ADHD and autism - similarities and differences

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

07 Aug 2011, 3:57 pm

Here's an abstract from: http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/se ... o=EJ851641

Quote:
It is unknown whether the Autism-spectrum quotient (AQ) can discriminate between Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) with or without comorbid Substance Use Disorder (SUD). ANOVA's were used to analyse the mean AQ (sub)scores of 129 adults with ASD or ADHD. We applied receiver operating characteristic (ROC) computations to assess discriminant power. All but one of the mean AQ (sub)scores were significantly higher for adults with ASD compared to those with ADHD. The SUD status in general was not significantly associated with AQ (sub)scores. On the Social Skills subscale patients with ASD and comorbid SUD showed less impairment than those without SUD. The cut-off score 26 yielded 73% correct classifications. The clinical use of the AQ in differentiating between ASD and ADHD is limited.

And also verdandi messaged me sometime back with a quote from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8655658,

Quote:
In this paper, we consider the domain of executive functions (EFs) and their possible role in developmental psychopathologies. We first consider general theoretical and measurement issues involved in studying EFs and then review studies of EFs in four developmental psychopathologies: attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), conduct disorder (CD), autism, and Tourette syndrome (TS). Our review reveals that EF deficits are consistently found in both ADHD and autism but not in CD (without ADHD) or in TS. Moreover, both the severity and profile of EF deficits appears to differ across ADHD and autism. Molar EF deficits are more severe in the latter than the former. In the few studies of more specific EF tasks, there are impairments in motor inhibition in ADHD but not in autism, whereas there are impairments in verbal working memory in autism but not ADHD. We close with a discussion of implications for future research.

So, it's pretty interesting that there seems to be some overlap between ADHD and AQ. Even though the top quote said that the AQ test had different score means between both groups, it apparently has limited clinical applicability with its somewhat poor correct classification rate of 73%, meaning that a person with ADHD could also score highly on the AQ test, especially if they share other AQ test correlates like introversion and depression.

I'm just putting this out there because my neuropsychologist suggested I had ADHD, which seems more compatible than autism as far as explaining my differences. I mean, I personally felt I was fairly attuned to people's emotions as a young person (If I saw they were sad, I'd cheer them up with some energetic dialogue or something) and I don't seem to share many symptoms beyond inferred social/communication deficits.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

07 Aug 2011, 4:22 pm

It's possible you could have ADHD instead of an ASD. ADHD can also cause social difficulties and present some apparent difficulties that resemble ASDs. They're not the same, obviously, but I mean on a superficial level. Littlelily knew someone who was sure he had AS, but was ultimately diagnosed with ADHD and agreed with the reasoning for that without also having AS.

I went through a period where I was sure my ASD stuff was actually caused by ADHD.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 12:12 am

I have an ASD, and several family members with ADHD (a few with SEVERE ADHD) and none of them score even close to me on the AQ test. Not even slightly close.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

08 Aug 2011, 12:23 am

littlelily613 wrote:
I have an ASD, and several family members with ADHD (a few with SEVERE ADHD) and none of them score even close to me on the AQ test. Not even slightly close.

Are one of these "not even slightly close" scores somewhere around 35, by chance?

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 1:03 am

Hmmmm... this seems strange.

About two months ago and before that, I was consistently scoring in the 33 to 35 range on the AQ test, even when I really didn't want to score highly on the AQ test because of the implications. After hanging out with my fun cousin over the past two months while working, I recently took the test again and scored 19.

Has socializing and getting out of a consistently depressive state cured me of autism? 8O

Maybe it's plain jane ADHD-ness. Hmmmm....