Do you hear a voice in your head when you read?

Page 1 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

28 Jul 2011, 9:43 pm

I do think ADHDers can have an inner voice, developed to various degrees. If Barkley's theories about the development of executive functions are true, it's certainly possible for people with ADHD or autism to develop visualization thoroughly and little or no inner voice or vice versa. Given that each is a spectrum with different possible symptoms and severity, the possibilities are pretty endless.

Oh, and to add to my post above - I have very little actual inner voice or verbal working memory.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 9:54 pm

I hear the voices of the characters in some of the books that I like to read.

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 10:31 pm

This thread reminds me of a similar discussion we had here awhile back about Subvocalization

"Do you subvocalize while reading?"

I certainly do hear a voice in my head when I read. I am very much an auditory person and I have to be able to hear that voice. I can't read in a loud place, not necessarily because it's distracting, but because I am not as able to hear the internal speech.

David23
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jul 2011, 12:12 am

Yep, I have a voice in my head that "reads to me" as I read. Same deal when I'm thinking to myself, or thinking of what I should type (including as I type this) It's interesting because I can change it's tone, pitch and even who it sounds like as I please. It even sometimes changes to show how I interpret the writer would say it, for example it might speed up if the post seems stressed or hyper (usually if the post has no periods or only small sentences/fragments) I can also get it to be male or female, but it's usually male and sounds like me (I'm male BTW)... Does that make any sense? :?

Farms
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Jul 2011, 12:49 am

I am not dyslexic and I dont hear my words when I read too. I see pictures in the same way you do. And I too think it is because we think and see in the form of pictures.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 12:55 am

I hear my own inner voice reading but can't put pictures while reading.

sfreyj
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2011, 1:11 am

My subvocalisation disappears at higher reading speeds, such as when I'm reading a novel. I subvocalise when I have to read slower and concentrate on more technical things in non-fiction books. Sometimes if a novel is really immersive, I'll read it slower and hear internal voices more.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 1:58 am

I don't hear a voice reading the words when I read, and I have almost no inner voice.
I think it would slow my thoughts/reading down a lot if I did; my thoughts and reading are much, much faster than any speech I've ever heard.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 2:13 am

Yes I do. And it's what I imagine my voice to sound like. Although my actual voice and the voice that I imagine are totally different.

Amazing things happen when I try to read faster than at the speed I could hear myself talk in my head. All comprehension is lost indefinitely. It's like a mega-brainfart.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 2:19 am

no.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 2:27 am

I hear one too when I read. Sometimes it's my own or another voice. Same as when I type.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 2:54 am

English: Always hear a voice, without that I easily lose meaning and track of the words. Sure my spoken language isn't good, still I need to have at least a working idea of the accentuation and pronunciation. The voice is a standardized, idealized version of my own, I guess it's similar to what others have.

Native: I can think more in pictures and concepts. I also have difficulties with imagining the voices of the characters, I can imagine their look relatively easier. I'm not a fast reader though, I read rather slowly, perhaps a touch of inattentive ADD contributes to it.

kat_ross
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2011, 3:16 am

I always hear a voice in my head when I read and when I write, although it is not exactly my own voice. I can't imagine being able to read or write without this inner voice. I have to hear the words and see them at the same time and really concentrate on them to understand what I am reading. This is why sometimes when I am reading and my attention starts to drift I end up needing to read the same sentence 5 times over; my eyes are seeing the words, but if my mind is elsewhere and I am not fully focused on the inner voice, I will have no idea what I have just read.

Luci
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 3:19 am

kat_ross wrote:
I always hear a voice in my head when I read and when I write, although it is not exactly my own voice. I can't imagine being able to read or write without this inner voice. I have to hear the words and see them at the same time and really concentrate on them to understand what I am reading. This is why sometimes when I am reading and my attention starts to drift I end up needing to read the same sentence 5 times over; my eyes are seeing the words, but if my mind is elsewhere and I am not fully focused on the inner voice, I will have no idea what I have just read.

I can really relate. Also why I'm not a very fast reader...I am limited by how fast I'm able to imagine this voice speaking whilst still being decipherable.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 4:07 am

No inner voice, very fast reader, no dyslexia or ADHD.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 7:23 am

Words translate into imagery usually, I have no inner voice then.

I can turn on an inner voice, but then there's no imagery. I'd need to pause, go over the words in my mind again to get the mental video running.

If the text doesn't have relating imagery to begin with, I read with an inner voice.

I'd also re-read this post with an inner voice, because I need to translate what goes on in my head into words and have my inner voice say them to write them down anyway.

Reading without an inner voice = faster. Because then I don't need to wait up for words to be transferred into sounds.

As for the test, those are numbers! That won't necessarily work on people with issues with numbers. I test excellent at that because my spontaneous association with 5 is the word/spelling "five". Not the abstract meaning of 5.

And ah, I'm not dyslexic! Probably hyperlexic actually.