Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 3:45 pm

If you buy SBC's theories, he suggested there must be the "Extreme Type E" which is extreme empathising and extremely deficient systemizing. He theorized that this exceptionally poor systemizing would in itself cause it's own practical life issues.

There's a new scientist article posted here: http://s1.zetaboards.com/anthroscape/topic/3056803/1/

Interesting reading.

Jason.

SavageMessiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Aug 2012, 8:13 pm

Going by a matrix of word fragments and literal meanings, my two best guesses are:

inautism -or- manism (in reference to automatic/manual control)

All this talk about literalness and I'm still first to these jokes. I'm hopeless!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 8:26 pm

The usual answer to that question is "Williams Syndrome"- a rare condition in which people MUST socialize constantly. A reporter on the radio was awestruck by a video of a little girl with the condition who wouldnt stop getting a little boys face and yakking at him while he was trying to build something with blocks.

And to a great extant that would be the "opposite of autism".

I wonder what would happen if you put a williams syndrom person in a room with an autistic. They might ware each other out and both turn normal!

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 8:31 pm

autism= within the self -from Greek so the opposite could be called socioism and would describe someone very well integrated with the social community or with those around them.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 8:38 pm

To the OP and to the man whose daughter has a big IQ discrepancy and is very "whole picture" oriented if their main problems are a lack of attention to/memory for/analysis of detail, and difficulty with systems (which the OP mentioned-I'm not sure about the little girl) then these individuals may have some form of learning disability. Remember it's possible to be gifted (have an IQ in the superior range) and have a learning disability in terms of very specific cognitive skills.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 9:16 pm

I would not consider Williams Syndrome, the opposite of Autism...

http://ukpmc.ac.uk/articles/PMC2763277/ ... EewIFv6.12

TheSunAlsoRises

UDAspie13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2012, 9:52 pm

Ettina wrote:
Firstly, mini-rant - NT does not mean non-autistic! A DS kid with an IQ of 50 and a relative strength in social skills is not NT, but they aren't autistic either!

OK, now that I have that out of my system...

According to the EQ SQ, you can be an 'Extreme Empathizer'. That's probably the closest I've seen to an opposite for autism. Incidentally I've heard that many Extreme Empathizers end up marrying autistics, because they're impressed by autistic talents and the autistic partner is impressed by their social skills. Many such marriages can be rocky because the partners are so vastly different, but some make it work.

Quote:
The opposite of autism is psychosis if you consider the perception (autists are hyper-perceptive and psychotics are hypo-perceptive) but I don't think it is your case.

Nope, psychotics can be hyperperceptive and autistics can be hypoperceptive. Many schizophrenics struggle with sensory overload, which can be both exacerbated by and a trigger for hallucinations. And some autistics will hurt themselves without feeling any pain, or act like they're deaf because they don't notice sounds, etc.

uh, don't you mean non-autistic doesn't mean NT? Because by definition NT does mean non-autistic.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 10:07 pm

NoTism?

SHEILD
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Aug 2012, 10:12 pm

I read about William’s syndrome and kind of felt it was our opposite in that the individuals are very social and outgoing and when you think of autism, stereotypically we're seen as not -in my limited understanding of the syndrome.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 11:35 pm

Paris Hilton and Jenny McCarthy.Image

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 11:53 pm

Jtuk wrote:
If you buy SBC's theories, he suggested there must be the "Extreme Type E" which is extreme empathising and extremely deficient systemizing. He theorized that this exceptionally poor systemizing would in itself cause it's own practical life issues.

There's a new scientist article posted here: http://s1.zetaboards.com/anthroscape/topic/3056803/1/

Interesting reading.

Jason.

SBC suggests the Extreme Type E is harder to spot as being "different", or at least is more easily accepted, which might be why it doesn't have a name yet. I like this paragraph from his book The Essential Difference:

"When we find someone with the extreme female brain, my guess is that we will also find that society has made it easy for them to find a niche and a value, without that person having to feel that they must in some way hide their systemblindness. I hope that at least one benefit of this book is that society might become more accepting of essential sex differences in the mind, and make it easier for someone with the extreme male brain to find their niche and for us to acknowledge their value. They should not feel the need to hide their mindblindness (as many currently do)."

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2012, 5:43 am

The opposite of autism is cheerleader. Always. It's also the archenemy.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

AceX
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

b9
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2012, 10:11 am

the opposite of everything is nothing. nothing that exists has an "opposite" unless it could be said that a mirror image of it's particular construction in an antimatter world constitutes an absolute "complement".
even if it could exist, it remains to be addressed that the functionality of any antimatter "alter-ego" is identical in "systematic effect pertinent to it's anti-material side of reality" to the "systematic effect pertinent to the material side of reality" of my being, and therefore they are not infinitely opposite.

is infinity-1 still infinity?

logically it is. infinity is larger than can be quantified by any means, so any subtraction from it is not quantifiable.

anyway, i can not think of a perfect example of a true opposite of autism, because "autism" is not immutable, and therefore no fixed "antithesis" can be derived.

i am rather cold and emotionless, and i am not able to be flattered. i do not particularly care about what runs through the minds of other people. i am unable to congratulate or commiserate people. i remain unmoved emotionally when i am told of good or bad
fortune. i will help if i can, but i do not worry on their behalf.

i do not seek to contact anyone i know ever. i never ring anyone or visit anyone i know.

if i considered myself as a model for "autism", i would erroneously idealize an antithesis of how i am, and the antithetical person i may describe would be a very affable and inquiring and concerned and involved person, but it would also be a superficial and contrived person.

i do not trust people like that so i would not trust a person who was the opposite of me to be real.

so i can summarize by saying i have no idea.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2012, 11:47 am

I disagree with the idea that autistics do not have empathy--I know that quite a few autistics experience echopraxia and mirror-touch synesthesia. I am not among them, and in fact experience little mirroring of any kind (except for echolalia), but I know that many such autistics exist. There has to be some more basic cognitive trait, perhaps related to information-processing, that is more fundamental to autism.

Williams syndrome has often been pointed to as the opposite of autism. These people are highly social, linguistically skilled, and usually very skilled with socializing, despite their developmental delay in other areas. But they also have some traits associated with autism, such as speech delay (learn to speak late, but catch on fast) and savant-like musical talent.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

undefineable
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Aug 2012, 4:40 pm

The opposite of autism would result in a hive-mind kind of being like an ant, with no mind to call its own. Anyone who can be considered an individual with a discrete stream of consciousness is autistic up to a point - Autism as a condition just takes this basic fact of life to its extreme logical conclusion.