Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

ptjman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2011, 8:28 am

lately I've been thinking about learning programming in flash, but when i went on the adobe website, l learned it was $600 at it's cheapest.so is there any free alternatives to flash that has most of the features of flash and allows me to embed my own games in HTML code?

Tom_Kakes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2011, 10:48 am

ptjman wrote:
lately I've been thinking about learning programming in flash, but when i went on the adobe website, l learned it was $600 at it's cheapest.so is there any free alternatives to flash that has most of the features of flash and allows me to embed my own games in HTML code?

There is the gnu flash plugin gnash but it doesn't come with an IDE. It's pretty much only any good at rendering buttons etc, playing some videos and also really only compatible with flash 7.

There is a flash IDE actually written in flash but I can't remember its name?

mcg
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 8:03 pm

HTML 5

Tom_Kakes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2011, 5:31 am

Just Google "free flash IDE"

First result:

http://www.flashdevelop.org/wikidocs/in ... =Main_Page

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 5:35 am

Java?

MadnessMaddened
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Aug 2011, 5:40 am

mcg wrote:
HTML 5

+1. HTML5 is the way to go.

Tom_Kakes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2011, 2:13 pm

Html5 and java do their respective tasks in a great way but are not replacements for Adobe flash, unfortunately there is no open (or closed) alternative.

I think he is looking for a development environment (ide) and I know Adobes is about that price.

MadnessMaddened

13 Aug 2011, 11:01 pm

Tom_Kakes wrote:
Html5 and java do their respective tasks in a great way but are not replacements for Adobe flash

Please elaborate.

The only reason that we have not seen the near complete exodus of Flash from the mainstream (of course there will be a niche market for a while) is Google's politics concerning video codecs.

Tom_Kakes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2011, 5:19 am

MadnessMaddened wrote:
Tom_Kakes wrote:
Html5 and java do their respective tasks in a great way but are not replacements for Adobe flash

Please elaborate.

The only reason that we have not seen the near complete exodus of Flash from the mainstream (of course there will be a niche market for a while) is Google's politics concerning video codecs.

Html5 is not an alternative to flash. While it can do some of the things flash can like rendering animations, buttons etc and decoding video. It can't do all the things flash can.

Html5 can also do many things that flash can't but just to clarify, they are two completely different toolsets ment to do their own tasks.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparis ... _and_Flash

Flash is not just a video player.

While html5 video is better on platforms other than windows because of the hardware accelerated open codecs it uses. The majority market share of Windows users won't notice much of a speed increase in playing html5 video over flash. This is because the Windows version of the flash plugin has good hardware acceleration of video as opposed to the Unix derivatives. Until this changes (as in less people use Windows) we won't see websites substantially adopting html5 over flash video.

nat4200
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 4:00 am

Redacted

Last edited by nat4200 on 19 Apr 2012, 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Koan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Aug 2011, 11:00 am

Google for free dev env's. Also, what nat4200 said.

But Java can never replace Flash. HTML 5 and up might gradually take over, but I doubt it as SW/Flash has too much of a foothold.

I also worked with a few libraries for PHP that let you embed dynamic code that would compile Flash on the server on the fly. :) I don't remember what it was called, but it was very powerful to be able to do that.

Tom_Kakes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2011, 3:31 pm

Koan wrote:

I also worked with a few libraries for PHP that let you embed dynamic code that would compile Flash on the server on the fly. :) I don't remember what it was called, but it was very powerful to be able to do that.

Sounds interesting (and cool) but in what situation would that be better than precompiling. Is it just a matter of speed of deployment of code?

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 11:19 pm

You want something like Flixel of Flashpunk,
Free, open source, AS3 based.

http://flixel.org/
http://flashpunk.net/

bigbadbeast2007
Toucan
Toucan

01 Sep 2011, 8:39 am

mcg wrote:
HTML 5

isn't this developed by apple?

Knifey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2011, 11:00 pm

xaraextreme exports animations to flash format. it also gives you a html tag i think.