Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ACerulean
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Aug 2011, 8:30 pm

Please allow me to begin by saying that I really hate to falling into the cliche of asking the community if my symptoms seem like Asperger's Syndrome and I really hate to be bothering you all with my concerns. I have already mentioned my concerns to my psychologist and I am waiting to see if he will arrange for me to undergo Autism/Asperger's testing. However I am feeling rather restless and I thought I could get some idea of what to make of my situation if I asked around the forums. I will begin with the necessary background info. I am a seventeen year old male who has been diagnosed with moderate depression and OCD. I cannot fill in info about my childhood for the most part because I find I have large gaps in my long term memory. I will list all of my symptoms below.
- I do not have an active craving for social interaction and friendship
- I have difficulty initiating and maintaining a conversation
- I have difficulty befriending others
- I often cease to stay in touch with friends if I'm not in constant contact
- I don't always interpret emotions correctly
- I have some obsessions(Not to the point that I forget about life around me)
- I find myself oftentimes tapping my fingers together or on surfaces and manipulating my beard, what there is of it, with my fingers
- I do not like activities that involve large numbers of people or loud noises(music, talking, etc.)
- I have frequent fits of rage
There is very likely more to list, but this is what I could think of.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 8:42 pm

These symptoms are not ones that automatically shout ASPERGERS. They CAN be related to Aspergers....they can also be related to other things as well. Unfortunately, you MUST go by how you were when you were a young child because Aspergers is a developmental disorder that MUST be present in childhood. If not present in childhood, then you do not have it. If you don't remember, perhaps you can discuss it with parents, grandparents, aunts, or uncles, or other possible guardians--someone who knows what you were like as a child.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

ACerulean

03 Aug 2011, 9:01 pm

If it helps any, I know that I've been this way as far back as third grade and I have reason to believe I was this way as far back as kindergarten and maybe preschool. I also know that my Mom has told me from time to time that I was more solitary in preschool and she had to push me to get me to interact with the other children.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 9:07 pm

These symptoms are all things that can be found in Aspergers, but like I said, they are also find in certain other disorders as well (just different reasons for similar symptoms). If the symptoms are causing you any problems in your life, you should see a professional and get a diagnosis (whether AS or something else). They will want to interview your mother to discuss what you were like as a baby, toddler, and child.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)