Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 11:20 am

What's your favorite Beethoven piece?

Normally, I prefer his symphonies, but at the moment I'm listening to the Violin Concerto in D. It's utterly exquisite ...

whalewatcher
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Aug 2011, 3:01 pm

I started with the symphonies and have been exploring his work from there. It's taking years!

I also love the Violin Concerto (particularly the second mvmt), and Piano Concerto no 5, which I love to blast out while driving. People seem to give me strange looks when I'm stopped at the lights with the window down and this kind of music playing loud.

The piano sonatas never tire me (and I haven't yet listened to all of them properly).

But if I had to take Beethoven track to a desert island it would be the second movement of the 7th symphony.

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 3:14 pm

Ooh, classical music, one of my favourite subjects.

I'm a huge fan of the Moonlight Sonata. All three movements are beautiful in their own way, even if I can only play the first. I've also begun to appreciate his other Sonatas, especially the Appassionata. As far as the symphonies go, I love the 5th and the 7th, as basically everyone does. I once made a quickly-abandoned attempt to study Liszt's dastardly difficult piano transcription of the 5th.

Another piece I like is this. It makes me giggle every time I listen to it.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 7:55 am

So far my favourite is his Op. 131 string quartet in C# minor.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 8:22 am

whalewatcher wrote:
I also love the Violin Concerto (particularly the second mvmt), and Piano Concerto no 5, which I love to blast out while driving. People seem to give me strange looks when I'm stopped at the lights with the window down and this kind of music playing loud.

LOL ... I do the same thing! One time a young man playing hip-hop extremely loud even turned his volume down when he heard me.

Quote:
But if I had to take Beethoven track to a desert island it would be the second movement of the 7th symphony.

Very interesting. I don't know what I would take. I'd probably try to smuggle several pieces in my socks or something ..

Artros wrote:
As far as the symphonies go, I love the 5th and the 7th,

Ahead of the 9th, even?

I like the 6th, too. I like going against that "Beethoven's odd-numbered symphonies" thing ... lol

Who_Am_I wrote:

Hmmm ... I haven't listened to his string quartets in a long time. I'll have to do this one today.

bombergal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Sep 2011, 8:39 am

Artros wrote:
Ooh, classical music, one of my favourite subjects.

I'm a huge fan of the Moonlight Sonata. All three movements are beautiful in their own way, even if I can only play the first. I've also begun to appreciate his other Sonatas, especially the Appassionata. As far as the symphonies go, I love the 5th and the 7th, as basically everyone does. I once made a quickly-abandoned attempt to study Liszt's dastardly difficult piano transcription of the 5th.

Another piece I like is this. It makes me giggle every time I listen to it.

Here's my piano rendition of the 1st movement of the Moonlight Sonata from youtube. It has really taken off in its views the last few days (not sure why):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3imTAiOye68

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 12:07 pm

I've been on a big Beethoven kick lately, not sure why. My all-time favorite is probably "Bagatelle In A Minor."

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 1:15 pm

the late quartets especialy no.15 in a minor opus 132 featuring the heiliger dankgesang (solem song of thanksgiving).i have seen the late quartets performed live twice by the guarneri string quartet

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 1:18 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
i love that one too.it was rated no.7 on the all time list of greatest compositions,although it should have been first

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 6:00 pm

It's hard to beat the second and forth movements of the 9th symphony, but I really love YoYo Ma's and Emanual Ax's version of Sonata No. 3 in A Major for Cello and Piano, Op. 69/II. Scherzo: Allegro molto

Here's a youtube video of a couple women performing the piece.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZjxcBVmU3M[/youtube]

Twilightflame
Raven
Raven

17 Sep 2011, 1:25 pm

Was Pathetique by Beethoven?

If it is, then that's the one. If not, then disregard this post.

I love Pathetique. First heard it as the intro to the Starship Troopers animated series, and never stopped loving it since then.

ROIH
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Sep 2011, 9:54 am

Beethoven FTW!

To me, his 9th symphony is the greatest work of art in any genre ever made.

Here is an interesting recording of the 9th - Furtwängler with Erna Berger, Elisabeth Höngen, Helge Rosvaenge, Rudolf Watzke April 20, 1942, in celebration of Hitler's Birthday. Just imagine what Beethoven would have been thinking! It is well known though that Furtwängler seriously disliked the NAZIs and helped countless Jewish musicians to escape. Makes for chilling listening.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2itdv1aEpG4[/youtube]

His piano sonatas (especially his late ones) are wonderful as well. I especially adore the op. 90. 101, 109, 110, and 111 sonatas.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwZFn_cVKBg[/youtube]

Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 4:48 pm

The 9th symphony.

I remember the first time I heard anything other than the last movement...
I switched on the TV because I was bored, and it was apparently somewhere in the middle of the 1st movement. Because they didn't show it, I had no idea what it was. But I was so absorbed that I just couldn't switch off. I decided to guess the composer before looking it up... My thoughts: "It doesn't sound romantic, but it's much more complex than any other piece from the classical period I know. So Beethoven is the only possibility, but why haven't I ever heard it before?!"

In fact, I like the movements 1–3 better than the last one.

I'm a bit disappointed by his violin concerto. But he has written other great pieces for violin (like the Spring Sonata), and I like the piano sonatas and concertos.