Page 553 of 789 [ 12616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 550, 551, 552, 553, 554, 555, 556 ... 789  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 12:44 am

Skibz888 wrote:
Back in my youth (like, eight years ago), I used to do shows with just lime green bike shorts and combat boots. One of perks of punk rock, I guess. Now I'm constantly involved with bands who wear elaborate costumes or extensive makeup and I'm left wondering where all the simplicity went.

maybe it is a cyclical fashion deal, where one era is spare clothing while the other era is fancy clothing, just like how suit jacket lapels and ties go from fat in economic lean times, to skinny in economic fat times. :idea:

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 12:56 am

auntblabby wrote:
Skibz888 wrote:
Back in my youth (like, eight years ago), I used to do shows with just lime green bike shorts and combat boots. One of perks of punk rock, I guess. Now I'm constantly involved with bands who wear elaborate costumes or extensive makeup and I'm left wondering where all the simplicity went.

maybe it is a cyclical fashion deal, where one era is spare clothing while the other era is fancy clothing, just like how suit jacket lapels and ties go from fat in economic lean times, to skinny in economic fat times. :idea:

I don't think punk rock has any more association with cultural trends, at least not since the 1980s ended and it stopped being culturally relevant. I believe there's been a stronger revival of true theatricality in music than there was in the '90s and '00s. We went through the era of grunge and alternative where schleppy guys would just wear jeans and t-shirts onstage but now there's a re-emphasis on eye-catching clothing and suits and big stage shows. In the LA underground scene where I typically dwell, all of the bands I work with (the oldest ones formed 1985, 1991 and 1994, the newest being 2012, 2013 and 2014) wear high costuming ranging from snappy novelty outfits to full-on character costumes and masks, and they seem to be getting more and more popular in recent years.

After the cynical alt-rock era and the aggressive frat boy nu-metal era, I like to believe that people are starting to remember and cherish the fact that live music can be fun and funny, like a mini stage play. What do you derive from listening to music that makes you sad? I say, come see a band of mutant chickens play punk rock and fight costumed monsters onstage and remember how life is worth living instead.

Nagalis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2015, 1:13 am

I'm the (sometimes) vocalist of a noisecore band.
Short, aggressive, and chaotic bursts of punk.
I've had the opportunity to see what the active punks are like around here.
And honestly, the most drastic exception to what you'd except was this one band's new frontman with his guyliner and styled hair. Funnily enough, he's supposed to be kind of a douche.

That said, I'll wear whatever I happen to be wearing that day.
Unless, of course, we have some genius idea that says otherwise.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 2:09 am

Even though all of the bands I run with play punk and/or metal, none of them are really involved with the general punk scene. LA seems to have its own little self-contained underground "comedy punk" scene which I guess was started back in the '80s by bands like Green Jello. Most of the bands I'm involved with, even ones who have some level of national recognition or popularity, often play with the usual groups of local novelty/comedy artists (or touring ones like Psychostick and Black Fag) instead of, like, big punk or ska shows at mainstream venues. Occasionally we've/they've done shows with bands like the Dickies or the Meatmen, but they're also technically "comedy" bands, so who knows?

I actually did go to a "normal" punk show about a week ago and it was exactly the same as every single OC punk show I've ever been to: 1/3 of the audience was over 40 (jeans, tattoos and workshirts, real Social Distortion-like) and 2/3 were kids dressed like stereotypical punks (colored mohawks, studs on their patch vests, etc.). All the local opening bands were boring, generic and humorless. It was funny, because the headlining act was in fact the Dickies, and they were the only ones there who were actually having *fun* and weren't concerned with image. That's what punk is really about, as far as I'm concerned.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 4:55 pm

This is me. I've posted here before, but it's been a while.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 5:37 pm

^^^^
great colors! :thumleft: I especially like how your hair and the highlights of your dress play off one another and the contrast with the black and the skin tones :thumright:

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2015, 11:33 pm

My dog and I.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 11:38 pm

SwissPagan wrote:
My dog and I.

charming :thumleft: welcome to wrong planet! :) let me guess, you are a lover of fine cuisine :chef:

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2015, 11:42 pm

yes, actually, I was teaching some of my Asian students how to bake Swiss bread that night.
(and they got to love my dog...)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 11:48 pm

your dog looks happy, he is even smiling [a dog smile, in any case]. do you teach language?

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2015, 11:53 pm

Just conversational english, not my major, I just tutor on the side, part of what keeps me sane at times...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 11:54 pm

SwissPagan wrote:
Just conversational english, not my major, I just tutor on the side, part of what keeps me sane at times...

if you don't mind, what is your major/profession?

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2015, 11:56 pm

Major? Cinemaphotography and post-production.
Profession? Photo Technician for a department store... sadly... :(

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 11:58 pm

SwissPagan wrote:
Major? Cinemaphotography and post-production. Profession? Photo Technician for a department store... sadly... :(

hey, at least it is a job, and jobs are an increasingly dear commodity these days, I have found- technology is stealing more and more jobs while creating less and less. what do you think about 48 frames per second? or 60? [forgot you were in Europe, that would be 48/50]

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2015, 12:01 am

well, I can't have independence with this job, and I know Mom is okay with me here and is probably coping better with me around, but the longer I stagnate the harder things will get...

I just haven't had a muse ever since Dad died... :(

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 12:03 am

SwissPagan wrote:
well, I can't have independence with this job, and I know Mom is okay with me here and is probably coping better with me around, but the longer I stagnate the harder things will get...

I just haven't had a muse ever since Dad died... :(

I knew somebody who went through all the trouble of getting a technical college degree only to find that upon graduation there were NO appropriate jobs in the whole country! more often than not one must be willing to pack up and relocate to find a job in one's career field.