Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 7:32 am

Has anyone taken Valium and Percocet combined? I have a medical procedure this Friday that will be done in the office. The doctor told me to take Valium 2mg, and Percocet 5mg one hour prior to procedure. If that isn't enough, taken 1 more of each medication 30 min prior to procedure. Will this make me at least semi sedated? I understand that women going through C sections take Percocet. I did take Percocet after my wisdom teeth was taken out, but Percocet didn't make me drowsy. Maybe the Valium will make me more sleepy?

Also is the the norm for doctors to prescribe these two drugs for anxiety before seeing a doctor? I know some people are afraid of dentists. I'm completely fine with them and don't need medications to see a dentist.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 7:44 am

Just take both of them as prescribed if you feel anxious or nervous. Take more until you no longer feel anxious or nervous. They may make you feel drowsy, or merely very relaxed.

Percs are a narcotic painkiller. Valium is a tranquilizer. I've taken both together before, but since I have a very high tolerance I would have to take four times more (at least) than your doctor advised you to, to have any effect on me. But since drug tolerances are very individual, you should start with the lowest dose and only increase it if you feel the lower dose isn't working.

Give it about an hour for the meds to kick in and start working, before the procedure: not a half hour before as your doctor said, but closer to an hour. So you'd need to take your first dose about two hours before, so that you still had an hour left to take the larger dose if you needed it. The effects of these meds last for several hours, so don't worry about them wearing off for quite a while.

MommyJones
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 1:20 pm

Valium is also prescribed as an anti anxiety. I was given that when I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer and was told to take that prior to going to the hospital for surgery. The first time they gave me a lot of narcotics because I was moving around (I was puking the whole way home, that's how I found out) so I don't think a little percocet will hurt you. Those are very low doses.

Daryl_Blonder
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2011, 11:23 pm

Valium is extremely sedating. It is also (supposedly) extremely dangerous, and no doctor that I've met within the past couple years will even consider prescribing it, for any reason.

A pharmacist once dispensed it to me by mistake, and I became quasi-addicted to it, because the sedation was so effective and my sleep issues are a tough nut to crack. I was buying it off a co-worker for a while.

Despite all this negative publicity, Valium is still on the World Health Organization's "essential drugs list".

*********************************************************************************************************************

Check out my IMDB page!

MommyJones
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 6:59 am

Daryl_Blonder wrote:
Valium is extremely sedating. It is also (supposedly) extremely dangerous, and no doctor that I've met within the past couple years will even consider prescribing it, for any reason.

A pharmacist once dispensed it to me by mistake, and I became quasi-addicted to it, because the sedation was so effective and my sleep issues are a tough nut to crack. I was buying it off a co-worker for a while.

Despite all this negative publicity, Valium is still on the World Health Organization's "essential drugs list".

*********************************************************************************************************************

Check out my IMDB page!

I've heard different. When they gave it to me I researched it and it wasn't that bad at the dose that I was prescribed. You can become physically addicted, but you have to take a lot of it for a long time for that to happen. I was given 5mg and that doesn't make me feel anything, but it does relax me enough to take things more in stride but I don't take it often. I was astonished to find that some doctors prescribe up to 10mg every 4 hours for anxiety. Now THAT's a lot of valium 8O

Daryl_Blonder
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Aug 2011, 11:34 am

MommyJones wrote:
Daryl_Blonder wrote:

Check out my IMDB page!

I've heard different. When they gave it to me I researched it and it wasn't that bad at the dose that I was prescribed. You can become physically addicted, but you have to take a lot of it for a long time for that to happen. I was given 5mg and that doesn't make me feel anything, but it does relax me enough to take things more in stride but I don't take it often. I was astonished to find that some doctors prescribe up to 10mg every 4 hours for anxiety. Now THAT's a lot of valium 8O

I was given the green 10 mg tablets, which is a lot.

But still, most doctors won't prescribe it anymore at all. It is one of the older benzos, along with Xanax, that is considered "obsolete." For better or for worse, these drugs are rapidly going the way of the barbiturates.

********************************************************************************************************************

Check out my IMDB page!

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 12:21 pm

Well the procedure went well. The combinations of the two medications helped me a lot. About an hour after procedure I was so tired and groggy. I took two of each medications. I had a 10am procedure and probably around 5pm the symptoms went away.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

LornaDoone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Aug 2011, 12:59 am

Valium is most certainly still prescribed, but definately not as much as say 20 years ago. Some people are quite resistant to some of the newer drugs and going old school has proven helpful for many.