Men, what do you wear on a date?

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AsteroidNap
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 4:12 am

Grisha wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
On the dating site I go to, there was a discussion of this.

Women often complained about guys wearing stained clothes to dates, and jandals.

Just if anyone wants a heads up.

Wutza "jandal"? - I've heard of "Mandals" though.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the OP was getting at, but this is typical "hot date" attire for me:

Grisha, that's pretty sweet, I must say. I like the style. It looks sort of hipsterish without the obvious pretention of it. Maybe I'm wrong.../shrug.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 8:01 am

AsteroidNap wrote:
Grisha wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
On the dating site I go to, there was a discussion of this.

Women often complained about guys wearing stained clothes to dates, and jandals.

Just if anyone wants a heads up.

Wutza "jandal"? - I've heard of "Mandals" though.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the OP was getting at, but this is typical "hot date" attire for me:

Grisha, that's pretty sweet, I must say. I like the style. It looks sort of hipsterish without the obvious pretention of it. Maybe I'm wrong.../shrug.

Thanks!

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 10:10 am

i haven't been on very many real "dates". mostly, i would sort of hang out with a person i was seeing, and we might do some kind of fun inexpensive activity together. not a formally planned event, except maybe twice.

the first time i was a teenager and my date wore teen-style clothing. the second time i went out on a date the guy wore a casual button up-shirt with "duck" pants (construction-style). there was a complicated reason why he was wearing those pants even though he was not working in the trades. anyway.

oh, i remember a third date. he wore... a plaid shirt and jeans.

i would go out with my former husband on dates sometimes, and we would usually overdress for the fun of it. we didn't need to worry about coming across "wrong", so there was no risk.

i do notice what a person wears, but that doesn't mean it has to be formal or dressy. to me, a date should look comfortable in their clothing but also like a slight bit of effort went into it. fresh/clean and slightly interesting is good. not sure if that makes sense.

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 10:20 am

I just want a man to be dressed "appropriately" ... and that depends on where we're going, how well we know each other, etc.

I also think this question is very age-dependent. Back when I was a student, wearing jeans and t-shirt was perfectly fine. Now it may or may not be appropriate, depending. I also like to do outdoorsy kinds of things with men, so shorts and t are fine in that case.

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 10:23 am

Grisha wrote:

That's totally cute, Grisha :)

mv
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 10:27 am

CaroleTucson wrote:
I just want a man to be dressed "appropriately" ... and that depends on where we're going, how well we know each other, etc.

I also think this question is very age-dependent. Back when I was a student, wearing jeans and t-shirt was perfectly fine. Now it may or may not be appropriate, depending. I also like to do outdoorsy kinds of things with men, so shorts and t are fine in that case.

This. Plus, I almost never notice someone's clothes, unless they strike me as inappropriate somehow (wrong for the season, or mismatched, or something). I certainly don't think I see them as any sort of personal expression (that's what his car is for! JUST KIDDING, GUYS!).

That being said, I can't think of a single reason why anyone at any time should wear socks with sandals. Just my personal bias, one of those "mismatched" incongruities that's completely my own prejudice.

Oh! If you've just been on a long bike ride, and you're taking off your fancy bike-specific shoes to walk to the car to load your bike, and all you have are sandals, then it's okay. But a lot of people don't wear socks with their bike-specific shoes... :wink:

cdfox7
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 10:29 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Just as an example,
is there a situation where pajamas and socks with flip-flops would be your first choice?
Would the pajamas having a Mario print change your answer?

Yes to go shopping in, I kid you not!
Pajamas have become a day time woman fashion over here in the UK.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 57665.html

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 12:05 pm

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Mario-
I'd just also love it, if I take the time to drag out the Nair and a lil' mascara,
someone steppin out with me would put on some jeans. :?

to his Interest."

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 12:41 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I love me some Mario-
I'd just also love it, if I take the time to drag out the Nair and a lil' mascara,
someone steppin out with me would put on some jeans. :?

I actually think that's the key. Anything is okay (even nothing), as long as the other person is wearing a similar attire.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

Aspiestar924
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Aug 2011, 2:15 pm

I think, and this applies to either gender, be yourself and therefore than can be casual or smart. Just be clean to make a good first impression.

Your Aspie score: 193 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 43 of 200

NickKotarski

20 Aug 2011, 2:35 pm

Never been on a date before but I TapouT & Affliction t-shirts work well.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 4:39 pm

I will wear a polo and khakis on the first date, then T-shirt and shorts on subsequent dates.

Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 5:56 pm

I have no idea...

I can see the models on the billboard but I never understand what is so special about what they are wearing. Maybe I simply don't have any 'normal' sense of aesthetics (that also applies to music and art).

On top of that I don't have ANY 'friends' who would give me any advice.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 6:52 pm

01001011 wrote:
I have no idea...

I can see the models on the billboard but I never understand what is so special about what they are wearing. Maybe I simply don't have any 'normal' sense of aesthetics (that also applies to music and art).

I don't have any friends either, but based on feedback I've gotten I do reasonably well in the clothes departmant based solely on my own efforts.

Why don't you develop a style which reflects your sense of aesthetics? Who cares about what's "normal" anyway...

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 8:36 pm

I go business casual.

Pants (not jeans), a long sleeve button shirt, leather shoes, clean shaven..and my leather jacket if we're going to a place that the AC is set on 'ridiculously high' .

If it is just to hang around at home or go shopping then I do wear my cargo pants and a tshirt..nothing torn/dirty.

Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 3:20 pm

Grisha wrote:
01001011 wrote:
I have no idea...

I don't have any friends either, but based on feedback I've gotten I do reasonably well in the clothes departmant based solely on my own efforts.

Why don't you develop a style which reflects your sense of aesthetics? Who cares about what's "normal" anyway...

But where do I get any advice? I don't even know what kind of stores I should go. I never do any 'shopping' - I always decide what do I buy before I go to the shops.