Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 11:32 am

I might be just me who feels like this, but when people whisper in that paranoied way, it's really annoying! Like when I go to my friend's house, and she talks about the job centre, she always really whispers the word ''job centre'', as though she thinks everyone's going to hear her saying it, even though we're alone in a house and the neighbours aren't home and nobody can hear you if they're walking past unless you shout at the top of your voice.

That's the same with anyone - it annoys me when they whisper, even though nobody's around to hear, and anyone who is around won't hear anyway at somebody who is speaking at normal tone inside their own house. I understand it when people whisper personal things in the street or when they're somewhere around other people, but not when they're somewhere where people outside aren't likely to hear (unless the windows are wide open).

It's probably just me and my ''abstract thinking'' or ''pet peeve issues'', but I was wondering if anyone else gets irritated when people whisper for no reason. I know sometimes it can be a voice expression thing related to what they're saying, but it still seems like they're thinking that everyone can hear them, even though they can't.

And then they say it's me who's the paranoied one! :roll:

oddness
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Aug 2011, 11:55 am

My mother and sister often carry out whole conversations about other people in a whisper. If I am part of the conversation I often have to say can you speak up I cant hear you and the person you are talking about is 7 km away so they'll not hear you. Yes it gets on my nerves especially wheen it means I cant hear what they are saying.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 12:04 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14[/youtube]

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 12:07 pm

No, but it really bothers me when people are whispering and a bit miffed at the same time, Like, this teacher last year, I was talking to him in the hall and there was silent reading going on in a few classrooms. I said something that I guess made him annoyed, and he was whispering, I found the sound very annoying.

I also prefer not to whisper myself, I find it kind of tricky.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

01 Aug 2011, 12:27 pm

I hate whispering. It can't be said more plainly than that. :|

Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2011, 12:48 pm

I have good ears (Clark Kent) so it doesn't really bother me...except I am also paranoid so I try to ignore it as much as possible when I can otherwise I would constantly be wondering lol

Worse than whispering for me is when someone is muttering, because the sound is not only low but distorted...it is hard enough to focus on one particular thing but when it is distorted it becomes impossible.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 12:55 pm

Whispering actualy hurts my ears.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 1:54 pm

Yes. It's worse than normal volume conversations.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 4:36 pm

I also hate it when people whisper. What makes it even more annoying is when they whisper in my presence after I do something and I know they're talking about me.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

01 Aug 2011, 4:46 pm

I HATE when ppl whisper in my ear...omg, the feeling of their breath and the tone on voice really anoy my sensory problems..if anyone tries to whisper in my ear, I imedately fight them off like an attacker.

DragonKazooie89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2011, 6:15 pm

Definitely! I hated it so much in school, especially during silent reading because of students near me always having to whisper to one another. I have to drown it out by either reading quietly aloud to myself or covering my ears.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

01 Aug 2011, 8:32 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
Whispering actualy hurts my ears.

This, kind of. The sound grates on my nervous system.