Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2011, 3:54 pm

To a removed and disinterested (valid and objective) observer, the signs of the opposite of autism would be classic sociopathology, with the canonical theoretical model being the character of Iago from Shakespeare's "Othello".

Tadzio

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2011, 7:12 pm

Hasn't this been answered before? The opposite of autism is msitua.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2011, 7:27 pm

Quote:
What is the opposite of autism?

Lawyers, politicians, and sleazy sales people. That's who's opposite. People whose very job is to manipulate others. People who use superior social skills to screw with others without batting an eye. If they can get away with it they will go for it, regardless if it's right or wrong and regardless of who they hurt in the process.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2011, 7:33 pm

Opposite in what way?

Opposite behavior?

Neurology resulting in opposite behavior?

Physically opposite neurology?

Opposite genetic expression?

Manguy89
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Sep 2011, 10:18 pm

Tsukimi wrote:
From what you say, you are simply "whole picture oriented". It's just a learning/thinking style, not a specific condition. Then autism is not only being detail oriented.

The opposite of autism is psychosis if you consider the perception (autists are hyper-perceptive and psychotics are hypo-perceptive) but I don't think it is your case.

I agree with this but I think autism is hypo (lower) because schizophrenics are hyper sensitive to social interaction. To the point they can hear voices, over read what someone is nonverbally communicating. Feel that things like tv shows are directly connected to them.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 7:54 am

Ettina wrote:
Nope, psychotics can be hyperperceptive and autistics can be hypoperceptive. Many schizophrenics struggle with sensory overload, which can be both exacerbated by and a trigger for hallucinations. And some autistics will hurt themselves without feeling any pain

Yes - I agree. For me it is sensory overload -> stress -> triggers paranoid thinking or hallucinations. And I used to scratch my skin until it bled as a kid and I didn't seem to be bothered by any pain. I've always been hyposensitive to pain.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 8:59 am

The opposite of Autism is neuro-typical (not Autistic).

to his Interest."

archraphael
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Sep 2011, 9:17 am

I disagree with the whole 'psychosis is opposite autism'... People can have both simultaneously...

I do NOT believe hypo-sensitivity is the case of psychosis. I believe autism and psychotic prone people have the same vulnerability - stress overload. IE 1 slot, 15 oranges, compared to 'normal' people who have 15 slots for 15 oranges.
.... which can either dip you into anxiety, depression or psychosis. Depression and psychosis have been hypothesized to cause disabling brain damage.

I would say on the severe end of stress, especially since autistic people can experience severe social stress leading to pretty much all other stress factors, that any 3 can be the state... I myself have experienced severe anxiety and depression... On the SEVERE end of my depression OR anxiety I have experienced thought distortions, hallucinations ie voices, ghosts, horror/delirium type patterns... I have experienced recently a very prolonged state of depression which I would say, with psychic features, ie mental telepathy, ultra-violet sensory tactile sensations, paranoia, etc. *Ironically* I'm on Wellbutrin now which would supposedly worsen psychotic symptoms but it has almost completely alleviated the depression that was compressing and destroying my brain preventing me from doing my work...

I myself also experience extreme empathy and if someone around me is agitated or upset I can absorb their emotions like a sponge or mirror. However I just, have a hard time expressing my emotions and expressing myself physically or 'floating on air' like 'neurotypicals' seem to do.

I believe the opposite of AUTISM is, as they say NEUROTYPICALISM... or as I would say, MANIPULATIVE/PASSIVE AGGRESSIVISM. I would even say that the EXTREME opposite of autism would be sociopathy -> psychopathy, but they share 'lack of empathy' traits. I would say highly people-oriented, passive aggressive, extraverted, cliquey type people would be opposite of autism.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 1:21 pm

Aimless wrote:
Tsukimi wrote:
From what you say, you are simply "whole picture oriented". It's just a learning/thinking style, not a specific condition. Then autism is not only being detail oriented.

The opposite of autism is psychosis if you consider the perception (autists are hyper-perceptive and psychotics are hypo-perceptive) but I don't think it is your case.

That's interesting. I never knew that. Why aren't autists hyper perceptive then, when it comes to non verbal cues? My nephew is paranoid schizophrenic and he finds meaning in insignificant details.

Schziophrenics are deifntely hyperperceptive as well.

My dad is also paranoid schizophrenic, they make connections that most people don't make, but autism and schizophrenia are most likely two sides of the same genetic coin, autism possibly being a "masculinized" manifestation of the same traits you see in schizophrenics.

QueenoftheOwls

04 Sep 2011, 1:46 pm

. Never being lonely. living in a world of millions. Being just like everyone else. Feeling at home on this planet.Princess Diana complained that there were three people in her marriage. That shows she was non-autistic. An autistic would complain about living in a marriage of one.

mapaxn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Aug 2012, 3:56 am

Hi. I registered at this web site because I was googling for conditions that might be considered the opposite of autism. My daughter was just recently evaluated by a psychiatrist for the possibility of placement in special education. Her scores were this - right brain, she is put in the category of "very superior intelligence" at 127. Left brain? Not by a long shot at 85 which is "dull normal".

According to a lot of the replies in this thread, my daughter would be stereotyped as "neurotypical", or manipulative, sociopathic, passive/aggressive or a socialite. Wow, just wow.

She doesn't have a big social life, spends much of her time in artistic pursuits, or having political conversations with me about social justice. Not only can I carry on mature conversations with her about world events, she *understands them*. I pay hobb trying to get most adults to think beyond their personal beliefs, but she *gets it* right away. Someone earlier mentioned right brainers as being "big picture thinkers," well she definitely falls into that category.

Oh, and she does get lonely - but she'd rather be alone than be in a group of bullies. Hardly the "cliquish" or "elitist" type.

She isn't a perfect child - but she is good natured and honest to a fault. Her emotions are raw and spontaneous, not contrived. She's quite far from the psychopath/sociopath/jerk people here make her out to be. I'm surprised nobody here has called her a "dirty hippy" as some other adults have.

I have two points to make. One - if you want people to give you the benefit of the doubt, then reciprocate that for "other" people or those who struggle with the "opposite" problem. Kthx. Two - I am sincerely searching for the condition that is opposite of autism, which IMO is not Williams Syndrome. You cannot "look" at someone's head shape or irises and know they are autistic, right? So if there is an opposite to autism, I doubt it would be immediately obvious physiologically.

I'm don't think the opposite of autism is schizophrenia either, because schizophrenia is a condition that is degenerative and linked to certain neurochemical processes. I've never read anything to indicate that autism is associated with chemical imbalances or brain tissue degeneration.

If one would look for "the opposite of autism" it would operate in the same conditions - it's something you're likely born with, isn't immediately obvious physiologically nor is it associated with physiological syndromes, and doesn't manifest due to chemical imbalance, degenerating brain tissue or intermittent "flares" like mental illnesses do. It's always possible to be autistic or "opposite of autistic" and also have a mental illness, but I don't believe that the two are mutually exclusive.

There is also the obstacle of not only finding a name for what my daughter experiences - but perhaps even convincing The Establishment to give it a name so extreme-right-brained folks aren't just dismissed as "not functioning the way everyone thinks they should." That alone is fraught with many issues; not to mention the bootstrapping politics of hard nosed Americans who believe that being born different is something to *overcome* rather than appreciated as having a place in society.

More often than not, my daughter is the target of contempt and character assassination (not just in this thread, but general society) which leads me to believe that American society does not value art or empathy nearly as much as people say it does. There is evidence of this in places like public school system that sink huge amounts of money into sports programs; but almost nothing into art or humanities.

One also cannot depend on having a great career or income on artistic ability, perceptual reasoning, or big picture thinking alone. One *might* have a future if those abilities are "paired" with certain left brain abilities like mathematics for graphic design, or developing attention to detail that would be helpful in political science.

I could go on, but this post has gotten long enough. I'm interested in hearing back from people who are genuinely understanding and respectful of my daughter's limits; who want to puzzle this out and hopefully find some answers for all of us.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Aug 2012, 4:08 am

Just off the top of my head, I would say codependence. However, codependence is not an official diagnosis.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Aug 2012, 4:12 am

I have never cared for the term neurotypical - unless it is used as a replacement for normal.

However, calling everyone who is not Autistic neurotypical makes no sense to me. Are any of the disorders in the DSM neurotypical?

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 12:24 pm

mapxn, no one here is talking about your daughter. As far as I know, no one here knows your daughter. Accusing people of "character assassination" for their guesses (as autistic people) about the opposite of autism is just ridiculous. As far as I can see, they're talking about the opposite of the symptoms of autism, not about right or left brained anything: I don't know what makes you think that applies to your daughter, because from your description it does not. Calm down!

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 1:04 pm

It's a spectrum that spans the entire human experience marked by differences and/or impairments in social interaction, communication, and restricted interest/repetitive behaviors.

There is no clear opposite of Autism.

Autistics can experience hypo and/ or hyper functionality. This would explain the span of abilities and disabilities THAT exist within the population.

When you have a condition which(as science is beginning to believe) deals with the rewiring of the brain, coupled with an individual's unique DNA, and environmental exposure then ......

While similarities may exist; your autism aint gonna be someone elses.

TheSunAlsoRises

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 3:45 pm

If you buy SBC's theories, he suggested there must be the "Extreme Type E" which is extreme empathising and extremely deficient systemizing. He theorized that this exceptionally poor systemizing would in itself cause it's own practical life issues.

There's a new scientist article posted here: http://s1.zetaboards.com/anthroscape/topic/3056803/1/

Interesting reading.

Jason.