Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

FearOfMusic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 10:59 am

I notice that most people tend to use sort on inconsequential expletives in casual conversation. Things like "We have been waiting a damn long time" instead of just "We have been waiting a very long time". I rarely do this sort of thing and when I do it feels and sounds very forced. Whenever I swear I feel like I am breaking a rule. Even my parents do this sort of thing in casual conversation (though they really probably only started doing that since I graduated high school). I just feel very uneasy about casual swearing even though everyone around me see to be comfortable with the idea.

The only times I like to use a swear words is if I think it will be useful to the other person, and even then they aren't really the words the reflect how I feel. Lots of people seem to use swear words rather frequently when they are angry... but even when I am angry I don't naturally jump to these kinds of words.

I've been trying to use them a little bit more in conversation... it isn't too difficult with online chat, but in face-to-face conversation I still don't feel like I know when it is appropriate to use them. I worry that I might come off as too rigid or child-like because I don't use some of these words casually. Or if I start using them more I might seem more rude/arrogant. Anyone else seem to have problems using swear words in casual conversation?

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2011, 11:13 am

I have no problem using it in casual conversation when i want to, but the thing is i ususally dont want to, if i swear while conversing its because someone made me extremely mad and i feel like punching someone, I never like it when people casually swear when you dont need to, it always makes them come across to me as someone who is a little uncouth.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 11:19 am

I sometimes swear randomly when I'm alone. It's maybe a tic and it's something I have to keep under control when I'm around other people. I don't recommend swearing around strangers. You can't tell how they'll respond and they may think very negatively of you for doing it. You're unlikely to be faulted for not doing it.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 11:54 am

If you don't feel good about using them in conversations, then don't.

I used to swear when I was younger when I got mad, but then I didn't like talking that way and I got rid of the habit, gald I did.

White-Rose-Tree
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Aug 2011, 12:42 pm

I don't swear - never have, don't see the point. I've managed to alter my vocabulary to include the casual usages of words such as "like" and "cool" and sometimes I say "Dang it." But that's about it for the slang I can work in naturally.

Yes, it probably makes me appear childish (though a sci-fi/fantasy fan with pigtails appears childish anyway!) and "goody-goody" as well. But, if I did start, it would sound forced, unnatural, and rude... so it just depends. Do you want to talk normally and sound childish or talk like other people and sound unnatural? As I said, in my case it's hopeless anyway so I don't bother :roll:

Find some good writers to hang out with, they'll like you more because you talk well.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 12:52 pm

I 99% of the time only swear in writing. Can count on two hands and a foot the times I've sworn in real life. Same as you, never liked it, seems inarticulate is the very best thing I can say about it. But sometimes words don't suffice and when I write I have no filter so the literary equivalent of those crude vocalizations escape.

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 1:00 pm

purchase wrote:
I 99% of the time only swear in writing. Can count on two hands and a foot the times I've sworn in real life. Same as you, never liked it, seems inarticulate is the very best thing I can say about it. But sometimes words don't suffice and when I write I have no filter so the literary equivalent of those crude vocalizations escape.

This is me aswell.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 5:35 pm

Words are really just words to me.......but yeah I definatly use vulgar language quite a lot, I try not to if I am around people who may get offended though. But yes if I am angry I may use some vulgar language but a lot of times its a positive reaction like if I saw that was 'F**king Awesome!' but yeah if you are uncomfortable swearing you certainly don't have to.....its not nessisary for conversation more of a habit if anything.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 5:39 pm

I grew up around people who cursed too much, so I naturally curse too much as well. I don't even realize I'm doing it. I'm certainly not like those people who curse a lot because they think it makes them cool (mostly teenagers). It's just that curse words are like any other word to me. I sometimes joke that I use the F word as a preposition, and I'm only exaggerating a little.

kraelik
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2011, 5:42 pm

Jory wrote:
I sometimes joke that I use the F word as a preposition, and I'm only exaggerating a little.

^ this!

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 5:43 pm

There is no need to use profanity.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 6:00 pm

I try to gear my communication to the context. There's a lot of cussin' in Texas.

I come bearing links. We swear for pain relief. Do surgeons swear more than non-surgeons? I can tell you from personal experience that lawyers can turn your hair blue in private, but keep it tight in court. If you can't turn it on and off at will, don't start.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 6:20 pm

I swear a LOT - I did in middle school and it seems since regressing that I've gone back to doing it again - it's a nervous thing, I find the more passionate I am about what I'm saying or the more focus is upon me the more I swear, but the swearing often sounds out-of-place because I'm saying the 'F' word for every other word...it sounds like I'm trying to pack as many 'F' words into a sentence as possible. I don't think swearing is 'bad language' and it has it's place, but when used as often as I use it then it sounds childish and vulgar.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 6:43 pm

I only swear occasionally. When it's necessary.

Bloodheart wrote:
...it sounds like I'm trying to pack as many 'F' words into a sentence as possible.

Yeah, I don't do that. :lol:

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 2:29 am

I mostly swear as an initial reaction to a screw-up or when I'm ranting at myself. I'm really bad at swearing at other people.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

MoonMetropolis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2011, 3:36 am

I swear constantly online - usually in a very vicious manner - but I hardly do in real life. In fact, I hardly talk at all in real life.