iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 7:11 am

naturalplastic wrote:
techn0teen wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Reindeer wrote:
Why does people think that swearing is wrong?! I swear ALOT. But why does people think that you are unintelligent if you swear?
Swearing is in fact intelligent because it's words to give out your opinion which in my head is intelligent, man some parents wouldn't like me to raise their kids ;)
Also swear words expands your vocalbulary which is also a kind of intelligence!

If it stood to me small children should learn to swear at a low age... Nothing wrong with swearing it's just words! also it could work very well here in Denmark since it's illegal to bully...
So you can't bully people verbal without getting a fine or prison sentence.

Why does people? He does, she does, it does, but they do, not does. For the minuscule increase in vocabulary that profanity may provide, it is better yet to have proper grammatical constructions of ones verbs if you care to demonstrate your intelligence linguistically.

Or it could have been a simple typo, and you are overreacting to an honest mistake.

I would be more concerned if this improper use of grammar was consistent.

Edit: I read it more closely, and I see more mistakes. I tend to ignore grammar mistakes in written text due to exposure from my fellow engineers.

I get the impression that he is from Denmark. So English is not his native tongue.
So you have to cut him some slack.

Is claiming to be a foreigner going to be the new excuse for bad writing on the internet now? Even if such is the case, it's better to learn more scholarly vocabulary, such as that derived from Latin and Greek, than to merely learn words relating to bodily functions and relationship statuses of fornicators or whatever. If anyone thinks that swearing is a way to demonstrate intelligence, they've got an incredibly messed up notion. The opposite is more like the real case, and even among those who can't think but to swear every other word it is not a matter of showing intelligence but instead sincerity since they seemed to have developed the notion that having a toilet for a mouth is equivalent to honesty.

Reindeer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2011, 8:44 am

Simonono wrote:
It ain't so smart if you casually use it on purpose in every single sentence, and your child starts using it.

(I'm talking about my brother)

I don't swear in every sentence though that sounds aggressive IMO xD
I just like swear if I think there is a need for it in a sentence or if I yell at something. (in anger)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 9:02 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
techn0teen wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Reindeer wrote:
Why does people think that swearing is wrong?! I swear ALOT. But why does people think that you are unintelligent if you swear?
Swearing is in fact intelligent because it's words to give out your opinion which in my head is intelligent, man some parents wouldn't like me to raise their kids ;)
Also swear words expands your vocalbulary which is also a kind of intelligence!

If it stood to me small children should learn to swear at a low age... Nothing wrong with swearing it's just words! also it could work very well here in Denmark since it's illegal to bully...
So you can't bully people verbal without getting a fine or prison sentence.

Why does people? He does, she does, it does, but they do, not does. For the minuscule increase in vocabulary that profanity may provide, it is better yet to have proper grammatical constructions of ones verbs if you care to demonstrate your intelligence linguistically.

Or it could have been a simple typo, and you are overreacting to an honest mistake.

I would be more concerned if this improper use of grammar was consistent.

Edit: I read it more closely, and I see more mistakes. I tend to ignore grammar mistakes in written text due to exposure from my fellow engineers.

I get the impression that he is from Denmark. So English is not his native tongue.
So you have to cut him some slack.

Is claiming to be a foreigner going to be the new excuse for bad writing on the internet now? Even if such is the case, it's better to learn more scholarly vocabulary, such as that derived from Latin and Greek, than to merely learn words relating to bodily functions and relationship statuses of fornicators or whatever. If anyone thinks that swearing is a way to demonstrate intelligence, they've got an incredibly messed up notion. The opposite is more like the real case, and even among those who can't think but to swear every other word it is not a matter of showing intelligence but instead sincerity since they seemed to have developed the notion that having a toilet for a mouth is equivalent to honesty.

Whoaaa...
Put down the baseball bat!
you're mixing up different issues.
I was refering to his clutzy and rather comical grammer, not to his advocacy of cuss words.

The day I learn to write fluently in a foriegn language will be the day I can look down on a foriegn poster for not being facil in my language. That day aint coming anytime soon. How many languages can you write in?
But they didnt teach me cuss words in highschool Spanish, so I couldnt cuss in any foriegn language even if I wanted to.

Im not defending him using anglo american cuss words.
I agree with you about that. I dont get what he is on about in defending the use of cuss words.
Cussing is fine if you're in combat, or working on a crab boat. But not when holding forth on an internet forum about philosophy and etc.

Ofcourse Im not sure if he really is a foriegner. His profile doesnt say where he is from. He mentioned laws in Denmark and makes the kind of grammatical errors that a foriegn speaker might make. So thats just a guess on my part.

They make you look dumb ( and coarse etc). And thats the way it is.
Whats to debate?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 1:15 pm

Count to ten and curse in Ancient Akadian. No one will be offended.

ruveyn

dopplercb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2011, 4:31 pm

I swear a lot and have above average intelligence. I just like the words. and sometimes there is not other way to call someone an as*hole than to say as*hole. to the point.