Sheldon replies, "Yeah, I got free pizza!!" :lol:

"The Big Bang Theory" is a joke. No one so socially inept as these characters would have been able to get any further than junior high with crappy social skills like them.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Jul 2011, 10:03 am

Say something that is explicitly a chance to date ("do you want to go for coffee with me sometime?" or similar) but do so in a fairly casual way so you don't put too much on the line.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 11:02 am

Lonermutant wrote:
CrinklyCrustacean wrote:
spongy wrote:
Now seriously you dont have to ask him about his feelings towards you but asking him to hang out with you(couple activities are a plus)eventually sends the right idea.
Ever heard of the word coffee/insert beverage of choice here Ive been told that asking him to have one with you can be quite helpfull.

This reminds me of the scene in The Big Bang Theory where a girl at the university offers to buy Sheldon a pizza for supper and makes it clear (though indirect) that she is asking him on a date. Sheldon agrees, Leonard says, "Sheldon, do you know what just happened?" and Sheldon replies, "Yeah, I got free pizza!!" :lol:

"The Big Bang Theory" is a joke. No one so socially inept as these characters would have been able to get any further than junior high with crappy social skills like them.
I got through school with very bad social skills (don't know if they were this bad, but they were REALLY bad) without socializing at all, for the most part. The socializing I did did not require higher-order social skills. It was quite painful, though.

As for asking someone out, I'm not quite sure about the indirect approaches with aspies because I've tried some on a guy I liked but was too nervous to ask him out and he never got the hints. Here are my suggestions as to the clues that would indicate whether he likes you or not, gleaned from my personal experience:
- He is willing to do something that seems to be not in his line of interest but where you are present (most likely just to see you again!)
- He smiles at you a lot
- He mentions your name and the word "only" in the same sentence
- He brings up the topic of relationships at least once in your encounters WITHOUT talking about some other potential girlfriend/crush
- He never/rarely declines when you make an offer to meet up/talk

With my current boyfriend, though, we told each other directly that we like each other before attempting to do anything else that is intimate in nature. I told him about my feelings for him first, though. I know it's often hard to gather that courage, but it may well be worth it in the long run!

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

ShadeX
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jul 2011, 11:16 am

He stairs intently at the floor and remarks what nice shoes you have?

Most men are clueless if women like them. AS guys from my expierence are 100 times more dense on the issue. Many of us have dated alot, or gave up on it. Its one of those things where dating games don't apply. Best to be dirrect with a touch of seductive.

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jul 2011, 11:17 am

Ask him, as an aspie, there is a good chance the question will not 'put his hopes up'. So, it may (disclaimer here) be safe to just ask directly.

TechnoMonk
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 4:09 pm

If a guy with aspergers is interested i'd imagine that'd it go one of two ways. He'll either be really obvious or he'll hide it completely.

I'm of the hide it completely type. I don't like to take chances + i refuse to open myself up in case I get it wrong. It's not even like ive tried it on with girls and ended up being this way through rejection, i simply haven't tried. I just hate to give people power over me.

Blunt is best.