Page 554 of 789 [ 12622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 551, 552, 553, 554, 555, 556, 557 ... 789  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 12:03 am

SwissPagan wrote:
well, I can't have independence with this job, and I know Mom is okay with me here and is probably coping better with me around, but the longer I stagnate the harder things will get...

I just haven't had a muse ever since Dad died... :(

I knew somebody who went through all the trouble of getting a technical college degree only to find that upon graduation there were NO appropriate jobs in the whole country! more often than not one must be willing to pack up and relocate to find a job in one's career field.

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2015, 12:16 am

That's, kind of what I am trying to do... I was trying to get into ESL, the JET program particularly, see if I could start over, learn some Japanese, perfect the other gifts and happy hobbies that I have been neglecting, be exposed to new things...

But... i have been rejected three times in a row and I am just starting to loose hope. I know my mother would be okay with me staying at the house, but I need to leave some time. we set a date that I highly doubt is going to happen, getting rejected even entry level and unskilled jobs tends to demoralize you. I am half tempted just to join the Marines since they cannot reject you. try to grab experience in a another field while there... my mother would kill me if she knew I was considering that, but you know... eventually the depression my do me in before the marines if can't fix my life soon...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 12:22 am

why marines rather than army/navy/air force?

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2015, 12:34 am

I only know people who went to marines. apparently you have to be smart for the marines, hence they are probably entrusting you will some form of skilled training. other guys have told me that you are treated like s**t n the army, and I have my father nausea so the navy is out of the question. And I heard you can serve your active duty in Okinawa...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 12:42 am

I was guessing you were from Switzerland? the u.s. marines won't send you where you want to go, necessarily- but where the marines NEED YOU TO BE. IOW it could be anywhere in the world where the USMC sends marines. Okinawa is just one of many places they could send you. it is likely with your college degree that you might be sent for officer training first.

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2015, 12:51 am

Well, I am from Switzerland, just naturalized. (we moved when I was 3, Dad got a job in the states)
Yeah, my friend in the marines told me about the officer training, they seemed to earn WAY more money than I am making now and at least have the chance to learn applicable skills unlike retail. I am aware Okinawa is not guaranteed, but my friend says it helps to volunteer for that theater when the need arises and hell, maybe if the BS with North Korea continues I will get my chance. my hope would be to get some sort of engineering or construction training if possible... maybe computers if that field isn't filled up. Again, JET would have been my ideal, but it have been rejected three times with applications that even former JETs seem to think should at least warrant an interview... maybe if I can learn electrical systems then try to finish a degree in that using the GI grant money.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 1:00 am

the navy has their Seabees for construction and the army has the engineer battalions. don't know what the marines' civil/mechanical/design engineering/construction regime is.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 1:04 am

Skibz888 wrote:
LA seems to have its own little self-contained underground "comedy punk" scene which I guess was started back in the '80s by bands like Green Jello.

Would the Aquabats be part of that group?

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2015, 1:20 am

According to my friend, The army is who they send in for occupations, which right now I think is the thing you would want to avoid right now. hey, another one of my marine friend was sent all over to work in water purification.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 1:26 am

^^^
what do you think about "spit and polish"?

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2015, 1:44 am

well, I think its bull compared to getting results, but I have proven to be better at spit and polish then my co-workers in the past...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 1:45 am

^^^
then the marines may have a spot just waiting for YOU to fill it then :)

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2015, 1:48 am

so you have been to the marines?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 1:51 am

army. my older brother was a marine during the Vietnam era. he is 10 times tougher than me yet he considered the marines to have put him through the wringer. it is no cakewalk.

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2015, 1:58 am

sounds like everything I have been told... but, i am not looking for a cake walk. I wanna get the hell out of my house and earn my independence and have another shot at schooling and learn a more applicable skill.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 2:09 am

I can dig where you're coming from :) the marines will definitely be an experience. if you wanna see a sample of what they have been known to do to trainees, watch "an officer and a gentleman."