Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DracoAstreus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jul 2011, 7:06 pm

hello all! this might have been discussed somewhere previously but im curious about jobs for folk with AS that do not require college degrees and the like. ive recently been unofficially diagnosed and its explained virtually all of my vast arry of personal oddities... i have seen for a long time that i have exceptional mental capacities, but have become utterly and completely fed up with the modern education system since a long time ago. i do not see college courses as an option for me unless they are non-credit.

anyway, many modern jobs in the skill areas where i excel - pattern analysis, paper editing, focus on finer details, quality over quantity/speed, slow flexible pace, working alone - require proof of higher education (or at least previous professional experience). up to now, my only job has been a pizza joint for many years, which i finally quit last year. ontop of all this, ive developped an ethical standard which would keep me out of quite a lot of jobs which i consider to be wasteful or wilderness-unfriendly. i found some list multiple times in a Google search suggesting good AS jobs - virtually all of which require college. the one i found most promising was Woodworking, which i already plan to get into but which will require a good amount of time to learn and execute, so i need something else until that solidifies.

the ironic thing is that i have a setup here in Portland where my monthly expenses are roughly $400 a month! i really dont need much money, but AS is keeping me out of all jobs involving fast food and cash registers, and im running out of places to turn. i want to look into local naturalist work but that has to start out as volunteer work... I NEED HELP!

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 7:13 pm

don't quit jobs until you have a new one (unless that job is causing you health problems).

also, take the non green job. it beats living on the street.

haruka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jul 2011, 9:43 pm

If you are good at typing, there are lots of places that hire for data entry. Generally you are left alone, typing, or learning a new program then inputting data.

There are office politics to deal with, but most of that stuff slips past me as I'm not someone who sticks my nose in other people's business.

Also, you can go to a temp company and tell them you ar looking for data entry positions. This is good because it's really only the one interview process, but they send you to different places. Of course, you could specify you are looking for a permanent position too.

The good news is that these types of jobs are usually more than minimum wage too.

BTW, I'm in Canada but I presume it's similar in the US. Worst case, you can do a bit of research on Google and find out, and/or call some temp companies and ask.

NowWhat
Raven
Raven

21 Jul 2011, 2:50 pm

If you don't mind physical labor there are lots of jobs on Portland craigslist helping people move right now. Also lots of tree service jobs. I got 2 callbacks yesterday for arborist/climber jobs. Have you looked for BLM, Forest Service jobs? Pretty sure they have entry level seasonal jobs, that could be used as stepping stones. A plant health care(spraying) job might help you get experience with plant ID, insect and disease diagnosis. You would need to pass the pesticide applicators exam, but an employer might be willing to train. You might have some ethical issues with it but it's experience, analytical, and they work alone.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 7:29 am

haruka wrote:
If you are good at typing, there are lots of places that hire for data entry. Generally you are left alone, typing, or learning a new program then inputting data.

This sounds like a great idea, but I looked into it and the only jobs available required 2-3 years of experience =/

oblomov
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Aug 2011, 6:39 pm

This might be hard to do, but don't underestimate the power of the bluff. A friend of mine has a new career every few years. She has 0 experience, nor a degree, but just by talking and being enthousiastic she got hired to teach a workshop / course at several colleges. Before this she was a bartender. Before that a soul singer.

I'm not saying you should follow her parth, but maybe you could just lie about having the 2 years of experience. If it works out you get to keep the job. If it doesn't, you'll know why and might feel less bad about it.

cnidocyte
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Aug 2011, 6:00 am

Are you good with computers? You can start a computer repair business. The majority of the problems people will come to you with are software related problems (i.e removing viruses, installing Windows etc.) and when you get hardware problems usually you'll only have to replace a component or two. This is an extremely profitable business but to compete with BestBuy and other chain stores that do repairs you'll have to charge at least half what they charge. To get started get a classified ad into your local newspaper.

Dingo7
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2011, 6:32 am

Quote:
the one i found most promising was Woodworking, which i already plan to get into but which will require a good amount of time to learn and execute

I have a few careers in mind not sure which one to pursue... but one of them that intersts me is the building trades... so to pass the time im currently labouring for 2 brick layers... and last year i laboured for a plumber/gasfitter... the guys i labour for will teach me the things they do as i go... so im learning skills and building a reputation that will help me if i was to start a career in a building trade...

If you like woodworking you should ask a carpenter or cabinetmaker if you could do a bit of work for them when they need a hand...
I have a friend who labours for a cabinet maker... and he really likes the job...

The biggest downside to labouring... is communicating with your tradesman... hence why i no longer work for the plumber...

bluecountry
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2011, 5:55 pm

I would think doing something with filing would be good.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 6:10 pm

Here is a list of non-degree jobs being offered in Orange County, California...

Elevator Mechanic*
Sales Rep (Non-Tech & Manufactured Goods)
Real-Estate Broker
Talent Agent
Lawyer (just pass the Bar exam!)
Artist
Writer
Actor
Programmer
Electrician*
Carpenter*
Plumber*
Assembly Worker
Food Service
Janitorial
Care-Giver
Professional Athelete
Fashion Designer
Wedding Planner
Photographer
Florist
Caterer
Editor (Film & Video)
Flight Attendant
Nuke Plant Operator*
Sound Board Operator (Mixer)*
Disc Jockey
Delivery Driver (Fed-Ex, UPS, et Cetera)
Military Enlistee
Private Investigator
Air-Traffic Controller
Security Director
Personal Trainer
Social Worker

(*May require apprenticeship training)

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 6:38 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
haruka wrote:

This sounds like a great idea, but I looked into it and the only jobs available required 2-3 years of experience =/

Michigan is really bad for this. Again regarding college it makes me reluctant to pay for a degree and again be blocked from lack of required experience.

There are some transportation jobs in different places you might get into just by getting a Commercial Driver License. However from my experience Truck Driving has very frustrating regulations. So I've down graded myself to Cargo Van delivering Expedited freight. All you need for this is a CDL class C. You might be able to get it with just a written test.

My current job takes me across America and Canada, but maybe I can use the experience to get a local driving job.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 9:44 am

I see driving jobs pop up from time to time, and it's enticing, but I'm a textbook case of "bad Aspie driver" :x

But I wonder if I could handle it well enough to do one of those jobs where you go around refilling vending machines and things like that.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 11:27 am

One of my classmates from Trucking school quit his job driving 18 Wheeler after a month. He hated his dispatcher.

So lucky for him he had a connection and with his CDL he did get a job with a vending route company and he liked it a lot. He does have a 2nd job though now but only because the Recession is hitting his area hard but he does like the vending route job.

But really from my experience I cannot recommend the 18 wheeler job unless it's somehow local or regional. For example these days energy companies are looking for drivers to haul away Fracking debris. That might be good pay and local.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 12:29 pm

How do "social worker" and "lawyer" not require a degree?

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 1:25 am

YippySkippy wrote:
How do "social worker" and "lawyer" not require a degree?

I don't know about lawyer but in some countries in some circumstances social work can take the form of a traineeship which combines study and work.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

DC
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 2:00 pm

Best job I ever had - Rope Access work.

Most NT's that work in the area are a bit weird and on the fringe anyway so they tend to be more accepting of differences.

You work in small teams or even just pairs and people tend to form an opinion of you based around whether you are an incompetent idiot that will get them killed. This also means there is none of bullying/bitchiness/mind games etc that seem to plague every office.

Onshore work doesn't pay that well, but if learn to weld and do some short safety courses you can work offshore and earn some good money.