post anorexic weight gain and/ need to find healthy weight

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

08 Aug 2011, 12:35 am

Well i was anorexic in my early teens, but made up for it after gaining a bunch of weight on zyprexia.
I battled with being overweight and everytime I would start losing weight, I would get scared of being anorexic again and then end up over-eating and gaining even more weight. Well then I was reading about females aspergers online and found that 20 percent of those they had in this wide study of anorexia also were autistic.

Some how that opened the door for me to try to lose weight without being afriad. It seems that I needed to know WHY it happened. Now I know that it is common with female AS...I feel as if I can move forward with getting to a healthy weight. I will have to keep aware of the possibility of anorexia, but it is no longer this looming fear because I now know what caused it.

the article I read said that we have trouble changing from one routine to anouther and after dieting, and we reach a healthy weight...it is hard for us to switch gears to a non diet mode. So I wanted to talk about things I could do once I reach my goal of 150 which is more than reasonable. I am only 5'3 1/2, but I am muscular and large boned. So my healthiet weight is about 150ish.
What I want to know is what can I do to get off of the losing weight mode to a matience mode??

Jojo

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 1:05 am

Establish a target weight with your doctor, a healthy margin to go above or below that target weight, and a healthy diet you won't beat yourself up over too bad to maintain it. Obsessive eating habits to maintain a target weight aren't ideal, but if you are getting proper nutrition from it you will be headed in the right direction and nutritionists and counselors will be able to advise you from there.

I may be a guy, but I am more familiar with eating disorders than I've advertized here.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

08 Aug 2011, 3:56 am

John_Browning wrote:
Establish a target weight with your doctor, a healthy margin to go above or below that target weight, and a healthy diet you won't beat yourself up over too bad to maintain it. Obsessive eating habits to maintain a target weight aren't ideal, but if you are getting proper nutrition from it you will be headed in the right direction and nutritionists and counselors will be able to advise you from there.

I may be a guy, but I am more familiar with eating disorders than I've advertized here.

thank you I will talk to my doctor about it. He is worried about my weight. Luckily, my blood presure is good as a teens and I have been keeping pre-diabetes at a mininum. I have a treadmill, mom wants me to get my EKG done before using it. I think I will need to get those tests done this week then.

My doc said lots of fruits and veggies, some lean meat, few whole grain carbs...keep refined sugars, to a mininum.
I think that is doable.

The article I read about aspergers and anorexia...I could see how aspie guys could develop it too...just overlooked because people mainly blame the model industry.

I did have a friend in college that was a male calvin klein model. He had anorexia. However I kinda think it was a requirement for the job.
He was also a recovering heronin addict. Alot of those in the modeling industry used heroin because it allowed you to eat more and still lose weight.

thanks for talking with me about this, John. You're awesome!

Jojo

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 1:16 pm

If I'm not mistaken, Autism is associated with OCD and restrictive behaviors of many kinds so the link makes sense.
My case is the opposite, though- I'm gripped with fear not of anorexia, but of recovering from it and gaining a ton of weight. Starvation is basically the only way I'm able to stay not-obese, let alone thin. I'd love to be able to eat, but for me, eating a tenth what a normal person would is synonymous with ballooning up, and that's not an acceptable consequence for me. I've been thinking of seeing a psychiatrist for this and other issues, and hoping maybe she or he will have ideas on what I can do to boost my metabolism- I can't ask any of my "normal" doctors, as they all look at me like I'm lying. (A chunky young adult claiming to rarely eat isn't widely-believed.) I can't over-emphasize the value of a good psychiatrist.

to his Interest."

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 10:09 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, Autism is associated with OCD and restrictive behaviors of many kinds so the link makes sense.
My case is the opposite, though- I'm gripped with fear not of anorexia, but of recovering from it and gaining a ton of weight. Starvation is basically the only way I'm able to stay not-obese, let alone thin. I'd love to be able to eat, but for me, eating a tenth what a normal person would is synonymous with ballooning up, and that's not an acceptable consequence for me. I've been thinking of seeing a psychiatrist for this and other issues, and hoping maybe she or he will have ideas on what I can do to boost my metabolism- I can't ask any of my "normal" doctors, as they all look at me like I'm lying. (A chunky young adult claiming to rarely eat isn't widely-believed.) I can't over-emphasize the value of a good psychiatrist.

you really should see an endrocrinoligist, they do the thyroid and other endrocrine disorders some of which cause low metabolism.
A primary care doctor does not usually know the tests needed to find endocrine problems that would lead to abnormally low metabolism, but an endrocrinoligist would.

My psychiatrist is just a presciption mill, though. I cant find better care in my area because of limitations because of my insurance.
My sister is like you, she eats like a mouse and is overweight, even though she works out for 2 hours on the elypical trainer. But thyroid disease runs in our family...I think she has it, but wont get properly tested because of dislike for doctors

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 11:56 pm

Check the ingredients of things you eat. High Fructose Corn Syrup packs a huge amount of calories into very little mass, it has no nutritional value, and it's in practically everything now so you have to check labels. Orowheat bread, unprocessed meats (watch what you put on them), and dairy products are a good way to avoid HFCS, though if you use dairy products heavily you may want to switch to lowfat or nonfat because the amount of fat will add up to be significant. My most common dinner is a baked potato stuffed with cheese (whatever kind you want) and put bacon bits on top. Actually you could stuff a potato full of a lot of different things that would make it a complete meal and it would be low in simple sugars. Nowadays I probably eat fast food less than once a month.

If you must have something sweet, don't beat yourself up for it. Studies have shown that artificial sweetners screw up the body's ability to gauge your calorie count, and occasionally having some chocolate (dark is better) will help control sweet and salty food cravings. If you are going to have something sweet, avoid diet and just use moderation.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 10:59 am

I can't use moderation. If I allow myself to eat, the floodgates open, and pretty soon I'm devouring everything in sight, and all the things I haven't allowed myself in years.

to his Interest."

justlefty
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Aug 2011, 3:42 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:

Is it possible that your analysis of the doctors is not accurate? I would think that the doctors would do some tests on a chunky girl who claimed to barely eat. Perhaps they look at you like you are lying, because they perceive you as very thin and therefore boosting your metabolism would not make any sense to them. In any case, they should be taking your concerns seriously.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 4:05 pm

If I could find a way to donate a spare 100lb, I would. ;)

It would be a win-win after all. It's old good wholesole Fatty McFat. I could even grow some more if you needed it after the op.

Pass me the pork scratchings, love.