Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 4:56 am

Ettina wrote:
Autistics don't have any trouble feeling emotions, just processing and understanding them.

My experience suggests that the emotional life of Autistic people is no less intense than that of other people (if not more intense), but it does tend to be less layered.

My own emotional life is largely an expression of the level of (dis)comfort I experience at any given time, whereas my girlfriend and other "neurotypicals" in my environment have a wide range of subtle nuances in her emotional spectrum that are completely alien to me.

... and that's precisely where the communication problems stem from. Autistic people and "neurotypicals" experience a different emotional spectrum, with different triggers, different sensitivities, different preferences, etc.

Communication problems stem from Autistic people struggling to comprehend the emotional spectrum of "neurotypicals", but also the other way around. It is just as hard for them to understand us as it is for us to understand them.

Ettina wrote:
Autism affects what stimuli triggers what emotions, and it can make you unable to feel certain social emotions such as embarrassment, but not the basic capacity to experience sadness, anger, fear and happiness is unaffected by autism.

Psychologists, psychoanalysts and neuroscientists commonly apply a triune model of the brain :
  • * The Reptilian complex (aka "instinct" aka "the Id") : where primitive subconscious emotions (such as sadness, anger, fear and happiness) reside and which is correlated to primitive neurochemical algorithms that measure one's capacity to take care of oneself.
  • * The Paleomammalian complex (aka "reason" aka "the Ego") : where individual consciousness resides, and which is correlated to defensive, perceptual, intellectual-cognitive, and executive functions.
  • * The Neomammalian complex (aka "intuition" aka "the Super-ego") : where collective consciousness resides, and which is highly correlated to the internalization of cultural rules, mainly taught by parents applying their guidance and influence.

In individuals with Autism, the Neomammalian complex does not behave as it normally should, which could have any of a multitude of causes. Low-functioning Autists often have and underdeveloped Reptilian complex and/or Paleomammalian complex as well, whereas high-functioning Autists typically have a superior Reptilian complex and/or Paleomammalian complex to compensate for the failure of the Neomammalian complex.

That's why so many Autistic people are programmers, scientists and engineers (superior Paleomammalian complex) or designers and artists (superior Reptilian complex).

zeldazonk
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Mar 2015, 5:56 pm

Quote:
Before being medicated, I found that I didn't immediately cycle from hypomania to depression. I'd have periods where my mood was normal. I've also had mixed states before, where both symptoms of hypomania and depression are present, and they're not very nice.

My first full blown bipolar mania was "activated" by the death of my mother. Before that my mania's were "merely" hypomanic. I have finally found a med combination that keeps my mania AND depression in check. I've had mixed states before where I'd vacillate between high and low in a manner of minutes (rapid cycling?). Not fun![/quote]

Hi Lydia,

Sorry, I'm doing this on a tablet & I've mucked up the quote thing.

Could you tell me which meds those are? I have bipolar 2 and take Duoloxetine (Cymbalta) and Lithium.
It's so interesting to hear these experiences of ASD and bipolar (apparently the most common comorbid disorder among people on the spectrum), I can completely relate. I never get periods of normal moods though. Or, I guess my version of normal is chronic hyperarousal which is not nice.

Thanks, Zel.

dryope
Toucan
Toucan

09 Apr 2015, 3:04 am

aspiesavant wrote:
The distinction between Autism, Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, Bi-Polar Disorder, Schizophrenia, OCD, ADHD and Borderline Personality Disorder is not clear-cut.

There's a significant overlap in symptoms and genetic correlation between each of these "disorders". Co-morbidity is also very common.

Personally, I lean towards the notion that Autism, Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, Bi-Polar Disorder, Schizophrenia, OCD, ADHD and Borderline Personality Disorder are not individual conditions but as different expressions of the same spectrum.

I would also argue that these are not disorders, but normal variations within human behavior that have been pathologized for no other reason but the rather eccentric and unusual behavior of people within, which makes them more difficult to manipulate and control.

Just wanted to highlight this excellent post. This is exactly my thinking, too. Go aspiesavant!

Lnb1771
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Apr 2015, 2:05 pm

zeldazonk wrote:
Quote:
Before being medicated, I found that I didn't immediately cycle from hypomania to depression. I'd have periods where my mood was normal. I've also had mixed states before, where both symptoms of hypomania and depression are present, and they're not very nice.

My first full blown bipolar mania was "activated" by the death of my mother. Before that my mania's were "merely" hypomanic. I have finally found a med combination that keeps my mania AND depression in check. I've had mixed states before where I'd vacillate between high and low in a manner of minutes (rapid cycling?). Not fun!

Hi Lydia,

Sorry, I'm doing this on a tablet & I've mucked up the quote thing.

Could you tell me which meds those are? I have bipolar 2 and take Duoloxetine (Cymbalta) and Lithium.
It's so interesting to hear these experiences of ASD and bipolar (apparently the most common comorbid disorder among people on the spectrum), I can completely relate. I never get periods of normal moods though. Or, I guess my version of normal is chronic hyperarousal which is not nice.

Thanks, Zel.[/quote]

Zel,
I take Zyprexa for the mania, Wellbutrin for the depression and Buspar for the anxiety. I think I have periods of normal mood but triggers can definitely set off a mania or a depression. Thanks for asking. Sorry I took so long to respond.
Lydia

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 9:54 am

My doctor strongly suspects I am bipolar.