has anyone here ever ridden on amtrak?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 3:38 pm

im going to florida in a few days and staying in orlando for universal studios then im staying a few days with a freind in the area ( she recently moved to florida from near me) then she is going to help me to the train station to take a train to tampa where my dad is going to pick me and take me to the motel where me and my parents are staying in the tampa area for the next week week and a half . what do the amtrak trains look like inside also if you have been on long island railroad or metro north trains are amtrak trains similar? are there bathrooms in every car ?

safffron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2011, 3:55 pm

You'll find that the interior of the Amtrak cars are similar to LIRR and Metro North cars. In the trains I've been on, there are usually two seats on either side of the isle, but this might vary. In coach there's a bathroom or two at one end of each car. There will also be a dining car with OK food that can be overpriced. I usually pack some food or snacks.

PaintingDiva
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2011, 4:09 pm

Amtrak is ohhkay, I highly recommend going fully prepared, with your own snacks, chocolate, water and electronic devices, whatever keeps you amused and if you really want to be prepared, your own hand wipes. As far as I remember the trains have bathrooms on each car, there is usually a car that serves prepared food. And also be ready for delays, I hope you don't get any but it happens.

I actually enjoy riding on trains but have a few bad memories of taking the train from Philadelphia to Boston for Thanksgiving and there were delays and I felt like I was in Russia or something. Finally got there but it took awhile and being the holidays, the train was crowded too.

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 4:10 pm

It shouldn't be much fancier than your average commuter train. Superliners/overnight trains are a little nicer, but it's nothing special.

Didacticity
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Aug 2011, 5:58 pm

Amtrak trains are okay, so long as it's not a long trip. Three or four hours on a train is okay, perhaps even enjoyable for its novelty, but something like eighteen hours is masochistic and ill-advised. I used Amtrak for a couple of trips to and from college, and after a few hours the lack of privacy and the bumpy ride (which makes reading difficult) can be oppressive. If it's a long trip, take a plane, which really isn't much more expensive.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 6:36 pm

They look like this:

Here's a whole page about it:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/560698254FzoiBX[

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 7:24 pm

It would seem that riding IN an Amtrak would work better than ON.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 8:06 pm

I've taken Amtrak too many times to count (over 20 at least) and in fact I've done so much in the past three years that I got a free trip through Guest Rewards. I'd rather take the train than fly, and this is someone that likes flying. On Amtrak, you don't go through harassing security, getting your ticket is a breeze and the train is pleasant, but then again, I'm a die-hard railfan. But I recommend Amtrak to anyone, despite the railroad's shortcomings. And Amtrak has made great strides in just a few years.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 8:59 pm

I've never actually been on one. Although, if you're taking an Amtrak to avoid I-4, I don't blame you. Personally, I would probably take the interstate, but I-4 from Orlando to Tampa is absolutely horrible.

klikmaus

20 Aug 2011, 9:48 pm

I rode an Amtrack train in Michigan back in June.

Yes, I do believe there is a bathroom in every car. One thing worth noting is they have regular 110v wall receptacles to power your laptop, phone charger, video game etc... but make sure you have headphones. There's a folding table on the back of each seat that you can sit your laptop on. They don't have 12v DC power though.

Ditaciticity----I rode Greyhound from Long Beach, CA to Flint, MI back in May. two and a half days of transferring from one bus to another. I would have MUCH rather rode the train. The seats are bigger!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 10:06 pm

I've ridden on one twice. They have dining cars where you go and eat but you have to pay and I don't really like their food except breakfast. They also have a car with sky lights with all these seats and two TVs and on the bottom floor is a snack area and tables and a TV. Every night they play a new release movie.

All the other cars are just where people sit and below it is a area where people keep their luggage and there are the bathrooms. In some cars it's more seats for people in wheelchairs and in some others is the kiddy car which is a empty room with a TV where they play cartoons and have some activities in there.

And there are sleeping cars but that costs extra.

There are no showers on the train so you would have to sponge bath.

FearOfMusic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 2:51 am

I've taken Amtrak to and from Chicago a couple times and I like it much more than flying. I actually find it more comfortable and quiet than a large airliner is. The power outlet is nice too. I also like that, at least for the trips I have been on, there is no assigned seating so you can space yourself from the other passengers if the train is not too full.

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2011, 3:44 am

I've traveled Amtrack from Boston MA to New York and back. It's slower but far more pleasant than flying. US trains are more comfortable and have better seat pitch than any we have in the UK, but travel more slowly. Intermediate stops were often at tiny stations with short platforms so if you're getting off in the middle of nowhere you'll need to know which carriage you should be in.