Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Neotokyomushroom
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Sep 2011, 4:45 pm

Listen to any track by Ian Dury and the Blockheads, I sound the same except with a different regional accent. It's one of the traits that is leading to my new possible career in music. :lol:

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

17 Sep 2011, 5:02 pm

swbluto wrote:
Quote:
Anyway, ADHD is not within "normal variation" as far as emotional goes - Barkley wants to get emotional dysregulation into the DSM-V definition of ADHD because of impulsiveness and a lack of neurological function in many people with ADHD that relates to controlling your social behavior on the basis of consequences. Or how NTs use particular parts of the brain to self-regulate their behavior whereas these areas are typically inactive in people with ADHD, forcing them to adapt by working through part of their brain that involves emotion, meaning that emotions are typically raw in comparison to NTs, closer to the surface, and much less likely to be inhibited before causing problems. NTs are typically unsympathetic toward ADHD difficulties because "everyone deals with that" and they don't get that it is a difference of magnitude.

Oh, poppycock. ADHD people can accurately express and interpret happiness and other emotional states just as well as the average person. Sure, I guess there might be differences in the ability to inhibit ones behavior, but wearing your heart on your sleeves hardly makes ones outside of "normal variation" in nearly the same way as autistics are.

I didn't say anything about not being able to express or interpret happiness. I said that people who have ADHD have impaired emotional regulation. I am referring to actual research that has described how an ADHD brain works, which as it turns out is not how an NT brain works. It's not simply a matter of "wearing your heart on your sleeve." I live in a household with four other people who are diagnosed with ADHD, and one who may have it but is not diagnosed. One of them leaves the bathroom unlocked because she has on occasion locked the door and forgotten how to unlock it. She is not stupid - far from it - but her behavior and need for coping mechanisms is pretty clearly outside of typical.

"Differences in the ability to inhibit one's behavior" can be pretty extreme in ADHD

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

17 Sep 2011, 5:16 pm

Verdandi wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Quote:
Anyway, ADHD is not within "normal variation" as far as emotional goes - Barkley wants to get emotional dysregulation into the DSM-V definition of ADHD because of impulsiveness and a lack of neurological function in many people with ADHD that relates to controlling your social behavior on the basis of consequences. Or how NTs use particular parts of the brain to self-regulate their behavior whereas these areas are typically inactive in people with ADHD, forcing them to adapt by working through part of their brain that involves emotion, meaning that emotions are typically raw in comparison to NTs, closer to the surface, and much less likely to be inhibited before causing problems. NTs are typically unsympathetic toward ADHD difficulties because "everyone deals with that" and they don't get that it is a difference of magnitude.

Oh, poppycock. ADHD people can accurately express and interpret happiness and other emotional states just as well as the average person. Sure, I guess there might be differences in the ability to inhibit ones behavior, but wearing your heart on your sleeves hardly makes ones outside of "normal variation" in nearly the same way as autistics are.

I didn't say anything about not being able to express or interpret happiness. I said that people who have ADHD have impaired emotional regulation. I am referring to actual research that has described how an ADHD brain works, which as it turns out is not how an NT brain works.

Oh yes, I agree that the research you found was accurate, but the suggestion that the emotional side is "outside of normal variation" in a way anywhere nearly similar to autistics was a bit too extreme of a claim.

Quote:
It's not simply a matter of "wearing your heart on your sleeve." I live in a household with four other people who are diagnosed with ADHD, and one who may have it but is not diagnosed. One of them leaves the bathroom unlocked because she has on occasion locked the door and forgotten how to unlock it. She is not stupid - far from it - but her behavior and need for coping mechanisms is pretty clearly outside of typical.

"Differences in the ability to inhibit one's behavior" can be pretty extreme in ADHD

What kind of doorlock is this?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

17 Sep 2011, 5:19 pm

swbluto wrote:

This kind:

http://bestknob.com/image.php?type=T&id=17640 - can't properly display the image for some reason.

Also, sensory processing issues are common in ADHD, although not as common as in ASDs.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

17 Sep 2011, 5:22 pm

Verdandi wrote:
swbluto wrote:

This kind:

Also, sensory processing issues are common in ADHD, although not as common as in ASDs.

That settles it, I definitely don't have ADHD.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 5:27 pm

swbluto wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
swbluto wrote:

This kind:

That settles it, I definitely don't have ADHD.

You still could. She has some severe inattention issues. When playing games with her and helping her with her math homework it's even obvious to me that her attention is all over the place and trying to keep her focused is like trying to hold onto a slippery ledge. Trying to interact at that level is really frustrating and actually more exhausting than dealing with many NTs.