Do you hear a voice in your head when you read?

Page 2 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 7:23 am

Words translate into imagery usually, I have no inner voice then.

I can turn on an inner voice, but then there's no imagery. I'd need to pause, go over the words in my mind again to get the mental video running.

If the text doesn't have relating imagery to begin with, I read with an inner voice.

I'd also re-read this post with an inner voice, because I need to translate what goes on in my head into words and have my inner voice say them to write them down anyway.

Reading without an inner voice = faster. Because then I don't need to wait up for words to be transferred into sounds.

As for the test, those are numbers! That won't necessarily work on people with issues with numbers. I test excellent at that because my spontaneous association with 5 is the word/spelling "five". Not the abstract meaning of 5.

And ah, I'm not dyslexic! Probably hyperlexic actually.

K-R-X
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2011, 7:56 am

sfreyj wrote:
My subvocalisation disappears at higher reading speeds, such as when I'm reading a novel. I subvocalise when I have to read slower and concentrate on more technical things in non-fiction books.

^^ This. Any book or text that absorbs me, I'll process and move forward before words start to echo in my head. Books with lots of technical words, dates, etc, I have to 'read aloud in my mind' though in order to process the unfamiliar information. I enjoy the former more, as the latter feels slow and complicated.

With books/writing that I can move through without sub-vocalizing, it's like my brain makes a negative image of what I'm seeing. Where I can stop and still see the writing and the images I associate with the words swimming through my mind.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 8:48 am

Acacia wrote:
This thread reminds me of a similar discussion we had here awhile back about Subvocalization

"Do you subvocalize while reading?"

I certainly do hear a voice in my head when I read. I am very much an auditory person and I have to be able to hear that voice. I can't read in a loud place, not necessarily because it's distracting, but because I am not as able to hear the internal speech.

Thanks for sharing that. It's the same phenomenon as the article I posted earlier in the thread. Basically, it's for reading comprehension, because after we learn to read by age 8 or so we should be able to sight read and that's when the inner voice (subvocalization) comes in. Dyslexics never do (without intervention) learn to sight read words.

What I'm finding odd is that the poll on your thread is showing the opposite of most of these posts. I always assumed that most people on the spectrum thought in pictures, so I figured they'd read in them, too.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 8:55 am

K-R-X wrote:
sfreyj wrote:
My subvocalisation disappears at higher reading speeds, such as when I'm reading a novel. I subvocalise when I have to read slower and concentrate on more technical things in non-fiction books.

^^ This. Any book or text that absorbs me, I'll process and move forward before words start to echo in my head. Books with lots of technical words, dates, etc, I have to 'read aloud in my mind' though in order to process the unfamiliar information. I enjoy the former more, as the latter feels slow and complicated.

With books/writing that I can move through without sub-vocalizing, it's like my brain makes a negative image of what I'm seeing. Where I can stop and still see the writing and the images I associate with the words swimming through my mind.

Pretty much this, too. I am pretty sure I have dyscalculia (math dyslexia) and if I read something that requires numbers or math I will actually find myself vocalizing out loud sometimes. Like, a phone number or filling out a check. I have no images for the numbers and they tend to fall out of my head almost as soon as they go there, so I have to exert extra effort to keep them there by vocalizing them.

kat_ross
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2011, 3:22 pm

Wow, this topic is so fascinating to me! But I am still having a little bit of trouble imagining what it is like to read without an inner voice. For those who have said that they do not always have an inner voice when they read, perhaps you could help me out with this. Say for example that you read this word:

APPLE

You really don't hear the word "apple" inside your head? You are able to see an apple/understand the concept of apple without actually hearing the word? This is so neat! No wonder I can't read more than 10 pages at a time without getting exhausted.

Sometimes, if I am reading very rapidly, my inner voice even gets tripped up and starts stumbling over word pronunciation, just like what would happen if I was trying to speak too fast. I will actually get a strange sensation in my tongue muscles, like I am trying to "talk" too fast, even though I am not physically speaking. So I can never read faster than I would be able to speak.

Neat stuff.

Reindeer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2011, 3:25 pm

You should have that voice when you read or you wouldn't understand what you read.

Every one has it, except if you are missing that part or it is dysfunctional.

Sources: My old biology teacher

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 3:38 pm

I'm not sure. I probably do, but once I'm absorbed in reading, I don't notice any voices anymore.

K-R-X
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2011, 3:44 pm

Reindeer wrote:
You should have that voice when you read or you wouldn't understand what you read.

When you see a picture of an apple, do you say "apple" in your head?

Sometimes, when I go to say a word, I have to think of how it looks written in order to pronounce it. Names for example (and I often mispronounce them for months because there is such a difference from the spelling).

Saying that you have to hear a word in order to understand its meaning when written is like saying you have to imagine a word written in order to understand its meaning when spoken...

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 4:22 pm

i do have a voice in my head when i am reading. on the forums, different users have slightly different voices in my mind once they become familiar to me. i suppose that is why i am surprised when i hear what people actually sound like.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 5:26 pm

kat_ross wrote:
Say for example that you read this word:

APPLE

I see an apple.

The image that appears is very concrete (but it's the image of a card with a drawn picture of an apple, so it's not the most realistic apple), but it also neatly leads to the concept of apple/I know it represents it.

I can make my inner voice say apple, but then I just hear the sounds that make up apple and only think of the meaning of apple after that.

I wonder if I could read words like that and think of the meaning spontaneously without getting my mind to work.

But visuals... it does get more complicated with imagery to such words as "without" or "together". I think I think of colours with these and there's a sensation, because without is like dragging away and together feels both nice and pushy.

"Sunny" is just that, sunny translates into an image though just as much into a sensation, "tv programs" are most definitely an image.

"Beautiful" and "handsome" are words that have a relation, but one is an image and the other is blur/colour for me. Actions translate into images, from what I can tell. Some of the things I visualise are abstract/associative.

Other are just pretty... odd associations from things I've seen that merely represent an aspect or something I experienced and connected strongly to the word. Feels a lot as if my mind tries to fill in holes (too abstract for an immediate visual representation) with anything that might be related. Especially with words such as "ADHD" or "autism". I get a sensation from them, but I don't know how much that is related to this topic anyway. What doesn't translate into a visual or is incomplete makes me feel it.

Ahh, it just occurred to me that "forum" creates something similar to "together". That's probably why I think forums are difficult.

"Hungry" I have no idea of the image right now, but I feel hungry now. I guess it evokes the memory of a sensation and I realise I'm very opposed to how it makes my stomach feel now. Urgh.

Reindeer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2011, 5:41 pm

K-R-X wrote:
Reindeer wrote:

When you see a picture of an apple, do you say "apple" in your head?

Sometimes, when I go to say a word, I have to think of how it looks written in order to pronounce it. Names for example (and I often mispronounce them for months because there is such a difference from the spelling).

Saying that you have to hear a word in order to understand its meaning when written is like saying you have to imagine a word written in order to understand its meaning when spoken...

Actually when I see a picture of an apple I see the picture of an apple in my head...
When I read I see pictures and hear a voice at the same time.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 6:04 pm

kat_ross wrote:
Wow, this topic is so fascinating to me! But I am still having a little bit of trouble imagining what it is like to read without an inner voice. For those who have said that they do not always have an inner voice when they read, perhaps you could help me out with this. Say for example that you read this word:

APPLE

You really don't hear the word "apple" inside your head? You are able to see an apple/understand the concept of apple without actually hearing the word? This is so neat! No wonder I can't read more than 10 pages at a time without getting exhausted.

Sometimes, if I am reading very rapidly, my inner voice even gets tripped up and starts stumbling over word pronunciation, just like what would happen if I was trying to speak too fast. I will actually get a strange sensation in my tongue muscles, like I am trying to "talk" too fast, even though I am not physically speaking. So I can never read faster than I would be able to speak.

Neat stuff.

That's kinda what I was saying about reading too fast.

I tried reading your post without hearing the words in my head, and it's impossible. Totally 100% impossible. I see words, and I then immediately say them to myself. Then I use that sound to determine the meaning of the sentence (using my imagination to display pictures of what is happening).

This is really kinda surprising to me, because I think primarily in pictures.

Maybe I can explain this a little bit better. When I see the symbols that make up the word "APPLE," I immediately recognize the symbols as the sound of "apple" spoken in my own voice. I then hear myself say that, and a picture of an apple pops into my mind. All of this happens on a subconscious level.

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 6:24 pm

There is a voice, but most of the time it's inaudible. I'm aware that it's there, and if I slow my reading down there may be a few ghostly whispers of speech I "hear," but most of the time I'm reading too fast for audible speech, and it's just kind of a tickle.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 6:57 pm

Fatal-Noogie wrote:
I "hear" a voice. It's pretty non-descript from an audio standpoint. You might say it sounds like how I imagine my own voice sounds.

I wasn't sure how to explain it, but Fatal-Noogie does a pretty good job at saying what I wanted to say as well.

I am not hearing a voice per se, but I read along with the words and it is my own inner voice that reads along with it. I am still explaining it poorly. I like his description more!

Anyway, I am also visual, so I simultaneously translate everything into pictures as well.

I have neither dyslexia or ADHD.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

kat_ross
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jul 2011, 2:53 am

Thanks for the responses!

SammichEater, it sounds like you and I have very similar ways of thinking. I think that we need that "auditory" input in order to translate a word on a page into a picture in the back of our minds. You described yourself as someone who thinks in pictures, so it makes sense that your brain would take this extra step needed to translate the words into pictures. When I am simply looking at a picture, or looking around a room, I don't need to use any type of inner voice to tell myself what the items are that I am looking at (ex: if an apple is sitting on my desk, I would not have to say "apple" to myself to know what it was). But if I see a written word, I HAVE to say the word to myself (like you were saying, it is 100% impossible not to say the word), and then I see the picture.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 4:15 am

I hear a voice in my head when I read.