Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

GammaGeek
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 10:11 am

Long story short: my brother is autistic, he lost his old play tutor, he needs a new one. Basically, a play tutor is there to help a kid learn how to cope with his stress, use his imagination and (here comes the shocker) play. I do that anyway, and now I'm gonna get paid for it!

This is like life or death important to me. I NEED this job for 3 main reasons.

3. It would be lovely to be the class smartass in psychology this year...
2. Money to buy beef jerky and Cuttlas comics. And to save for college, but that's a given. I'm going to have 90% put away for college and 10% for fun stuff. It won't be a lot, but I will more likely to be able to buy German food if I have extra money. I haven't had wurst in forever...
1. When I grow up, I want to be a psychologist. Now that I've been working on this, I want to specifically be an occupational therapist. This mainly stems from the fact that OTs are in HIGH demand. There are so many kids out there who really need help from an OT, and I adore children, so this will be very helpful in getting me started on that road.

I am completely confident in my abilities to carry out this job. However, I am NOT confident that my dear Asperger's will stop for a day and I will survive the interview. I have NO idea what to expect. What is she gonna ask? What do I say? What do I wear? What do I keep in my work binder (AKA Big Red Book)? Note that I've already got a huge advantage thanks to my situation, but it's not exactly set and go yet.

8O

abc123
Toucan
Toucan

16 Aug 2011, 11:40 am

You could try buying/borrowing a book on interviews.
Who is interviewing you and is there a job advert? I would look at the skills required from the job advert/job and come up with examples of how you have used these skills in the past. Prepare a question for the end of the interview and turn up smart and clean. Find out about the person/organisation interviewing you. Good luck!
http://www.quintcareers.com/STAR_interviewing.html

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 12:32 pm

GammaGeek wrote:
I am completely confident in my abilities to carry out this job. However, I am NOT confident that my dear Asperger's will stop for a day and I will survive the interview. I have NO idea what to expect. What is she gonna ask? What do I say? What do I wear? What do I keep in my work binder (AKA Big Red Book)? Note that I've already got a huge advantage thanks to my situation, but it's not exactly set and go yet.

8O
Oh, I've been there, done that, gotten the t-shirt.

I'm sure we've got basic coping mechanisms down for all of the necessary chit-chat, prior research on the company you'll be working for, list of important questions about benefits and the working environment...

I go into interviews feeling very confident, then, as I get comfortable with the chatting... I occasionally notice the 'wot?' look or the glazed over eyes... I sometimes get to detailed or go on too in-depth about certain questions when a cursory answer would be more appropriate. Then I have to reign myself in and slow myself down and try to be very aware of the body language of the other person (which I tend to lose sight of when I'm focusing on the answering of a question).

Oh, and I typically prefer to stand and walk around while talking or thinking... but, I've discovered it's better if I stay seated, as some people really get annoyed by the way I sway side to side when my mind is occupied with something.

Best of luck.

Daryl_Blonder
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2011, 11:24 pm

Just abide by all the standard stuff for interviews... do as they tell you in the guide books. Interviews are all a bunch of phony-baloney, which is why I can't stand them. The worst part is when they ask questions like "Why should I hire you?" Because I need the job, DUH! Instead you have to come up with some BS answer...

*****************************************************************************************************

Check out my IMDB page!

IkeSiCwan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Aug 2011, 3:19 am

I have a lot of job interview experience, done that about 15 times the last half year.

So, the start is very important! Smile, but not too much, come about very friendly and thankfull for being invited to a interview. The attitude you show is important. Sit down the last after everyone else took their seat, grap the water/coffee after someone else in the room did that first. These little things are to show respect. And showing respect to the company and the offered job is to wear appropriate cloth like a office suit or a dark combo. Start putting on a suit or a combo some days befor, so you get used to it and feel good with it.

Learn facts about the company, what they do, the size, specials you find on their website etc. And prepair answeres with these facts. Sure you just need money. So that's a reason why you applied. But is that all? Here start why this company interests you. And here DO nOT start a monologe about the company and what you like about the upcoming job. But just say some words about that to start with and than go over and ask questions about the job and the company, show you wanna learn more about the details you found in your preparation.

Very very important: prepare yourself, train and practise it... keep your talking short. Short sentence, not too much into and details in one. And keep rather slow talking. I know it is not easy when you know your ground in a topic. Slow and much singsang in what you say with a deep voice. Make the interviewer listen to you by using your voice and not so much the content of your speech. I know exacty, I love to put realy much details and complexity into my talk and speech, but I experienced that this overloads others very fast and makes them feel unable and stupid. Never ever make others feel that way in a interview. Show your skills and knowledge without overloading them. Talk about the asked topic for a while but not for hours and wait for more questions. if you got their attention, they will ask for more.

Read books and online articles about the questions you may face in a job interview. Prepare for the questions what you could answere. And Yes, use your cell phone or dictate recorder or a camcorder and record it. Asks a friend or a familiy member to sit down with you asking you these questions, you answere them and record all of it. Watch it, analyse it and go for a second run. Do better not go for more than 3 runs preparing it. I know doing it this way leads to do it obsessively. The outcome would be way off. The problem is, the company needs a human and not a perfectionist. You need to let yourself make errors, show that you'r a human.

Hope I could help you somehow...

- Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 57 of 200
I am an IT and Aviation Nerd!
- Asperger diagnosis / Autism spectrum diagnosis official 04/2016
- self diagnosis 2008

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 3:35 pm

Don't have a drink or smoke anything the night before.
Don't eat anything that could upset your stomach or cause gas.
Don't drink too much fluid, squirming around because you have to go the bathroom isn't good.
Don't lug a big backpack or bag with you if you don't need it. Try to look as efficient as possible.

Do blow them away so much that they run out to the parking lot as you are leaving to hire you on the spot!

gc1ceo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Aug 2011, 4:27 pm

I totally need to do this job, but nothing exists remotely like that here.

I could have used one so much when I was growing up.