Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 3:12 pm

Words are words to me, its all in how they are used........as for vulgar language I have to say I use it a lot, except around some relatives like my mom or grandparents though I probably slip up sometimes. But yeah mostly I use it to express frustration/pain, empathize a point, make jokes or express enjoyment.

For instance I listen to a lot of heavy metal and you don't get back from a metal concert and say 'that was fun' you get back from a metal concert and say 'that was f***ing brutal!' or something along those lines. Then one time when I was like 15 or 16 me, my siblings and my mom where walking around downtown one day and something must have stung me like a wasp or something but anyways there was a sudden stabbing pain...and I said something vulgar can't remember what and my mom yelled at me, even after I tried explaining I wasn't trying to say it it just startled me and hurt so I couldn't help it which was the truth.

Pffft as if she doesn't shout vulgarities if something startles her :roll:

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 3:31 pm

FearOfMusic wrote:
I notice that most people tend to use sort on inconsequential expletives in casual conversation. Things like "We have been waiting a damn long time" instead of just "We have been waiting a very long time". I rarely do this sort of thing and when I do it feels and sounds very forced. Whenever I swear I feel like I am breaking a rule. Even my parents do this sort of thing in casual conversation (though they really probably only started doing that since I graduated high school). I just feel very uneasy about casual swearing even though everyone around me see to be comfortable with the idea.

The only times I like to use a swear words is if I think it will be useful to the other person, and even then they aren't really the words the reflect how I feel. Lots of people seem to use swear words rather frequently when they are angry... but even when I am angry I don't naturally jump to these kinds of words.

I've been trying to use them a little bit more in conversation... it isn't too difficult with online chat, but in face-to-face conversation I still don't feel like I know when it is appropriate to use them. I worry that I might come off as too rigid or child-like because I don't use some of these words casually. Or if I start using them more I might seem more rude/arrogant. Anyone else seem to have problems using swear words in casual conversation?

There is absolutely no need to practice swearing or force it. Nobody will really notice if you don't - until you do, when it will probably be really impressive. I still remember this one guy at work who never swore, nobody ever noticed until the day he roared the f-word, and it was like Zeus said it or something, it was powerful. In slow motion it's not hard to imagine actually seeing the impact on people's faces as if it were a physical shock wave.

I don't really mind when people swear. I fall into the habit sometimes (not really too bad or too often), its no big deal but I don't regard it as anything desirable. The thing for me is that it seems really lazy to use in any sort of regular way. There's always some more creative way to say the same thing and it usually sounds much better when you don't fall back on using swears in place of real adjectives, or other swearing habits like that. It really is just a shortcut and lazy way of speaking.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 4:52 pm

Ever heard the phrase "cuss like a longshoreman?"

Well I come from a long line of longshoremen.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 1:12 pm

I often use swear words in casual conversations. Where I come from, ''damn'' isn't really a swear word. I used to say it as a kid and never get told off, and even the teachers at primary school used to say it sometimes. But sometimes I say ''f**k sake'' and I use the word ''s**t'' a lot too.

Some people I know hate swearing. I've said ''bastard'' before and the person I was talking to looked like she didn't want me to say it, yet other people who I talk to don't take no notice.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 12:53 am

I used to never swear. Then I heard my grandmother using the f word, and it didn't matter anymore.

Now I swear when something bothers me, I use rather mild words but still~

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 12:11 pm

I don't really like swearing, I was raised in a household where swearing was seen as an extremely negative thing so I don't really swear as an adult and I don't find it professional to swear either but each to their own I guess.