Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MoonMetropolis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2011, 3:36 am

I swear constantly online - usually in a very vicious manner - but I hardly do in real life. In fact, I hardly talk at all in real life.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2011, 12:05 pm

I don't swear. I don't like it.
If you don't like it, there's no need to force yourself to swear. It'll probably sound awkward if you force yourself anyway.
I certainly would have problems if I tried because I'd have to think about their meanings and effects carefully since I don't use them myself, don't practice their use.
I remember that swear-word-usage started in elemantary school, I mean that's where I remember hearing them for the first time. So why should you sound child-like if you don't use them? Maybe rigid but I've never thought about how not swearing in casual conversations (or otherwise) sounded to others.

Greatsharkbite
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 7:11 pm

I used to be the same. When I was younger, 8 years old me and my cousin went to summer camp and cussed to act tough because some of the kids there were rude and annoying.

I actually ratted myself out to my mom a year later.

I don't ever cuss in front of my mom, or people I was raised around.. but in front of peers, or my girlfriend I go all out. My girlfriend actually says i'm the reason she cusses now (probably not totally true.. but I probably did make it worse).

Best way to get out of a habit--is too completely go for it.. cuss up a storm, cuss about traffic, school, just go for it.

Its a good way to break our self brain-washing.

White-Rose-Tree
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Aug 2011, 6:57 am

Mayel wrote:
I remember that swear-word-usage started in elemantary school, I mean that's where I remember hearing them for the first time. So why should you sound child-like if you don't use them? Maybe rigid but I've never thought about how not swearing in casual conversations (or otherwise) sounded to others.

I didn't think about it either, my friends (in college) pointed it out to me :D

It's probably one of those things that many children see as a "grown-up" thing and try to start when they want to sound grown-up. So, not bothering to do so would be percieved as childish, if you grow to adulthood and still don't use them.

magicbus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Aug 2011, 8:55 am

I rarely swear online. I tend to be very formal online so as to create a good impression.

In person, I am extremely vulgar. I have a bad temper, plus the other kids would think I'm a prude and tease me. Swears are just words to me, and I don't get offended by them because they don't mean much to me.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2011, 9:00 am

White-Rose-Tree wrote:

It's probably one of those things that many children see as a "grown-up" thing and try to start when they want to sound grown-up. So, not bothering to do so would be percieved as childish, if you grow to adulthood and still don't use them.

Intresting. That makes sense now. :)

LuckyLeft
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Aug 2011, 2:13 pm

sgrannel wrote:
I sometimes swear randomly when I'm alone. It's maybe a tic and it's something I have to keep under control when I'm around other people. I don't recommend swearing around strangers. You can't tell how they'll respond and they may think very negatively of you for doing it. You're unlikely to be faulted for not doing it.

This.

I want to stop altogether, because there was a period of time where it was virtually impossible (People use to try and bet if I'd cuss in a situation they would try to put me in, and they never won those bets), but started because I was told I was 'adapting'. But since I've realized recently I've always had the ASD, and it was never 'cured' like others may thought it was when I was a child.

Scandium
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Orange County, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Cluster

09 Aug 2011, 2:56 pm

I never swear. And I hate it when people do. I can see how it can be "funny" in some situations, but I think it's very immature.

My parents are starting to do it now. D:

rexirodkc
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Aug 2011, 3:51 pm

I have no issues with swearing in the privacy of my own room; outside of that, I don't do it. I guess, like someone else had mentioned, that it would sound too forced/unnatural so I avoid using them when talking to other people. Really I have anxiety about saying them around people like I still live with my mother and will get scolded for doing it. :oops:

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 3:57 pm

Regrettably, I've a potty mouth.

I'm reasonably good at reigning it in due to situation as long as I'm not sleepy [1] or something.

It's like throwing knives... I don't play with them in front of children [2], or near childrens' settings. At home or in appropriate facilities around other adults, preferably adults doing as I am doing... *swoosh* *thunk*.

Since I've moved, there are fewer sharp objects in my life. I left my babies across the sea... :cry:

[1] ...well, I don't play with knives when sleepy.

[2] As with swearing, this goes up to age 20 for me in a case like this.

Chibs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Aug 2011, 7:55 pm

Artros wrote:
I mostly swear as an initial reaction to a screw-up or when I'm ranting at myself. I'm really bad at swearing at other people.

Pretty much how I feel. Other than "mild" words like "crap" and "hell", I often feel uncomfortable swearing when talking to others, even if they swear all the time themselves.
When by myself, however, I often swear pretty badly as a reaction to something bad happening(computer crashing, ect.)

White-Rose-Tree

10 Aug 2011, 8:18 am

Chibs wrote:
Artros wrote:
When by myself, however, I often swear pretty badly as a reaction to something bad happening(computer crashing, ect.)

Okay, maybe I do, a little. But I tend to curse in the style of whatever I've read, so nobody else considers it as such. My computer will freeze and I'll yell something like "Whoreson widget! A pox on your hard drive!" which is technically swearing. But I don't do that at people, I don't talk at people the way I do in my head, because they don't understand what I'm saying.

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 11:36 am

White-Rose-Tree wrote:
Okay, maybe I do, a little. But I tend to curse in the style of whatever I've read, so nobody else considers it as such. My computer will freeze and I'll yell something like "Whoreson widget! A pox on your hard drive!" which is technically swearing. But I don't do that at people, I don't talk at people the way I do in my head, because they don't understand what I'm saying.

Hehehe. I personally like silly swear words like "Holy guacamole" and such. Other people think this is weird.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 9:13 pm

I've found that it helps to clarify that I'm pissed off. My facial expressions don't always give it away, so inserting an F word here and there helps to convey the meaning that I mean business.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 6:00 am

On second thought, people are assh0les. Swear away. They deserve it.

Glitch2028
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Aug 2011, 4:16 pm

I find imprecations unnecessary, mostly. I don't use them unless I'm so incensed I've lost all inhibition, and what was once overly- pedantic, becomes brutish, acrid and laden with random pejoratives...but this is hardly casual, nor is it regular, nor is it something I do publicly... and its worth noting that whether casual or acasual, I still sound awkward because I tend toward formulaic speech ninety-eight percent of the time, and I liken casual swearing an acquired vernacular (i.e., if you aren't intimately familiar with it, it generally sounds foreign and lacks fluidity... or at least that's been my own personal experience.) In high school, I briefly tried emulating the speech patterns of my peers, the colloquialisms, the swearing... it didn't go over too well. I still tended to enunciate things too impeccably, which made me appear even stranger than I might had I just used euphemisms like "darn" or "drat". I've all but given up on swearing conversationally for the most part. I take a lot of my speech patterns from books (because I'm alone too much, with books) and people can always tell I'm outside my realm of familiarity when I try to incorporate the conventions