Do you hear a voice in your head when you read?

Page 4 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

VioletShadows
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Sep 2014, 5:03 am

No, not really. I come up with more voices when I'm writing than reading. I speed read a little bit, too, not reading every word, just skimming through. That probably has something to do with it, I probably would have a voice if I actually concentrated on all the words!

Aspie and proud- most of the time.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 4:31 pm

The voice I hear when I read is the same one that narrates my thoughts. It's my inner dialogue. It can change if I start to enter the hypnagogic state.

Normally, like when I'm reading, thinking or writing this post, it is like it's expected to be (by the majority of the population). It's not the same as hearing an external sound. It's not a hallucination. Also it's the same voice the whole way through.

I've been paying attention to the ways in which my inner dialogue changes as I zone out and enter a hypnagogic/dissociative state due to me being sleepy.

As I zone out my inner dialogue changes but I also become less and less aware of it. It becomes harder to focus on it or anything else for that matter so I don't always remember everything that I say in my head/inner dialogue.

One thing can happen is that as I zone out my inner dialogue starts going on it's own without me directing it. I'm not in control of my inner dialogue anymore. I might not even notice this until I wake up a bit and I remember it happening.

Another thing that can happen is that my inner dialogue can be said in a different voice than normal. A little while ago while I was starting to fall asleep on the bus it sounded like my inner voice was that of a stereotypically sounding black man. Normally there is no accent but in the hynagogic state there can be an accent that isn't mine.

On one rare occasion I got so deep into the hypnagogic state that my inner dialogue became indistinguishable from external dialogue. It sounded just like me talking out loud even though I was only subvocalizing. I also wasn't consciously directing it. I was so zoned out that I couldn't pay conscious attention to it but when I woke up a bit I heard the last few words before I fully returned to the waking state. I remembered afterwards that my inner dialogue which sounded just like outer dialogue was also in the voice of a man and a woman alternating. It wasn't in the usual tone of voice that I consider my own.

So maybe the inner dialogue that most people have changes as their mental state changes. It does for me and since hypnagogia is a normal sleep phenomenon I expect it does for most people.

NothingToSeeHere
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Sep 2014, 4:40 am

I hear a voice. I'm also dyslexic (diagnosed aged 7 and again when I started uni at 19) :) I actually have an above average reading speed. I have thought in the past that I could probably read faster if I didn't have that internal voice, as I can only mentally speak so fast. Also, when I have moments of struggling with reading, I know what I know what the words say but my mental voice can't seem to say it right (haha that makes no sense, true though :p ). I also clearly visualise what I read, that doesn't cause any problems though.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 1:08 am

i hear a whispery voice sorta like those drastically speeded up ads on coasttocoastAM or disclaimers at the end of medical product commercials.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 8:50 am

serenity wrote:
I came across this article that talks about dyslexics not hearing an inner voice when they read, or at all really. I don't either, and I know I'm not dyslexic. I've always been a strong reader. I'm wondering if it's more to do with thinking in pictures. I don't think that I ever really hear my voice in my head, but rather I have a quick succession of pictures as I think thoughts. If that makes any sense. lol
I hear a voice in my head when I read and write, I also see pictures and I am mildly dyslexic.

Wreck It Ralph

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 9:59 am

Mine, yeah.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 10:17 am

often, when i'm reading something written by someone i know, i'll read it in their voice. usually i make up a voice in my head for those i don't know, but there's not much variety. the most common one is a moderately fast, whispery androgynous voice with flapped 'r's.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

TheWrithing
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Sep 2014, 1:40 am

I am not exactly sure how unique this is yet my inner voice tends to change, with which narrates my reading. For instance, if I have a particular show I prefer and have watched recently, my inner voice will mimic it if I read shortly afterward. I am not certain if this is something which I have subconsciously trained myself to do or not, yet it happens frequently enough.