Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nerdymama
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jul 2011, 5:55 pm

This is probably a very silly post.. but anyways...

Does anyone else eat in a weird way? And do people comment on how you eat?

I tend to pick at and examine what im eating and have done it since I was young.

Ex. I like to eat corn on the cob by eating one piece of corn at a time, when i have foods that are mixed I eat the different types of foods one piece at a time in a certain order, for brocolli I nibble the top off (sometimes 1 tiny piece at a time :) ) then eat the stem.. and ect ect..

Does anyone else do this kind of thing too?

Katatonic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2011, 5:59 pm

I've been asked several times if I've done time in prison due to the way I hover over my food and keep it closely guarded. Thats all thanks to an Autistic brother who had lightning quick hands and would often times steal food off my plate when I wasn't looking. And I stop eating if someone starts talking to me while I eat. It just makes me angry and I think its rude...

I also eat the same foods every day. Like when I go shopping I get the same amount of products as I did the last time. The good thing is that it only takes me 15 minutes in the grocery store to get everything I need because I know exactly where it is and I have a planned route through out the store :D

Arisa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jul 2011, 6:00 pm

I dissect my food all the time--especially when it's sushi. Then I take it apart, bit by bit, and eat each part individually. My parents and I like to joke about deconstructing the sushi.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

19 Jul 2011, 6:09 pm

nerdymama wrote:
I tend to pick at and examine what im eating and have done it since I was young.

*points at myself* :roll: :lol:

SilverShoelaces
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jul 2011, 6:10 pm

I used to be very particular about how I ate my food (and I still am with a few things), but then middle school came and I only had five minutes to eat my lunch. That kind of ruined my enjoyment of eating most things one piece at a time. It didn't help that my friends commented on it whenever I started to revert to my old habits, and that basically quashed most of the temptation.

I still do it with some ice cream bars (and other things with "crusts" on the outside that I can eat before I even get to the inside) and with lotus (and other foods with funny shapes). The texture is just too fun on those things to pass up.

When I still ate pizza, I used to eat the slice and then the crust...but I think that's actually really common, come to think of it. Ooh, and my brother and I used to turn tortillas into snowflakes, and then eat the tortillas plain.

YoungTurk
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jul 2011, 6:57 pm

I take delight in a bowl of dip-size Frito corn chips drenched in orange juice. Cheetos and Cheeze Its work well, too, with the OJ.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2011, 7:26 pm

nerdymama wrote:
for brocolli I nibble the top off (sometimes 1 tiny piece at a time :) ) then eat the stem.. and ect ect..

I thought everybody did that... its the only way I've ever eaten broccoli.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

19 Jul 2011, 10:32 pm

Tuttle wrote:
nerdymama wrote:
for brocolli I nibble the top off (sometimes 1 tiny piece at a time :) ) then eat the stem.. and ect ect..

I thought everybody did that... its the only way I've ever eaten broccoli.

Same. :|

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2011, 10:35 pm

Supposedly I eat like a pig. And I always examine my food before I eat it too.

FearOfMusic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2011, 11:46 pm

I think I have fairly normal eating habits. There only two things I do that people comment on about my eating habits. Ever since I was a child I always loathed 'American' style of setting down your knife to use your fork with your right hand when you eat... I just have fork in the left hand and knife in the right and don't do the whole switch thing. My parents always tried to make me do it the 'American' way but I just refused... they went to Europe and now admit that you don't have to switch hands. :wink: The other thing people comment on is how I eat corn on the cob. I always eat it in columns rotating the corn. Rows are just silly and remind me too much of a type writer!

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2011, 11:57 pm

I don't touch food with my hands. I eat potato chips and popcorn out of a bowl with my mouth, like a pig eating out of a trough. I eat hamburgers and sandwiches holding them with a napkin or paper towel. I eat dinner rolls on a fork.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 12:16 am

I also hunch over my food although I never had my brothers try to steal my food. I've just always eaten that way. I also can't eat extremely hot food. I always wait until it's just past warm. Finally, I hold my spoon and fork thumb over rather than thumb under like "normal" people do.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 5:30 am

I either deconstruct my food (as previously described) and eat one little section at a time; or I inhale it (not literally, or course, but that is how others have described it).

I am not picky about what I eat - I'll eat pretty much anything edible.

I'm not very good at understanding hunger signals so I often won't eat except because it's time to and then I'll realise that I'm a lot hungrier than I thought and find it difficult to stop eating.

Other times I eat when I'm not hungry in order to have something to do with my hands and mouth (stimming) - chewing gum helps with this somewhat but still leaves my hands needing busied.

Noop
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jul 2011, 5:50 am

I like my food & drink to be slightly warm or cooler. I can't stand hot tea or freshly cooked food, for example. I have to leave all my meals & warm drinks for about 15-20 minutes (sometimes longer) before I can eat or drink it. I also examine my food & have been told off time & again for 'picking at my food'... I also don't like it when people mix up the 'flavouring' of the dish with the 'base' (like curry & rice, for example). I like to put each bit side by side on the plate & take a scoop of each bit. I also prefer more 'base' than 'flavouring', so I'd rather have a big bowl of rice with a ladelful of curry on top than for each bit to be an equal portion. I also like mixing warm & cold things (like putting ice cold whipped cream on a hot chocolate or putting cold cream cheese on a warm potato), but I think that's pretty normal.

kahlua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2011, 6:33 am

I'm a deconstructor....Cupcakes and muffins, eat the bottom part first then the top. Lamingtons -peel\pick the chocolate coating off first, then eat the rest.

Food on my plate must be separated - cannot be touching. Sauce\gravy cannot be poured all over the plate either.

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2011, 7:29 am

I don't like people watching me eat, so I eat alone. But I do like eating thing with my fingers as sometimes silverware just seems too cumbersome.