Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

How is your executive functioning level?
1) I have been diagnosed with AS and I don't have or exhibit the common "executive dysfunction" associated with autism. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
2) I have AS and ADHD, but I seem to fit the ADHD side of Executive Dysfunction. 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
3)My executive functioning varies a lot, as between good to bad, depending on conditions such as stress, etc.. 45%  45%  [ 18 ]
4)My "executive dysfunction" is pretty stable, it changes little. 30%  30%  [ 12 ]
5) I just have ADHD(ADD)(so far) and my level varies. 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
6) I have ADHD and my EF level is about the same on any given day. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 40

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 11:22 pm

I crafted a poll to see whether someone can have AS, but not "executive dysfunction," (curious) and how, if they have this, if their condition fades away into near a non-issue, but then expresses itself to an impairing level. In other words does this widely fluctuate with you?

A short definition: Executive functioning is primarily the use of your working memory to plan things , and such as keeping track of multiple data streams, and executing these actions. This "working memory" permeates into the social sphere and "practical" things. It could be driving, communicating, or simply shopping.

I have ADHD, and have a widely fluctuating performance level. I'm not sure why this vacillates like this, but according to the literature this is "par" or not unusual for this condition.

I suspect stress and lack of sleep as one trigger, but I believe I still fluctuate, to a lesser degree in "normal" periods. (Obviously) I've been born with this, and I think living with this you get used to these higher functioning levels, and you're duped into thinking you're normal. But when thinking hard about my functioning level, I'm still quite impaired, when I see myself alongside my compatriots.

In other words I'm always compensating for this, even on a "good" day, but I don't really notice it, until I watch myself -- the Joe next store doesn't do what I do.

How's your level WP?

Last edited by Mdyar on 29 Aug 2011, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

28 Aug 2011, 11:44 pm

I have executive function difficulties that stem from:

* The typical difficulties that seem to come along with autism
* ADHD, which overlaps with the above.
* Fibromyalgia, "fibro fog" which overlaps with the above. Being tired all the time because of it also does not help.

Throw in some depression when the depression is going and ... yeah.

I couldn't find an answer that fit in your poll, although I guess the ADHD one is the closest.

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 11:53 pm

I'm pretty good at planning, less good at execution.

I have AS and strongly suspect ADHD-I.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 11:55 pm

I can't even find an answer on the poll for "I have an ASD, and exhibit the executive dysfunction associated with an ASD, however, don't have ADHD as a comorbid or those challenges"

I definitely don't match ADHD, but that doesn't mean I have no executive functioning problems. It does mean however, that I only have the ones associated with ASDs.

However, it definitely varies how bad it is, and on average they're much more minor than lots of people on WP.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 11:58 pm

Tuttle wrote:
I can't even find an answer on the poll for "I have an ASD, and exhibit the executive dysfunction associated with an ASD, however, don't have ADHD as a comorbid or those challenges"

I definitely don't match ADHD, but that doesn't mean I have no executive functioning problems. It does mean however, that I only have the ones associated with ASDs.

However, it definitely varies how bad it is, and on average they're much more minor than lots of people on WP.

3 or 4 Tuttle.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 12:01 am

Mdyar wrote:
Tuttle wrote:

3 or 4 Tuttle.

I'd not say it is either stable or that it varies a lot between good and bad though - I'd say it solidly varies, but even at my worst its more minor than someone with ADHD.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 12:04 am

Tuttle wrote:
Mdyar wrote:
Tuttle wrote:

3 or 4 Tuttle.

I'd not say it is either stable or that it varies a lot between good and bad though - I'd say it solidly varies, but even at my worst its more minor than someone with ADHD.

Interesting. This can be horrible from an ASD side or an ADHD side. You're fortunate.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

29 Aug 2011, 12:07 am

The most comprehensive research paper I've read about executive function difficulties in autism said they tend to be more severe than the executive function difficulties in ADHD.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 12:29 am

Well, I was comparing myself to people with both ASD and ADHD, I don't have a comparision for only ADHD, don't know any of those types of people.

I ended up voting 3.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 12:49 am

Tuttle wrote:

I was looking for this answer as well! I have autism without ADHD and I exhibit the type of executive dysfunction generally common in those on the spectrum.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 2:15 am

I usually don't have problems with executive function, but if I'm really stressed all functioning goes directly down into the sewer.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 4:03 am

I have AS and my level of EF is pretty constant.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 4:41 am

What exactly are the differences between EF associated with AS and with ADHD(ADD)?
I seem to remember someone saying meds won't help EF associated with AS. I don't know why that would be. Meds make a difference with me but I still am significantly impaired.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 4:58 am

Aimless wrote:
What exactly are the differences between EF associated with AS and with ADHD(ADD)?
I seem to remember someone saying meds won't help EF associated with AS. I don't know why that would be. Meds make a difference with me but I still am significantly impaired.

More tendency toward inertia, less tendency toward impulsiveness - this isn't really 100%, as ADHDers deal with inertia too, and I think impulsiveness is an issue for a lot of autistic people.

I can't produce a detailed explanation at the moment. I'll have to track down the pdf again and look for the summary/conclusions.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

29 Aug 2011, 7:49 am

Hell if I know how to measure my instantaneous executive functioning levels.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 7:57 am

swbluto wrote:
Hell if I know how to measure my instantaneous executive functioning levels.

Well sir, it can't be done with math equations, I'm afraid. :lol: