Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

How is your executive functioning level?
1) I have been diagnosed with AS and I don't have or exhibit the common "executive dysfunction" associated with autism. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
2) I have AS and ADHD, but I seem to fit the ADHD side of Executive Dysfunction. 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
3)My executive functioning varies a lot, as between good to bad, depending on conditions such as stress, etc.. 45%  45%  [ 18 ]
4)My "executive dysfunction" is pretty stable, it changes little. 30%  30%  [ 12 ]
5) I just have ADHD(ADD)(so far) and my level varies. 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
6) I have ADHD and my EF level is about the same on any given day. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 40

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 7:57 am

swbluto wrote:
Hell if I know how to measure my instantaneous executive functioning levels.

Well sir, it can't be done with math equations, I'm afraid. :lol:

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 8:51 am

It varies a lot. Stress and especially lack of sleep are killers. Even so, it's not good by all means: I don't plan well and I have problems keeping multiple things in my head at the same time. I'm also laughably incompetent at shopping, where I need to have very specific instructions indeed.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

29 Aug 2011, 9:13 am

Mdyar wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Hell if I know how to measure my instantaneous executive functioning levels.

Well sir, it can't be done with math equations, I'm afraid. :lol:

Well sir, if it can't be done with math equations, it's not worth measuring I'm afraid. :lol:

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 9:24 am

Someone asked what the difference is between ADHD style executive dysfunction and autistic style executive dysfunction. Be aware that these are stereotypes and may not hold true for given individuals, but:

* poor inhibition - ADHD, this is what they mean by impulsivity
* poor planning - both ADHD and autism
* poor self-monitoring - ADHD
* poor time sense - autism
* difficulty initiating actions - autism
* difficulty stopping actions (perseveration) - autism
* poor prospective memory (remembering to remember) - ADHD
* difficulty focusing attention - ADHD
* difficulty shifting attention - autism
* better performance when interested - both ADHD and autism, but especially autism
* difficulty tuning out irrelevant information - ADHD

I may have forgotten some. Incidentally, what people refer to as inertia is the combination of difficulty getting started and difficulty stopping once you've started.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 9:53 am

Ettina wrote:
Someone asked what the difference is between ADHD style executive dysfunction and autistic style executive dysfunction. Be aware that these are stereotypes and may not hold true for given individuals, but:

* better performance when interested - both ADHD and autism, but especially autism

I may have forgotten some. Incidentally, what people refer to as inertia is the combination of difficulty getting started and difficulty stopping once you've started.

I have all of those except for the poor inhibition (inhibition is my middle name) and I'm not sure what is meant by poor self monitoring-does that mean self care? I used to get utilities cut off because I'd lose the bill and then forget about it. I'd lose the second notices too. :oops: I'm better with meds and I cross reference everything. I also try to pay bills as soon as I can. I have big trouble filling out forms. They confuse me because I have a tendency to over interpret and if the option isn't exactly what describes my situation then I'm at a loss.

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 12:50 pm

Ettina wrote:

Interesting. I seem to have most of these. Does it count if you have a good way of making yourself remember to remember, though? I have a number of little Chinese statues that I put in front of my computer or wherever I want to remember something.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 1:17 pm

Ettina wrote:

Don't have:
* poor inhibition
* poor prospective memory (remembering to remember)
* difficulty focusing attention

Somewhat have:
* poor planning -- mostly difficulty making decisions leading to this
* difficulty stopping actions (perseveration)-- give me a reason and I don't have issues, I need a reason
* difficulty shifting attention-- again, I need a reason, but I'm apparently abnormally good at this for some on the spectrum

Have:
* poor self-monitoring -- alexithymia does seem to lead to this.
* poor time sense -- I sometimes use music to help improve my time sense
* difficulty initiating actions -- This is the biggest thing I have issues with by far
* better performance when interested -- I feel like this should be true for everyone
* difficulty tuning out irrelevant information -- I actually associate this very strongly with my AS

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 1:18 pm

Quote:
I'm not sure what is meant by poor self monitoring-does that mean self care?

No, self-monitoring is keeping track of how well you are doing.

So, for example, let's say you tend not to feel hungry when you need to eat (which is more of a sensory issue, although overfocusing can be a component too). If you go too long without eating, you get cranky. A person with good self-monitoring would think 'gee, I'm pretty cranky, why might that be?' and realize that they're cranky from hunger, and then eat. A person with poor self-monitoring might think that everyone's randomly decided to pick a fight with them, and not realize they're feeling cranky until someone else comments that they seem cranky and pressures them to eat something.

Or, in school, a kid with a learning disability and good self-monitoring might try an academic task and realize they're finding it really difficult, and decide to ask the teacher or the teacher aide to help them. A kid with a learning disability and poor self-monitoring might think the task is easy for them, until they look at what everyone else is doing and realize they're having a lot more trouble.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

29 Aug 2011, 3:59 pm

Ettina wrote:

I bolded everything I have trouble with.

Incidentally, poor time sense is actually characteristic of ADHD as well.

Meera
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Aug 2011, 4:16 pm

I voted the first one. I have Aspergers Syndrome and have no trouble with Executive Dysfunction.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 5:05 pm

I didn't vote, because I didn't fit any of the options. I have the perseveration of ASD, and hyperfocus with attention-switching difficulty is my primary executive dysfunction issue. But my issues are not stable. I am at my most productive when I am hyperfocused on one topic, stick to a rigid routine to remember to eat/sleep/clean/do other things, and avoid interacting with people who make me sick, tired, confused, and more executively dysfunctional. But all of my ASD-related executive dysfunctions seem normal and healthy for me. How would I function without them? How would I get anything done without hyperfocus and routines for the care and feeding of hyperfocus?

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 5:52 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I didn't vote, because I didn't fit any of the options. I have the perseveration of ASD, and hyperfocus with attention-switching difficulty is my primary executive dysfunction issue. But my issues are not stable. I am at my most productive when I am hyperfocused on one topic, stick to a rigid routine to remember to eat/sleep/clean/do other things, and avoid interacting with people who make me sick, tired, confused, and more executively dysfunctional. But all of my ASD-related executive dysfunctions seem normal and healthy for me. How would I function without them? How would I get anything done without hyperfocus and routines for the care and feeding of hyperfocus?

Good to be positive with this --after all it is "you."

This lady with AS discusses EF and how it affects her. Your post reminded me of this video.

If any have time it is worth a look. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54ko8DW_YuU

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 6:16 pm

Mdyar wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

This lady with AS discusses EF and how it affects her. Your post reminded me of this video.

That is interesting, I never realised that I was 'carrying out daily tasks by spontaneous association rather than deliberate planning', I thought that's how everyone operated. It's like I'm surfing a wave. And neurotypical people can just ignore the wave and do stuff they intend to do? Wow. They must be like gods or something :lol:

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

29 Aug 2011, 6:28 pm

Moog wrote:
Mdyar wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

That is interesting, I never realised that I was 'carrying out daily tasks by spontaneous association rather than deliberate planning', I thought that's how everyone operated. It's like I'm surfing a wave. And neurotypical people can just ignore the wave and do stuff they intend to do? Wow. They must be like gods or something :lol:

I spontaneously associate things I need to do for the day and put them in a list and deliberately execute items on the list one at a time. Otherwise, I forget them.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 6:36 pm

Moog wrote:
Mdyar wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

Great analogy.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 6:37 pm

swbluto wrote:
Moog wrote:
Mdyar wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

I spontaneously associate things I need to do for the day and put them in a list and deliberately execute items on the list one at a time. Otherwise, I forget them.

I can't seem to make lists work for me.